News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

They recorded entirely new announcements. They sound more computerized, and the stations are announced differently. Its definitely not the same.

I suppose you're right. The more I hear these announcements, the more it bothers me the way they're written, with the last word being "station". "St George, St George station". I can't remember what someone else on here recommended would be better. "St George is the next station stop. St. George"?

I suppose you're right. The more I hear these announcements, the more it bothers me the way they're written, with the last word being "station". "St George, St George station". I can't remember what someone else on here recommended would be better. "St George is the next station stop. St. George"?
"Next Station: St. George Station. Exit St. George Station for the Bata Shoe Museum. Transfer at St. George Station for Bloor-Danforth Subway"

Exactly. Including local landmarks is key, especially for tourists.

I think there's too many announcements as it is. Saying "the next station is XXXX" two times between stops was bad enough, now we also have the "stand clear of the doors" announcement at every stop.

Simple signage at Union listing the top 10 destinations and their stations is sufficient. We don't need to hold tourists hands all the way to the door of everywhere they want to go.

I think there's too many announcements as it is. Saying "the next station is XXXX" two times between stops was bad enough, now we also have the "stand clear of the doors" announcement at every stop.

Simple signage at Union listing the top 10 destinations and their stations is sufficient. We don't need to hold tourists hands all the way to the door of everywhere they want to go.

Thank you.
Pretty soon it's going to be described transit..

"Arriving at Union, Union Station; please exit to your right, then take the stairs to the mezzanine level where you will find exits to Front Street, Union Station's Main Concourse, Skydome and the Air Canada Centre. If you're hungry, there is a McDonalds, Cinnabon and Mr. Sub in the main lower concourse. Stand Clear of closing doors. The doors are now closed. We are starting to accelerate. The train is moving into the tunnel, we are making a left hand turn, heading north to King Station. The trains wheel are making a violent screeching noise, be sure to plug your ears if you don't like it. The next station is King."

Thank you.

"Arriving at Union, Union Station; please exit to your right, then take the stairs to the mezzanine level where you will find exits to Front Street, Union Station's Main Concourse, Skydome and the Air Canada Centre. If you're hungry, there is a McDonalds, Cinnabon and Mr. Sub in the main lower concourse. Stand Clear of closing doors. The doors are now closed. We are starting to accelerate. The train is moving into the tunnel, we are making a left hand turn, heading north to King Station. The trains wheel are making a violent screeching noise, be sure to plug your ears if you don't like it. The next station is King."

LOL yea exactly, having too many things announced is annoying. I only want to hear the name of the station, and if there are any delays on the line. I fi need info about landmarks near the station I'd get a map or exit at a station and ask one of the transit officials.

Last edited:
They recorded entirely new announcements. They sound more computerized, and the stations are announced differently. Its definitely not the same.

They didn't 'record' new announcements, the train has an onboard software-based enunciator. This handles all stop announcements and door announcements. That is also why it sounds more 'computerized' because it is exactly that - a fembot. :)

It's pretty common around the world along with "Mind the Gap". Announcing stops on the new TR shouldn't be as necessary with the text displays and maps showing current location. However, would you know what stop is closest to Massey Hall without looking? We should make our transit as user-friendly as possible. There's obviously a balancing point between annoying you daily and helping hundreds of occational trip makers, but you can put on a headset and turn it out easier than they can figure out Toronto's street system.

Thank you.

Reductio ad absurdum... Obviously that's information overload and diminishes the value of the useful information by surrounding it with chaff. I guess you're happy when the train stops mid-tunnel and there isn't a single announcement about delays? Wouldn't want the reasons to be descritive, right?

I guess you're happy when the train stops mid-tunnel and there isn't a single announcement about delays? Wouldn't want the reasons to be descritive, right?

There's a difference between announcing system delays and announcing local attractions. One is needed the other isn't, it's as simple as that. In New York, I had no trouble finding my way to attractions, I didn't need the subway train to tell me, the same goes for when I was in Milan. And I sure as hell wasn't bothered by the sound of the voice of the announcing system.

My point was that pretty soon everyone would want every single detail explain to them except for the most important details.

I think the "please stand clear of the doors" is a bit excessive (as if the ding ding ding doesn't say that enough), but I think a simple announcement saying "Next station is St. George. Exit here for the University of Toronto and Bata Shoe Museum. Transfer is available to the Yonge-University-Spadina line". This would be followed by a simple "St. George" when the train pulls in. I do agree though that saying "Arriving at St. George, St. George station" is a bit annoying. I heard you the first time :p.

I think that people mind the repetitiveness of the announcements more than the announcements themselves. As long as it's not repeating the same stuff over and over again, it should be fine. Besides, the Bata Shoe Museum (or Eaton Centre for the Dundas and Queen stops) would probably pay to have themselves added into that announcement.

