News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

I was going to ask why not Drake ....

There must be some other Canadian talent available. Because Kanye West? Blech.

They have been saying for a while now that the closing ceremonies (being programmed by Live Nation) would feature acts from across the Americas.....as far as I know Mr West, Ms Ryder and Mr. Bull all qualify as such (one is American, one is Canadian and the 3rd is American of Cuban descent.

If people are opposed to Pitbull (not fond of him myself) perhaps they can petition their MPP about the Pitbull ban. :)

In multi sport games, traditionally, the opening ceremonies are about the host country while the closing ceremonies are about celebrating and creating a party for the athletes. Of the 3 announced (so far) acts....I am reasonably sure it is not Mr. West or Mr. Bull that has the village buzzing with "really, why?".

Sheesh. Why didn't they just stay here?

In Canada, they would have been deported back, but America has a law that any Cuban that manages to reach american soil, automatically gets refugee status. Unless their Mexican, or any other Latin American country, then they get deported. :rolleyes:

They could have claimed refugee status; they'd be here for quite a while getting it processed. They could claim political persecution, a risk to life, etc.

And what constitutes American soil? Actual land? I was on a cruise ship that picked up Cuban refugees and they were sent back (granted, the ship probably wasn't registered in the US for tax reasons or something). The Canadians on board were yelling "let them stay", the Americans were yelling "send them back".

Cubans can simply tell the border guard that they are claiming asylum. They then get to live in the USA for a year while on probation, and then can apply for permanent residence. It's essentially guaranteed residency.

Canada does not offer this.

The 'wet-foot, dry-foot policy' enacted by the USA and Cuba allows any Cuban that makes it to US shore to claim asylum. Any caught on the water have to be deported back to Cuba.

They could have claimed refugee status; they'd be here for quite a while getting it processed. They could claim political persecution, a risk to life, etc.

And what constitutes American soil? Actual land? I was on a cruise ship that picked up Cuban refugees and they were sent back (granted, the ship probably wasn't registered in the US for tax reasons or something). The Canadians on board were yelling "let them stay", the Americans were yelling "send them back".

They could, but they could also lose refugee status and sent back. In the case for the USA, it is actual land, I remember hearing about it awhile ago when they where (again) talking about deporting Mexicans back. That Cubans had special treatment, if they can actually reach american soil, they got automatic protection and refugee status. It's part of the permanent trade embargo that was put into law years ago to get the Cuban votes in Florida.

So we don't go too off topic. Pan Am opening ceremony television numbers have come back. According to 680News, the ceremony drew an average viewership of 1.93 million people, with the CBC stressing that 2.34 million viewers tuned in when Team Canada enter the stadium(they really wanted to stress that people somehow knew to tune in at the right moments). Yahoo! Sports is reporting that the opening ceremony drew in 1.6 million average viewership and reaching as high as 5.5 million viewers watching the opening ceremony at some (if not long) point during its broadcast.

For the first time since the games started we are not leading in the total medals count....still out in front in GOLDS though.

For the first time since the games started we are not leading in the total medals count....still out in front in GOLDS though.

Meh, don't you worry, we'll be back on the top standing soon. The USA has already stated that they're only focusing on winning 10 events that are Olympic qualifiers. Everything else they sort of put their 3rd best in.

Meh, don't you worry, we'll be back on the top standing soon. The USA has already stated that they're only focusing on winning 10 events that are Olympic qualifiers. Everything else they sort of put their 3rd best in.
They are not winning much (compared to Canada) but getting a lot of silver and bronze

Back