News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

No new cars today, however the crews were moving around the T1 from the location in previous photos to inside the factory (a distance around 400m). They were able to move the subway (on a trailer) around the lot effortlessly. In the time it took me to walk up to the end and back, the move was finished ~ 5 minutes.

I suppose as long as the TTC uses experienced drivers, such as these guys are, the moves can be made fairly rapidly.

tbay005.jpg

Andomano- are you sure that is a T1? the front end looks curved like the TR's or is it just me?

Keep those pictures coming!!

Most definitely, the dual windows between the doors is a dead giveaway, and the fact that i saw them move it.

hey

No new cars today, however the crews were moving around the T1 from the location in previous photos to inside the factory (a distance around 400m). They were able to move the subway (on a trailer) around the lot effortlessly. In the time it took me to walk up to the end and back, the move was finished ~ 5 minutes.

I suppose as long as the TTC uses experienced drivers, such as these guys are, the moves can be made fairly rapidly.

tbay005.jpg

hey that yellow vehicle is the same vehicle puling the new TR in your picture:D

Ok, I tried looking for the windows in that picture but i couldn't so thats why i was curious!

Ok, I did some good old-fashion 'on the ground' surveying. Went to greenwood, walked around the north and east, there doesn't seem to be anything out of the ordinary, so much is there nothing out of the ordinary that I think greenwood might not be receiving the new cars at all. More on that in a bit..

I also climbed up to the rail-line, just after a go train zoomed by, at the overpass over greenwood ave... From there I was able to look at two things: a. the south part of the yard, and b. the 'siding' where greenwood would take a rail delivery.

For a, again nothing out of the ordinary.

For b, the siding is definitely derelict. It looks like it hasen't been used in a very long time, tops of the rails are rusted out, and there is *extreme* overgrowth of grass (about 4-ft high) right across the rail alignment. I cannot see as far as the switch to tell you if it is still physically tied in with the mainline, but if they were somehow expecting to receive the new trains by rail here, they would have this siding cleaned up by now, and they didn't, so they won't.

Passed by wilson both yesterday and again today. Noticed yesterday that south-end rails to the new carhouse are in place, the ballast is being poured now. Also of note is a pair of diesel shunting locomotives parked on the eastern track leaving the south portal of the new carhouse. Those locomotives were sill there today. Keep in mind that these new cars are shipped unattached by truck, they cannot, unlike the Ts and Hs operate on their own power (cockpits only in front and back cars), so they will need to be hauled by a diesel shunting locomotive before they are probably all brought into the new car house, where I suspect the assembly will take place.

So in conclusion: no sign of the new cars yet, but a high likelihood that wilson will take delivery and assemble the trains. This also makes important sense considering wilson's proximity to the 401...

cool

Ok, I did some good old-fashion 'on the ground' surveying. Went to greenwood, walked around the north and east, there doesn't seem to be anything out of the ordinary, so much is there nothing out of the ordinary that I think greenwood might not be receiving the new cars at all. More on that in a bit..

I also climbed up to the rail-line, just after a go train zoomed by, at the overpass over greenwood ave... From there I was able to look at two things: a. the south part of the yard, and b. the 'siding' where greenwood would take a rail delivery.

For a, again nothing out of the ordinary.

For b, the siding is definitely derelict. It looks like it hasen't been used in a very long time, tops of the rails are rusted out, and there is *extreme* overgrowth of grass (about 4-ft high) right across the rail alignment. I cannot see as far as the switch to tell you if it is still physically tied in with the mainline, but if they were somehow expecting to receive the new trains by rail here, they would have this siding cleaned up by now, and they didn't, so they won't.

Passed by wilson both yesterday and again today. Noticed yesterday that south-end rails to the new carhouse are in place, the ballast is being poured now. Also of note is a pair of diesel shunting locomotives parked on the eastern track leaving the south portal of the new carhouse. Those locomotives were sill there today. Keep in mind that these new cars are shipped unattached by truck, they cannot, unlike the Ts and Hs operate on their own power (cockpits only in front and back cars), so they will need to be hauled by a diesel shunting locomotive before they are probably all brought into the new car house, where I suspect the assembly will take place.

So in conclusion: no sign of the new cars yet, but a high likelihood that wilson will take delivery and assemble the trains. This also makes important sense considering wilson's proximity to the 401...

cool thanks for new info
:D

Define rusted out. All the other observations do not rule out delivery to Greenwood. Even if the tracks are no longer usable it seems stopping a train on the main line tracks and lifting the subway car with a crane is still seems less involved than manoeuvring at 75ft long load around on the back of a truck.

Also of note is a pair of diesel shunting locomotives parked on the eastern track leaving the south portal of the new carhouse. Those locomotives were sill there today. Keep in mind that these new cars are shipped unattached by truck, they cannot, unlike the Ts and Hs operate on their own power (cockpits only in front and back cars), so they will need to be hauled by a diesel shunting locomotive before they are probably all brought into the new car house, where I suspect the assembly will take place.

This really doesn't prove much. The TTC has owned a numerous work cars including diesel locomotives for ages and they usually park these work cars in yards and if they have been laying track and moving around ballast then it seems reasonable that they might use work cars for that. They also have electric work cars as well. There are many ways the TTC can get the new subway cars from any place on the subway track network to the new maintenance depot.

oooo

Define rusted out. All the other observations do not rule out delivery to Greenwood. Even if the tracks are no longer usable it seems stopping a train on the main line tracks and lifting the subway car with a crane is still seems less involved than manoeuvring at 75ft long load around on the back of a truck.

This really doesn't prove much. The TTC has owned a numerous work cars including diesel locomotives for ages and they usually park these work cars in yards and if they have been laying track and moving around ballast then it seems reasonable that they might use work cars for that. They also have electric work cars as well. There are many ways the TTC can get the new subway cars from any place on the subway track network to the new maintenance depot.

ooo its a debate:eek:

Well wether it is delivered to wilson yard, or woodbine yard, what matters is that they're deliveed on time! and that we get to ride them soon :D

It will be interesting how the current CN strike will affect the delivery of the cars since both Greenwood and Wilson are near CN lines.

It will be interesting how the current CN strike will affect the delivery of the cars since both Greenwood and Wilson are near CN lines.
CP's an option, especially if the last leg is by truck. At the TB plant end, is the rail spur CP or CN?

Back