There's a difference between announcing system delays and announcing local attractions. One is needed the other isn't, it's as simple as that. In New York, I had no trouble finding my way to attractions, I didn't need the subway train to tell me, the same goes for when I was in Milan. And I sure as hell wasn't bothered by the sound of the voice of the announcing system.

My point was that pretty soon everyone would want every single detail explain to them except for the most important details.

New York where they have announcements like: “There is Brooklyn-bound Local train Two Stations away” and “Please stand away from the platform edge, especially when trains are entering and leaving the station.”

I'm glad you never missed your stop in New York or Milan. It's not really an arguement, so much as an antidote. Or do you have more of a reason why key civic points are not necessary than you can find them without assistance?

For my personal antidote counter-arguement, I found travelling in London less stressful because there was no ambiguity of where I needed to exit, and actually got of at other points that sounded interesting that I'd not planned on before hand. In Montevideo, I could take public transit and not worry about understanding the announcements because I could listen for key terms like "Aeroporto".

So long as you know to get off the vehicle, suplimentary directions can be given at the station. If you miss your stop, it makes the journey much less pleasant.

I think the "please stand clear of the doors" is a bit excessive (as if the ding ding ding doesn't say that enough), but I think a simple announcement saying "Next station is St. George. Exit here for the University of Toronto and Bata Shoe Museum. Transfer is available to the Yonge-University-Spadina line". This would be followed by a simple "St. George" when the train pulls in. I do agree though that saying "Arriving at St. George, St. George station" is a bit annoying. I heard you the first time :p.

I think that people mind the repetitiveness of the announcements more than the announcements themselves. As long as it's not repeating the same stuff over and over again, it should be fine. Besides, the Bata Shoe Museum (or Eaton Centre for the Dundas and Queen stops) would probably pay to have themselves added into that announcement.
The repetition was necessary in the past to ensure people heard the name through the static. I don't see them changing that until they have a replaced the whole fleet with audible speakers.

The repetition was necessary in the past to ensure people heard the name through the static. I don't see them changing that until they have a replaced the whole fleet with audible speakers.

I can totally understand that rationale. But seeing as how the new TRs have different announcements anyway, maybe start with the new announcements on just those vehicles, especially given the fact that they now have visual next station signs as well, repeating the station name 4 times is a bit redundant.

Given the choice, I'd rather have:
"Next station is Dundas. Exit here for the Eaton Centre and Ryerson University." "Dundas" (when the train pulls into the station)

as opposed to:
"The next station is Dundas, Dundas Station." "Arriving at Dundas, Dundas Station".

God, even typing it out it sounds repetitive and boring. PS: In that case, the 1st announcement is only 1 word longer than the current announcement.

New York where they have announcements like: “There is Brooklyn-bound Local train Two Stations away†and “Please stand away from the platform edge, especially when trains are entering and leaving the station.â€

Or Sacramento, where recorded announcements tell you how to step forward to ride the up escalator, followed by an announcement at the top, telling you to step forward and keep walking to disembark...in three languages.

New York where they have announcements like: “There is Brooklyn-bound Local train Two Stations away†and “Please stand away from the platform edge, especially when trains are entering and leaving the station.â€

I'm glad you never missed your stop in New York or Milan. It's not really an arguement, so much as an antidote. Or do you have more of a reason why key civic points are not necessary than you can find them without assistance?

For my personal antidote counter-arguement, I found travelling in London less stressful because there was no ambiguity of where I needed to exit, and actually got of at other points that sounded interesting that I'd not planned on before hand. In Montevideo, I could take public transit and not worry about understanding the announcements because I could listen for key terms like "Aeroporto".

So long as you know to get off the vehicle, suplimentary directions can be given at the station. If you miss your stop, it makes the journey much less pleasant.

Well I guess we have to chalk it up to personal preference then. Personally, if I'm a tourist or even just visiting a city and wandering aimlessly, I'm going to consult a map/transit map prior to going out and not relying on the subway train to tell me where I am.

You make a point about New York, while you're correct that there are other announcements, those announcements pertain to the subway system. "The next local "3" train to.." and "Mind the gap" are what I feel is necessary.

Also, you said Montevideo -- Uruguay? Is that your background? If so, congratulations! :cool:

How many people are getting on the subway to go to the Bata Shoe Museum without already knowing where they have to get off? If you're thinking about paid promotion that is completely different if we want to help tourists use the subway to get to the Bata Shoe Museum or other attractions there should besigns at thedowntow station entrances that direct them which direction to travel and what station to get off at.

Last edited:

Back