News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Athletics stadium just about done

https://twitter.com/YULionsTrack/status/611638416967602176

CHz55gcXAAAf2fZ.jpg:large

Beach volleyball stadium as well

https://twitter.com/MrTuktoyaktuk/status/612334262558179328

CH9ywoIUYAEzBbp.jpg:large

It'll be like the London Olympics with piles of "sold" and empty seats.

And?

Did you buy tickets and are afraid you're going to get lonely or something?

Athletics in general is largely funded by people who buy services they don't use (TV channels that go unwatched, gym memberships that get 2 days use per year, clothing they don't wear, equipment they don't use, tapes they don't watch, diets they don't follow, ...)

I'll believe it when I see it. 2/3 of the sales are probably to sponsors who were forced to buy huge swaths of tickets to events nobody cares about.
Here's a way for you to "cheer up", Toronto-style: For 2 weeks in July every time your foot touches the brake pedal, mutter "Fucking Pan Am Games". Backing out of a driveway, coming to a stop sign on a quiet side street. Children at a crosswalk. Leaving a mall parking lot. Doesn't matter. Line up at Tim Hortons drive-thru window.
Whatever the reason, every time you have to slow down or stop your car, blame it on the Pan Am Games.

There seems to be a palpable sense of excitement in Hamilton, being a smaller city and with one of the most popular events being held at the - finally - completed Tim Horton's Field.

However, Scott Stinson wrote in today's NP that 850,000 tickets still remain. I was told by a friend of mine who works at U of T Summer Camps that program directors are being told to be flexible with programming schedules because they anticipate that free blocks of tickets will be available for campers.

And?

Did you buy tickets and are afraid you're going to get lonely or something?

Athletics in general is largely funded by people who buy services they don't use (TV channels that go unwatched, gym memberships that get 2 days use per year, clothing they don't wear, equipment they don't use, tapes they don't watch, diets they don't follow, ...)

All I know is that instead of paying for part of the DRL my taxes are being spent so some guys from Uruguay can play handball with Argentina at the Ex.

All I know is that instead of paying for part of the DRL my taxes are being spent so some guys from Uruguay can play handball with Argentina at the Ex.

I'm sorry. Would you like your dollar back? I'm willing to reimburse you the $1 (likely less) that it cost you to host handball.

With a total budget of $1.37B and the population of Ontario clocking in at 13.6 million we'll round that to $100 per person to host the games. While it could not fund the DRL it is not an insignificant chunk of change. I would happily take that $100 back.

With John Tory and Co. going hard on for Smart Track, I'm sure Toronto even cares if the DRL is built.

I'll be using the HOV Lanes even if I am the only person in my car. Might even have my buddies give me access to restricted areas too. Be happy and take advantage of these games :)

I think Christopher Hume article today in the Toronto Star is what really irks me about when people try to tout the benefits of hosting the Pan Am Games. The new sport stadiums, the "model community" in the West Don Lands and a train connecting Union to Person (UPX) as a result of hosting the games are a poor excuse in my opinion. We needed an train connection to Person Airport for years, we need more affordable housing, but somehow we can only get this done if it's an international sporting event happens? By that logic if we ever want the Downtown Relief Line we would have to host the Olympics.

I think Christopher Hume article today in the Toronto Star is what really irks me about when people try to tout the benefits of hosting the Pan Am Games. The new sport stadiums, the "model community" in the West Don Lands and a train connecting Union to Person (UPX) as a result of hosting the games are a poor excuse in my opinion. We needed an train connection to Person Airport for years, we need more affordable housing, but somehow we can only get this done if it's an international sporting event happens? By that logic if we ever want the Downtown Relief Line we would have to host the Olympics.

If we won the Olympics they would build the DRL but due to federal interference it would run from Markham to the Scarborough Town Centre.

100% on the Hume article. That and some of the posters here seem to think that anti-games = anti-Toronto which is utter nonsense.

Back