News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

I appreciate that you took the time to take and post a video but at the same time I wonder how you shot that video. Do you dangle your camera from the end of a rope? :confused:
Sorry about that I am terrible at holding the camera still when I take videos.....I think it's just b/c I don't want to get caught...... taking video on TTC property.:p

The article then goes on to cite some unrealistic ridership figures (1.6 million per day spread across two lines) - comments???

This may be right. Lagos is a city of 15 million teeming people. And over 300,000 people come into the city from all over Nigeria and other west African countries each day for commercial activities. If you have ever been to Lagos, you will believe this figure. Its crazy out there!

And the entire line could be a myth. Better make sure the cheque doesn't bounce before the cars go on the boat.

Hehe! CPCS Transcom Ltd., an Ottawa-based company, handling much of the project has successfully done a number of major multimillion dollars projects in Nigeria. So I believe its real and the check wont bounce. Read this article: http://www.lagosians.com/forum/topics/lagos-settles-for-refurbished?xg_source=activity. Having said that, I am happy Canada is having the spatial dimension of the project. China has been winning majority of such projects in Africa lately.

And the entire line could be a myth. Better make sure the cheque doesn't bounce before the cars go on the boat.

Hehe! CPCS Transcom Ltd., an Ottawa-based company, handling much of the project has successfully done a number of major multimillion dollars projects in Nigeria. So I believe its real and the check wont bounce. Read this article: http://www.lagosians.com/forum/topics/lagos-settles-for-refurbished?xg_source=activity. Having said that, I am happy Canada is having the spatial dimension of the project. China has been winning majority of such projects in Africa lately.

There i an emergency evac planed on the TR at Davisville around noon time. Staff personnel will be used from head office

It looks like the floor is just covered up with plywood, to protect it from damage.

Testing is done by Bombardier Engineers to TTC specs, once all the specs pass then we take the cars over

As for the floors, they are covered to protect it from the concrete blocks that are put in there to simulate weight

Trains are being used now for training purposes on days and afternoon shifts

Last edited:
How many train will enter the service ??

You may see 4-6 for now, with more been added as they are received and tested for the rest of the year and 2012. Not many sets on site now. Dan knowns the true numbers of sets on site now.

That article is somewhat amusing. They're talking about the Hawker-Siddeley H6s, yet the close up picture is of a Bombardier T1, and the interior picture is of the Toronto Rocket mockup. As well, how are the trains going to travel at 100km/h? Their top speed is 80km/h. According to the article "experts say [new trains would cost] several millions of dollars". First of all, I'm not sure why they needed experts to tell them that, and secondly, shouldn't this purchase also cost several millions of dollars?

And the article doesn't answer the question of how they plan to run massive (3.1m wide!) third-rail vehicles on a light rail line.

Last edited:
And the article doesn't answer the question of how they plan to run massive (3.1m wide!) third-rail vehicles on a light rail line.

3.1m would be very wide for middle of the street but LAMATA plans on running these in/adjacent to a pre-existing rail corridor, potentially in a dedicated ROW. It really isn't any different than the stretch near Kipling.

Light-rail rather than heavy-rail is probably due to the cost of the rail itself. Softer/lighter metals tend to be cheaper than what North Americans require for freight traffic.

For that matter, I would be surprised if TTC subway wasn't light-rail too. Does anyone know?

Dave, 4 trains at this point. The 5th train is supposed to arrive this coming week, but I doubt that it will be ready for service by the middle of June.

For that matter, I would be surprised if TTC subway wasn't light-rail too. Does anyone know?

It is light rail, in that it does not comply with FRA/TC regulations and so there is no federal oversight. You can't run a subway on a freight line.

But in a transit context, the subway is heavy rail as the cars and the infrastructure is much more massive than those used on the streets.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

For those interested...

Come see the new Toronto Rocket
On dispay[sic] at Davisvile[sic] Station on Sunday, May 29th from 10:00am - 4:00pm.

Some quick TR pictures, enjoy

Attachments

• photo(2).jpg
    photo(2).jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 344
  • photo(5).jpg
    photo(5).jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 278
  • photo(3).jpg
    photo(3).jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 259
  • photo(6).jpg
    photo(6).jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 258
  • photo(7).jpg
    photo(7).jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 278
  • photo(8).jpg
    photo(8).jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 251
  • photo(1).jpg
    photo(1).jpg
    86 KB · Views: 254
  • photo(4).jpg
    photo(4).jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 278
Last edited:
Nice pics of TR, cant wait to ride it. The gap between platform and train looks more even then some of the older trains on the TTC. Since I use a wheelchair for mobility I require the gap to be even so I can get on the train. The worst station for wheelchairs is Eglinton due to the fact that the train is much higher then the platform.

Back