News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Yeah, most of them along the QEW from West Mall to Winston Churchill were peeling on Friday night.

I was on the QEW going westbound at 10am on Sunday and there were in the eastbound lanes laying them. When I came back eastbound on the QEW at 4pm most of them were half gone. I kept having to dodge the loose bits so they didn't stick to the underside of my car. Like little tumbleweeds of sticky tape.

Could someone please post the best website to track traffic patterns during the Pan Am games. I'm looking for real time information updates for traffic, best routing options, closures etc.

I work for a non-profit organization that provides transportation for seniors (one of our many services) and I have been asked to provide a map for this event that tells a traffic pattern story but I don't think such a map exists. I think a web based solution is better. Please share to lead me in the right direction.

Thanks

Could someone please post the best website to track traffic patterns during the Pan Am games. I'm looking for real time information updates for traffic, best routing options, closures etc.

I work for a non-profit organization that provides transportation for seniors (one of our many services) and I have been asked to provide a map for this event that tells a traffic pattern story but I don't think such a map exists. I think a web based solution is better. Please share to lead me in the right direction.

Thanks
Google Maps provides real time traffic patterns and best routing options considering live traffic.

On smartphones, there is Waze, which does the same (and even owned by Google).

Wasn't there supposed to be some water events at the base of the Don and in the turning basin? Perhaps that was more an Olympic thing?

It was the Olympics that proposed doing some rowing events in the turning basin. They are, however, running Pan Am's sailing events out of the RCYC base down there on Cherry Street.
https://rcyc.ca/Doc-Types/Pan-Am-TO-2015.aspx

The turning basin isn't long enough, wide enough or straight enough to have rowing events in it.

First, the point is moot since we didn't get the Olympics. But since you raised it, there isn't a tonne of info still out there about the expired bid but this is:

turningbasin.JPG

Even Wikipedia notes the water events were going to be held at a new Regatta Centre. This is a bit hard to see but the actual bid document seems to be here (starting on p.17).

And here's a rendering of the venue design for the turning basin...canoeing and kayaking, it says. The document is a hassle to navigate but rowing is at the same venue.
basin2.JPG

Attachments

• turningbasin.JPG
    turningbasin.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 390
  • basin2.JPG
    basin2.JPG
    25.3 KB · Views: 421
Last edited:
Yeah, most of them along the QEW from West Mall to Winston Churchill were peeling on Friday night.
I was on the Gardiner, 427, and 401 yesterday. I didn't see any peeling diamonds. So whatever there issue is, they've either resolved it - or they got a later batch of labels that were bad.

Either way, seems a lot of fuss about nothing.

It was the Olympics that proposed doing some rowing events in the turning basin. They are, however, running Pan Am's sailing events out of the RCYC base down there on Cherry Street.
https://rcyc.ca/Doc-Types/Pan-Am-TO-2015.aspx

Sailing events are launching from the RCYC island. There's no public access.

I'm disappointed they've chosen to run the races in the inner harbour. It's going to make for some pretty lame sailing.

Why go through the expense of hosting an event that no one cares about? That doesn't get any media pick up?
I've been asking the same thing. With such a huge amount of tickets unsold, no media pick up, and the fact that there will be a lot of road closures all summer, I just don't see the point in carrying these games out.

I've been asking the same thing. With such a huge amount of tickets unsold, no media pick up, and the fact that there will be a lot of road closures all summer, I just don't see the point in carrying these games out.

There are road closures every summer, all the time.

I question people that say no one is interested in the games. Maybe you’re not interested, but that doesn’t mean other people aren’t. It’s just like the Women’s World Cup. You may not be interested, but there are people all over the world that are. There are people from Asia and Europe and Africa and Australia and South America all watching their country compete in Canada.

I myself am in a wheelchair, but I have bought tickets to four different sporting events (at three different venues) at the Pan Am games. Yesterday I was speaking to a doctor who said that she is volunteering (as a doctor) at the Pan Am games. A friend told me his chiropractor was volunteering (as a chiropractor) and his other friend (who is a certified badminton coach) was volunteering as a line judge.

There are many people in the GTA who are interested in attending and participating in this event. We are thrilled that people from across North and South America are coming to our city to participate in these events as athletes and spectators. And I’m thrilled that the media will be shining a light on our city. But I wonder how people, who profess to love the city, can be such Debbie Downers.

Back