News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

the horror was the goon squad...

AKA the Black Bloc. There was some bad behaviour among our police force, no question, but most of that poop show was due to rabble rousers, both local and visiting (expressly).

The lane closures are from the athlete's village downtown to the venues, many of which are in 905 or outer-416.

The "traffic chaos" isn't from traffic related to people travelling to the games. It's from the closures of lanes on the DVP, Gardiner, Lakeshore, 401, 404, 427, and QEW from late-June to mid-August, and what this will do to rush-hour traffic.

Personally, given that July and August are the least busy times on those highways, that at worst they'll be no busier than they normally are in September/October.
It's the ridiculous ads on the radio that get me. They're all about how Torontonians should adjust their travel routines to accommodate the games, as opposed to telling us how the games will accommodate Torontonians.

Do you think its a coincidence that Pinball Clemons (the spokesperson for the PanAm Games) is now doing TV commercials asking Torontoians to be kind and do random good deeds?

Do you think its a coincidence that Pinball Clemons (the spokesperson for the PanAm Games) is now doing TV commercials asking Torontoians to be kind and do random good deeds?

I think our cynicism about the PanAms has gotten out of control if we are questioning Pinballs other deeds in some fashion as related to the Pan Am games. He is perhaps the most positive community action figure in the region and is involved in many charitable movements through his foundation (MPCF). "Just Give" is one of them and is in, I believe, its 2nd year/incarnation.

So yes....it is just a coincidence.

It's the ridiculous ads on the radio that get me. They're all about how Torontonians should adjust their travel routines to accommodate the games, as opposed to telling us how the games will accommodate Torontonians.
I laughed when I heard the CEO of the games saying "This will be a summer you will never forget" when speaking about the expected traffic.

Locals would have spent the money in the community anyways so there's no lift. There will be visitors during the games but that only counts above the regular numbers for the time of year (and those visitors will be staying away because they don't want to be there during the games). There is also the opportunity cost of lost business travel and conventions because of the timing. Repeated studies have shown that there is no halo effect for tourism for cities before and after major sporting events.

Pride and TIFF are extremely profitable for the city because they do bring lots of out of town visitors and the capital outlay is relatively miniscule. They are also recurring events so can build a following over time and reuse any infrastructure spending.

Pride, TIFF and Caribana are huge for the city. I know the city had a tourism record with World Pride last year (although that admittedly was a one-time event).

Deal.

Getting Ontario fit would save billions per year in health-care costs. Heck, we could save $100M just on hospital equipment scaled to support obese people. If you get the obesity rate in Ontario down to low single digits (afully documented process), I will work my ass off to ensure you get a $100M consulting cheque from the government.

I know that obese people result in greater health-care costs in the short term, but I think they ultimately save the health care system money. The most expensive years for the health care system (and of course the pension system) are when people are in the last decade or so of their life. People who are obese or who smoke save both systems a significant amount of money by dying earlier. That's what Philip Morris found in a study, that they later regretted commissioning.

Toronto drivers LOVE to complain (just look at the Gardiner East tear-down whining) so in that regard the Pan Am Games will be very accommodating. :rolleyes:
Every traffic delay, every red light, even the line-up at Tim Hortons will be blamed on the Pan Am games and tourists.

Toronto drivers LOVE to complain (just look at the Gardiner East tear-down whining) so in that regard the Pan Am Games will be very accommodating. :rolleyes:
Every traffic delay, every red light, even the line-up at Tim Hortons will be blamed on the Pan Am games and tourists.

I'm not even sure it's the drivers themselves that are complaining. I think it's more certain media outlets that have a particular agenda that are trying to make traffic an issue.

I've yet to hear anyone I know complain about the traffic. CP24 and the rest them seem to think it'll be carmageddon.

Uh, I know many who have planned their vacation during the PAG's in order to avoid the traffic. CIBC has also allowed a good chunk of their employees to work from home. All my coworkers have been complaining about the expected traffic for weeks. My own parents have said they won't be coming down to visit during the games either. I don't really know anyone who isn't complaining about the traffic already besides those who take transit.

If you drive, you've likely seen the signs on the 400 series highways, and the DVP/Gardiner, warning of delays during the games. The panic isn't being generated by the media and CP24, its being generated by the Province and games organizers. They want the message out there so that people are prepared.

Back