News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

I read somewhere that the top speed of our current trains is about 90km/h, and that the new ones were slightly slower (approx. 85km/h). Does anyone know what their top speed is? IMO with interstations up to 2km long, our subways should max out at least at 100km/h.

I have driven many trains and the best I have ever done was about 65 km/h

I got a really nice look (my first too) of the new trains last night at St. Andrew Station. I got really excited as it pulled up and stopped in the station heading north. I was disappointed that the doors didn't open (not surprised though) but I did get an upclose look for a minute or so. It did sound quieter entering/leaving the station.

Not sure how I feel about the new announcements. Not that I love "Our Lady of the Subways" and her propensity to over-enunciate, but the choppy stylings of a computer voice are even worse. Are their plans to migrate the traditional announcements onto the TRs or will they not work with the new visual system?

I read somewhere that the top speed of our current trains is about 90km/h, and that the new ones were slightly slower (approx. 85km/h). Does anyone know what their top speed is? IMO with interstations up to 2km long, our subways should max out at least at 100km/h.

The specified top speed of all our current subway trains (H4, H5, H6, T1 has been 88km/h, and the top allowed speed in service is apparently 80km/h. I know that many railway certifications require trains to be able to operate at 10% above their normal allowed speed, so if that's the case here, it would explain these numbers.

Although the specs are identical, I do get the impression the T1s are slower than the H series, and I expect the TRs will be even slower than the T1s.

With 2km spacing there's plenty of space to get up to 100km/h, but our trains are simply to slow to do that. Within tunnels, air resistance is so significant that they can't really exceed about 65km/h. The only really long outside stretch is between Warden and Victoria Park.

The specified top speed of all our current subway trains (H4, H5, H6, T1 has been 88km/h, and the top allowed speed in service is apparently 80km/h. I know that many railway certifications require trains to be able to operate at 10% above their normal allowed speed, so if that's the case here, it would explain these numbers.

Although the specs are identical, I do get the impression the T1s are slower than the H series, and I expect the TRs will be even slower than the T1s.

With 2km spacing there's plenty of space to get up to 100km/h, but our trains are simply to slow to do that. Within tunnels, air resistance is so significant that they can't really exceed about 65km/h. The only really long outside stretch is between Warden and Victoria Park.

The trains are governed for a maximum of 80km/h, but with coasting are capable of reaching greater. 88km/h is the maximum design speed, at which the traction motors are spinning so fast that they may be damaged.

As for speed, the trains have very different acceleration curves beyond 20mph - the H5s, H6s and T1s are all very similar, although the H6s are a bit quicker than the rest. Because of their age, the H4s are the most variable.

My understanding from the operators who have driven them is that the TRs are actually a tad quicker than the rest above about 25 or 30mph, and thus that's why they've been installing more power markers in the tunnels of late.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Interesting. At least with the wind resistance, there is an explanation for such speeds - besides the TTC being overly cautious. I know it is apples to oranges, but pretty much any car or bus can get to 80km/h and stop comfortably within 1000 meters.

I remember I once used the GPS on my phone to measure the speed of the train along Allen Rd., and it peaked at 72km/h southbound between Yorkdale and Lawrence if I recall correctly. And that is about a 1km interstation. Air resistance, safety, and other BS aside, how fast do you think a train could get within a 2km interstation?

A member on another forum who is an operator said that the record for fastest speed on a TTC train was 92km/h on an H6, between Vic park and Warden.

I think he is pulling your leg. About 15 years ago when I was doing a change off at Warden on my way back to Greenwood on a Sunday morning around 6am and all the lights were green with trip arms down all I managed with an empty load was 85 km/h on a H6. If it was in high rate may be more but then you would have to be doing the same sped through stations and that is a huge no no.

The TR has hit well over 85km/h but that was when service was shut and no other trains were in range and no work cars crawling along in tunnels.

I'm standing on the train right now. I'm about 180 cm tall, average for a male I believe, and I have what looks like 10cm of clearance under the ceiling hand grabbers and what look like ventilation ducts. I don't know the exact distance but it's enough to trigger my "duck" instinct, which has never happened on the current trains.

Last edited:
Interesting Jonny5 regarding the ceilings being too low. In the US (which is probably taller on average than Canada) according to the department of health less than 5% of men are 6'2" or over or 188 cm. Less than 5% of women are over 5'8" or 173 cm. These are full adult heights, not including adolescents or seniors. If you include everyone then probably less than 1 percent of the population would have trouble with a bar above 190 cm or 6'4" in height.

Been there and....

I went to Davisville today to check out the new trains. Tons of people. Actually, hordes.

The inside looks nice with so much room to move it's almost a sin. The overhead handrails were easily within my reach and I'm 5'10". The only real nitpick I can say is that while the inside of the cars looked nice, the outside leaves something to be desired. No bolts or rivets so it's smooth but still I found the outside of the cars to rather dull looking.

Just my two cents. I'm sure others will like the asthetics more than I did.

Last edited:
The only real nitpick I can say is that while the inside of the cars looked nice, the outside leaves something to be desired. No bolts or rivets so it's smooth but still I found the outside of the cars to rather dull looking.

Definitely agree with you there, I think sticking some Canada flag stickers beside the doors a la New York or Chicago would help alleviate that problem.

Definitely agree with you there, I think sticking some Canada flag stickers beside the doors a la New York or Chicago would help alleviate that problem.

you mean like this
ttclol_edited-1.jpg

Attachments

• ttclol_edited-1.jpg
    ttclol_edited-1.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 507
I'm standing on the train right now. I'm about 180 cm tall, average for a male I believe, and I have what looks like 10cm of clearance under the ceiling hand grabbers and what look like ventilation ducts. I don't know the exact distance but it's enough to trigger my "duck" instinct, which has never happened on the current trains.

I get that "duck" instinct when I enter or exit the current trains, and I'm 6'4". I would imagine it would be the same with the new trains, but I'm disappointed to hear that I may have that same instinct on the train itself.

Back