News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Both of the men's games yesterday (Peru v Panama and Canada v Brail) were sell outs. Your observation that Canada match was 80% sold is inaccurate...it may have been 80% attended but it was sold out. The Peru match is also sold out because tickets are sold on a double header basis.....whether you are aware of it or not your ticket to the Canada match was also a ticket to the earlier Peru v Panama match.
Oh absolutely, I knew about the first game, as did most people. Most ticket-goers began to trickle in by the end of the first game and there was at least a 45 minute turnaround before the Canada-Brazil game.

Love it or hate it, the ROM Crystal is featuring very prominently in all of the media coverage of the games. It does lend itself to graphics. lol

Love it or hate it, the ROM Crystal is featuring very prominently in all of the media coverage of the games. It does lend itself to graphics. lol

I've accumulated quite a few friends from all over the world in my travels and many of them have been raving about that "sharp building" and the CN Tower fireworks (that I missed because I bought tickets to the ceremony. FML).

The ROM always held promise to becoming one of our most iconic buildings. I think it's up there with City Hall because of its unusual and distinctive shape. I personally always loved it (minus the mismatched cladding) and I have to say that it's aging well, well integrated into the city's fabric.

Oh absolutely, I knew about the first game, as did most people. Most ticket-goers began to trickle in by the end of the first game and there was at least a 45 minute turnaround before the Canada-Brazil game.
Given the huge line-up at the time of the Peru-Panama kick-off, a lot were there for that match. Sitting near me was a huge bunch of Panama supporters, and most left after the first match, not sticking around for Canada-Brazil.

And some attending, didn't seem to be aware there was a second match (no indication on the tickets)! So not surprising that it didn't look 100% full for the Canada game.

To the people who left town to avoid the Pan Am games and to avoid "chaos"...well I would like to let them know that you are missing out. My friends and I has a great time at Nathan Phillips Square Saturday night with the free concerts, light show and fireworks. It was a blast. The vibe that is feeding the city is really unique and as I attend these Pan Am events in person, I see no one complaining or being grumpy. I see a lot of people being ambassadors to visitors and tourists and it just makes me proud to be part of this event.

I just think now that a lot of the criticism has been unfair as I have seen with my own eyes how the Pan Am games are transforming the City of Toronto and the surrounding region for the greater good in many different ways.

Now off to planning my next Pan Am outing to take advantage of these city freebies.

So basically...you like the Pan Am Games for the non-game events? Events like free concerts, light shows and fireworks that we can have every year without the Pan Am brand printed all over it. If anything you've made more of a case to hold these events every year (maybe on Canada Day) than some sporting event that's obvious from everyone they don't care for, but really like these non-game events that are happening around the Pan Am Games.

I was at BMo on Sunday for the final games. There were no people in the upper tier - not one.

I was on the west side and our area ran out of food - only popcorn was available at the end. Beer was sold out at some areas too.

It was disappointing that there were no medal ceramonies.

I too was at the Rugby 7's match on Sunday. The Upper Tier on the east side was empty because they were not selling tickets for those sections. Even if all other seats were sold, they would not release tickets there (nor was there access).
I am not sure why you think there was no medal ceremonies, as there was...... unless what I saw was all a dream.

I'd assume that if there had been demand, they'd have opened up the upper stands, and not made it inaccessible. But it was clear from ticket sales even before those stands were completed, that the demand wasn't going to be there.

The CBC is doing a mediocre job of broadcasting the Pan Am Games to us. I do not call doing interviews "coverage", especially when there is competition still going on somewhere other than the studio at the same time. What about having one or more of the sports cable channels doing coverage, while the CBC is busy broadcasting important children's programming, Coronation Street, Heartland, or some other non-sports show, at the same time?

How about producing a listing on the Pan Am website when when this or that sport will be on CBC or one of the sports cable channel? All I can find is a general generic "Pan Am Games", period. I can find a sport, but not what channel I can watch on.

Doesn't explain how I can watch it even on my computer or iPhone or Apple TV, if it is (allegedly) streaming on-line. If it is, I can't make it do it.

The CBC is doing a mediocre job of broadcasting the Pan Am Games to us. I do not call doing interviews "coverage", especially when there is competition still going on somewhere other than the studio at the same time. What about having one or more of the sports cable channels doing coverage, while the CBC is busy broadcasting important children's programming, Coronation Street, Heartland, or some other non-sports show, at the same time?

How about producing a listing on the Pan Am website when when this or that sport will be on CBC or one of the sports cable channel? All I can find is a general generic "Pan Am Games", period. I can find a sport, but not what channel I can watch on.

Doesn't explain how I can watch it even on my computer or iPhone or Apple TV, if it is (allegedly) streaming on-line. If it is, I can't make it do it.

Part of the interview coverage push is to try to find new athlete stars in the Pan Am Games to help promote the game itself to the general public.

On Android, they just remade their existing CBC Sports app the Pan Am app by switching the icon to say Pan Am, but not the name of the app itself. So they probably did the same on the iPhone. :rolleyes:

If you want to watch the game via your computer, here is the direct link to the Pan Am events currently airing online.

Apparently, the CBC relegates Pan Am coverage to online, instead, continuing business as usual.

Not everyone is lucky to have high bandwidth limits with high speeds.

However, I much prefer the online coverage, since thanks to AdBlock Plus on Firefox, I can block the ads, including those that appear before the stream, giving me 100% commercial-free viewing of the Pan Am Games (aside from the sponsors' logos on the walls of the venue). Note that AdBlock Plus does not block the ads that appear before the stream on Safari. Not just that, but I can pause and rewind at my pleasure without taking space on the PVR.

Last edited:

Back