News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

EDIT: After reading Markster's post, I realized that they are open spaces, not fold-up seats. My point about the velvet rope still stands though.
I actually don't know what exactly they are like on these trains. I assumed the "worst". If they are fold up seats, then that's even better.

I am wondering if it would make more sense to have the wheelchair spots in one car...are elevator locations (in relation to the train), relatively consistent throughout the TTC?
Most of the TTC stations are old and have buildings and other things on top of them; it is not easy to retrofit them with elevators in the first place, having the elevators in some standard location (useful though it would be) is impossible and is why they vary.

I actually don't know what exactly they are like on these trains. I assumed the "worst". If they are fold up seats, then that's even better.

I'm just going by based on what they are on the T1s. Either way, it's hardly the end of the world if someone has to move on occasion to let someone in a wheelchair have access to that space. 98% of the time that space will be used by an able-bodied person anyway. But for the 2% of the time that it's needed, it would be great to have it in every car, not just in one.

Wheelchair seats are also useful to stow away luggage under the seats on the T1s on the way to Kipling, and possibly the airport

GO train doors are a large step up from platform level, so GO transit had to build a raised platform with ramps on each platform to accomodate wheelchairs. The location has no relation to the elevators, and I'm sure they would use more accessible cars if the step wasn't an obstacle.

The mini-platform requires a manually-placed to get to and from the coach, where the conductor has been located (used to be on the top of one of the end cars, operating the doors from there). In Europe and some of the New York area lines high platforms do the trick (just like the subway here) but since all of the GO lines carry freight traffic, high platforms don't work except perhaps within Union Station, where they already are slightly higher than standard. VIA trains have an accessible position in the VIA 1 car with a reservation, but require a mechanical lift set up at the station. The mini-platform set up (which was possible with GO's pioneering bilevel coach with low floors to begin with) is very efficient in comparison.

But GO has many places within one coach where there's a staff member to assist and where an accessible washroom is located. In one of its rare triumphs of genius, they made accessibility work really well in a North American mainline commuter railway with a really simple solution.

Elevator locations are not consistent through out the system. Even then, the dispersal of disabled seating enables more room when needed (not that most people would take advantage of this since everyone seems to want a seat).

The accessible spots have flip down seats like the the ones on the VIVA buses, that allow anyone to used that area when not used by accessible needs, strollers, bikes and large objects.

I have been pushing for these flip down seat long before the TR came out, not only for the subway, but all the buses. This also applies to other systems as well TTC.

This way, a person with a stroller can roll it into this spot without lifting the current method. It helps to free up the flow passage and not block riders movements like it does today with the current seat. Only good for 2 stroller.

Having these seats does not require the driver to get out of their seat to fold up the seat as well tell people to move when the needs raised.

When the person gets up from the seat, it will flip backup.

But GO has many places within one coach where there's a staff member to assist and where an accessible washroom is located. In one of its rare triumphs of genius, they made accessibility work really well in a North American mainline commuter railway with a really simple solution.

Compared to how they made it work in Salt Lake City - which uses the same equipment - the GO solution looks haggard and half-assed.

UTA built their platforms at the same level as the lower floor of the car, and a steel "step" at that same height and 8 or so inches wide immediately outside the doors. Voila - instant level-platform loading that clears just about all freight equipment in North America.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I saw 2 or 3 at the Wilson Yard on Saturday.
3 or 4 there Thursday evening. 5411-5416 was sat 2-3 tracks away from the main line, and in the distance, in the northwest part of the yard, you could make our 2-3 more TRs lined up.

3 or 4 there Thursday evening. 5411-5416 was sat 2-3 tracks away from the main line, and in the distance, in the northwest part of the yard, you could make our 2-3 more TRs lined up.

The TTC has 4 sets on the property - set 2 (5391-5396), set 3 (5401-5406), set 4 (5411-5416) and set 5 (5421-5426). Set 1 (5381-5386) is still in Kingston, and set 6 (5431-5436) should start to arrive in 2 weeks.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

The 4th train is not operational yet, it is still being put together.

You will see more of the TR on the mainline as it is being used by OTC (training department) to train yard personnel, it is a 5 day course which is being done on day and afternoon shifts.

Caught one of the new trains at Wellesley tonight. Wouldn't have even noticed it if they hadn't popped the doors open on the wrong side (I was on the opposite platform). I hope they clean up some of that cabling before they put them into service ;)

Last edited:

Back