News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

The only 'visible' damage from the photos is of car 5185 which is discernible from the other cars since it is the one that has the large bend on the one side. The damage is not visible in any of the photos I have taken, but can be seen quite clearly through the tarps. Unless you're planning a trip up to tbay or they take the tarps off, you'll likely never get too see it... sorry.

What trains would be replaced, the ones with the orange seats of course, but how many of the 1980s cars would go.

They want to get rid of the H5 and H6's completely, and just have T1's on the BD line, and full TR's on the YUS. YOu can probably read about it on Steve Munro's site, and the Subway Rail yard study released last month.

Went by wilson tonight, still no sign of them.

Seems I made the critical, yet re-occurring mistake of believing the TTC's schedule announcements vis a vis St. Clair..

I now expect the new cars to appear some time in 2031, about the same time the York U extension will actually open..

Went by wilson tonight, still no sign of them.

Seems I made the critical, yet re-occurring mistake of believing the TTC's schedule announcements vis a vis St. Clair..

I now expect the new cars to appear some time in 2031, about the same time the York U extension will actually open..

Don't expect to see them unless you're right there when they're delivered. It's 99% likely that the TTC has a news conference scheduled for the first "public" viewing of the new rocket cars, even though you can see if here first!

Obviously, a short run on the other guy's trackage isn't going to be dealbreaker, but I'd be curious to see how this pans out.

At this stage, however it will be delivered has likely already been budgeted and paid for, so we'll just have to see.

...I will be passing the plant tomorrow, stay tuned for any (if) updates.

You make a valid point, and I mentioned before that it is configured in such a way, the new trains could be inside the new shed as we speak!

You know.. that kind of makes it analogous to..

lol ok I won't say it this time! :p

yey public viewing:D

Not for the general public. The general public gets to see it after the press has, and that pretty much won't be until it's used in service.

It would be nice if you could add a little more to the discussion also as this is a discussion, and not twitter.

Good news today... while I was walking behind the plant, there were a few men standing around the entrance to the test track. I was able to ask them a couple questions, without being too overbearing. Basically, they were going over the details among each other for using the track. They said they were going to clear the track (we got 5cm of snow overnight), and test the TR sometime in the next couple of days.
Also, they said the cars have not been shipped to TO yet.

This is good news since now we know the construction of the first set of cars is complete, and that they're moving to testing them.

Last edited:
How is that good news? :(

Anyways, regarding public viewing, I do expect that after the press gets their scrum, they will at some later time park one of the new trains at davisville at the spare platform for public viewing, before it enters service, not unlike the mockup.

How is that good news? :(

It is good news that the daily non-updates can stop in this thread and people can actually wait until there is real news. The subway is still in Thunder Bay so no visiting TTC yards is required.

They want to get rid of the H5 and H6's completely, and just have T1's on the BD line, and full TR's on the YUS. YOu can probably read about it on Steve Munro's site, and the Subway Rail yard study released last month.

And that's probably because the Yonge Line is busier to warrant having the new cars specifically dedicated to that, and another reason for not retianing old cars there was an old report about wanting all Subway cars be disabled access by 2010. I saw that ages ago on the Toronto channel on cable.

And I assume of course there'll be a 2020 new version available that will start replacing T1's.

And that's probably because the Yonge Line is busier to warrant having the new cars specifically dedicated to that, and another reason for not retianing old cars there was an old report about wanting all Subway cars be disabled access by 2010.

The H5 cars - the older cars on the YUS - are at about the point in their lives when they should be retired.

The H6 cars - the ones with the orange interiors on the B-D - should still have about 6 or 7 years of life left in them. They are however best described as lemons, and have had numerous problems over the years. The TTC has tried their best to fix them by replacing problematic parts and performing a rebuild to them, but they haven't improved much if at all, and replacing them at this point is seen by the TTC as a way to improve the overall reliability of the system.

The TTC about 4 years ago actually started refitting some of the H6's with wheelchair positions, but stopped when they decided that they might as well just replace them with new equipment and be done with it.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Oh man... This is bad... I had a dream last night that I saw one of the TR middle cars being shipped on a truck.

*sigh*

I have been reading this thread for some time now and just wanted to put some of you out of your misery ;) regarding the new TR . There is a reason why its wrapped in blue tarp, its because they are going back to Thunder Bay. They failed our inspection, total crap.....as is the case on a first model production....the T1 cars were the same, it is only now that we have them just right. So to sum it up the train in Kingston is going back to Thunder Bay and there is one car which is build now and might pass our inspection. Dont expect a new train here until June-July ....with another few months of testing.... the public might ride them by next Christmas.

Back