News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

It's a sporting event that encapsulates all of the Americas - Guadalajara, Mexico had Drake, Three Days Grace, Nickelback and Ricky Martin at their closing ceremonies in 2011.
This isn't Mexico. I'm not aware of any Mexican singers offhand with the world-wide status of many Ontario artists.

I'd have no problem if Mexico had only used local artists.

What did Winnipeg do?

In other news, Mayor Tory is polling Twitter for suggestions on where the sign at NPS should go. https://twitter.com/JohnTory/status/621641193915420672?s=15

Big fan of leaving it there, personally. It looks great in front of the water and city hall.

I also like the idea of the sign staying in NPS permanently. I do, however, have concerns about it's exact location in the square post-games. Once the PanAms have left Toronto, and the square isn't as busy as it currently is (and the security guards that I presume are there, are no longer present) then what is to stop some hooligan from tagging/spray painting the sign? What is to stop someone from taking a bat to the sign to destroy it? Pretty things in the public realm don't always stay pretty.

If we are to protect the sign from destruction, I feel that it needs to be removed from public access. Keep it visible, but out of reach.
The TORONTO sign cannot be painted over if it is tagged as that would block the LED lights shining through. Another presumption here (since I actually haven't seen the sign in person) is that it is made of fiberglass or some other plastic so that the light shines through. Those materials are easily broken.

By comparison, the iamsterdam sign doesn't have the same challenges as it is a piece of metal - not easy to break. If it gets tagged, you just re-paint it red as there are no internal lights.

I also like the idea of the sign staying in NPS permanently. I do, however, have concerns about it's exact location in the square post-games. Once the PanAms have left Toronto, and the square isn't as busy as it currently is (and the security guards that I presume are there, are no longer present) then what is to stop some hooligan from tagging/spray painting the sign? What is to stop someone from taking a bat to the sign to destroy it? Pretty things in the public realm don't always stay pretty.

If we are to protect the sign from destruction, I feel that it needs to be removed from public access. Keep it visible, but out of reach.
The TORONTO sign cannot be painted over if it is tagged as that would block the LED lights shining through. Another presumption here (since I actually haven't seen the sign in person) is that it is made of fiberglass or some other plastic so that the light shines through. Those materials are easily broken.

By comparison, the iamsterdam sign doesn't have the same challenges as it is a piece of metal - not easy to break. If it gets tagged, you just re-paint it red as there are no internal lights.

The interactivity of the sign is the very thing that made it special - point taken re: all the issues you have raised, but I think they can be ameliorated by building a permanent one with tougher materials (enamel steel. etc)

AoD

I think you're worrying too much. Taggers usually aren't interested in things like this (except for the types that put stickers everywhere), and vandals could easily be discouraged by lighting and cameras. This isn't really The Warriors anyway, there aren't gangs of hoodlums running around smashing things. Besides, isn't there a security guard in the square at night? I've seen them during the day.

Interesting piece regarding the upcoming Kanye performance and subsequent backlash:

http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/lets...ronto-doesnt-have-meaning?utm_source=vicefbca

"Do you lose all credibility on these issues if you can't acknowledge that a central component of the movement to drop West as the Closing Ceremonies headliner, like each of those formed elsewhere previously, is cultural projection and racial discomfort?

Fu** yes, absolutely."

'Absolutely'? I know the internet isn't exactly a forum for moderation or subtlety of thought, but F** no! To claim that racism is 'central' to Kanye opposition is utter nonsense when clearly in this context it's about nationalism/civic boosterism. To be crass about it, there wouldn't have been a peep if a black Canadian had been chosen... and yeah sure, it's a crass argument in response to a crass assertion.

Whether ideologically supportive of these games or not, who the heck wouldn't have expected the organizers to take this taxpayer-funded opportunity to spotlight our own creative talents, to offer them this one potential 'leg up' on the international stage... and if anybody argues this means Celine Dion then they obviously have no understanding whatsoever of Toronto's music scene.

Let's get this straight - the only outrage is coming from people like AoD and the guy who wrote that moronic Vice article. Before the article there were a grand total of 22,000 people in THE ENTIRE WORLD who took the bold step of signing an online petition - that's some outrage... NOT. Most people just roll their eyes at the thought that someone might think Kanye, Pitbull and Serena Ryder are the best we could do to close out this thing.

there were a grand total of 22,000 people in THE ENTIRE WORLD

There's over 40,000 now - but it will not matter one single iota

Whether ideologically supportive of these games or not, who the heck wouldn't have expected the organizers to take this taxpayer-funded opportunity to spotlight our own creative talents, to offer them this one potential 'leg up' on the international stage... and if anybody argues this means Celine Dion then they obviously have no understanding whatsoever of Toronto's music scene.
That would make sense if anyone outside of Toronto were actually watching. My guess is that 90% of the butts in seats and eyeballs on the TV will be GTA residents.

Let's get this straight - the only outrage is coming from people like AoD and the guy who wrote that moronic Vice article. Before the article there were a grand total of 22,000 people in THE ENTIRE WORLD who took the bold step of signing an online petition - that's some outrage... NOT. Most people just roll their eyes at the thought that someone might think Kanye, Pitbull and Serena Ryder are the best we could do to close out this thing.

Don't blame me for it, I thought the Vice article (which I didn't post, BTW) had an interesting perspective on the whole business. Certainly, it's also a bit interesting to have an outrage over an outrage that's the online petition.

AoD

Most people just roll their eyes at the thought that someone might think Kanye, Pitbull and Serena Ryder are the best we could do to close out this thing.

Most people roll their eyes at this dumb internet debate and tune in because they like Kanye. He's not a millionaire because he's unpopular.

I mean, it was probably mentioned already, but there were lots of people online whining about him headlining Bluesfest in Ottawa. Yet it was packed when he actually performed, and everyone there enjoyed themselves.

If I had a choice between paying $90 to see Kayne West and Pitbull or paying $90 to see some new artists from the Caribbean, Central America or South America - I'd take the second option. Discovering new artists reflects the spirit of the Pan Am games. If Kayne and Pitbull want to have their own concert in Toronto good for them, but I think their brash persona's and attitude are at odds with the Pan Am spirit.

A Tale of Two Cities
  • The Globe & Mail - Pan Am boom is a bust for many downtown Toronto businesses.
  • The Toronto Star - Pan Am Games already a bonanza for Toronto hotels, pubs (Downtown reaps rewards of sporting event on first weekend, report finds)
Who's right's? Who's Wrong? You decided!
----
Okay, for those who want the Cole Notes between the two stories; basically part's of the city restaurants and bars are benefiting from the Pan Am Games, while others have lost business. The latter story , The Toronto Star, only focused on restaurants and bars that are benefiting while ignoring the rest to promote the games benefits. I think it's safe to say, that Toronto Star's financial sponsorship in the games have effected it's journalistic integrity.

Last edited:

Back