Way back, I recall reading about a PH purchaser who wanted a helipad built on condition of sale of the building at Bellair & Bloor (#10 Bellair?) but the developer didn't or couldn't do it.

A potential purchaser for One St. Thomas had inquired about a helipad, but was declined by the Lee Development Group.

I find it hard to believe the city would allow helipads in these locations, considering the noise and possible devastation if there were a crash.

Thanks drum for catching the feature and tomms for the great shot. Does anyone else find the design of the skylight clashing horribly with the rest of the building? It would be like having a unit in the building and find out it's packed to the brim with Rococo cr*p.

AoD

Yes, it looks so tacky, on such a nicely designed building.

I've never really liked the overall design of this building for some reason (the colour, situation, etc...) however, i really like how fresh it is!

We haven't seen a similar looking building/project in Toronto in a while!
I do like the little boxes though... A lessened version of NY's 56 Leonard (minus the height and sexiness!)

Cool :)

155 Cumberland has one thing all over what 56 Leonard has: 155 Cumberland exists. And even though it's not a millionty floor skyscraper like the imaginary 56 Leonard, 155 is sexy nevertheless, even with the odd-ball solarium at the top. Too bad the solarium was not created in the style of the rest of the building... but I'll try to see it like Cindy Crawford's beauty mark, or mole if you will: the girl is still beautiful nevertheless.

Dec 18 Visit

Looks like the scaffolding has finally come down from this view
IMG_dec-18-09-0002.jpg

Very cool comparison shot. Even the sky agreed for you.

I believe the condo addition was just marketed as "No. 155 Cumberland" It was such a small project in terms of number of units that I suppose they didn't bother investing in a creative branding and marketing campaign.

I'd have to agree with some of the previous comments about the finish colours of this building. The tan precast "block" with the white spandrels looks hideous and kills the look of the building in my mind! With this ultra modern cubist design I would have liked to see a metallic cladding. Something like the titanium on the AGO would have been much more appropriate... not necessarily blue, but shiny and something other than tan!

That stupid skywindow has ruined the look of the design!
Great photos tomms.

I find the whole project hideous. Interesting concept but, poorly executed. I find it clashes with the modernist office tower which already suffers from an awful PoMo street level addition. I also would expect some attempt at incorporating the elevator overun for a project of this calibre and fully agree the stone cladding should have been metal.

^ Yeah, like a lot of promising projects of late this one is ending with a whimper.

I find the dome too inconspicuous to be offensive--and besides, it's lost to view from street level.

And hasn't the Pomo base been somewhat de-Pomo'd?

I'll put my vote in as well - this project looked fantastic when it was bare concrete - now that the cladding has been added, it has a hilltop favela look to it....too bad...

I am sure that the interiors will be amazing, though...

Back