News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Like when Drake performed at the closing ceremonies of the last Pan Am games?
Hah, I didn't even know that. Makes his 2015 Pan Am snub even funnier. Given that he's performing a week later at his annual OVO Fest, I wouldn't be surprised if he makes a surprise appearance on stage with Kanye.

I'm curious which category you'd shove K.d. Lang in, has-been or never-were?
For her performance in Vancouver? I thought that was the highlight of the closing ceremonies. She killed it; Leonard Cohen made the correct call of suggesting that she sing rather than him.

What did you dislike about her Vancouver performance?

I'd be thrilled to see her perform in Toronto for the closing. With only 3 artists announced so far, presumably most will be kept quiet until show time.

For her performance in Vancouver? I thought that was the highlight of the closing ceremonies. She killed it.

(opening ceremonies actually)

A talented voice covering the work of a talented songwriter, culminating in one of the greatest covers of all time (if kd decides to cover your tune, she's probably going to own it from now on).

It's insulting to even mention garbage like Kanye.

I'm curious which category you'd shove K.d. Lang in, has-been or never-were?

In 2010? Has-been, unfortunately (but her take on Hallelujah probably will be an all-time classic.) And Neil Young, e.g., does release new albums into his dotage. No, I must admit I mostly picked Bryan Adam's name up at the top of the list. He was the has-been, Nikki Yanofsky the flavour of the moment that I was disparaging.

I first saw Patsy Cline and the Reclines in... 1985 or '86 at Fed Hall at University of Waterloo. Enjoyed her career all the way through as she grew old with me and when we both needed quieter tunes she did Hymns in 2004. I thought she hadn't sung a note in anger since then, but apparently I missed a post-Vancouver album.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K.d._lang

Six years on may not be so 'has-been', but the whole thing was uber-Canadian content. (Full disclosure: I did enjoy it a lot). I'm not a fan of Pitbull or Kanye, but I'm sure lots of people are. And, given that she's written/sung the 'official song' of these Games, I'm pretty sure the final 'word' and closing song will go to a Canuck:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serena_Ryder

ETA: I also saw Margo Timmins and her brothers at the BombShelter at UW about the same time as KD, and I wouldn't want them at the closing ceremonies, either... even though I love their music, it'd be a bit of a downer.

(opening ceremonies actually)

A talented voice covering the work of a talented songwriter, culminating in one of the greatest covers of all time (if kd decides to cover your tune, she's probably going to own it from now on).

It's insulting to even mention garbage like Kanye.

Why do you feel the need to be a jerk? K D Lang is in her 50s now. Go enjoy her albums on your Hi-Fi and leave the kids alone.

I couldn't agree more, it was nigh on an effin' cultural moment!... which is just what any games organizers dream of, I'd imagine (except for the Toronto Panam organizers apparently).

I first saw Patsy Cline and the Reclines in... 1985 or '86 at Fed Hall at University of Waterloo. Enjoyed her career all the way through as she grew old with me and when we both needed quieter tunes she did Hymns in 2004. I thought she hadn't sung a note in anger since then, but apparently I missed a post-Vancouver album.

I've followed her ever since seeing her on the Junos in a wedding dress and army boots, and I know people of all ages who worship her too (which is clear if you've ever attended one of her concerts)... which is sort of the point in that a non-top 40 artist like Lang has an ongoing relevance that transcends the sort of fickle, mass market, of-the-moment success of someone like Kanye (tomorrow's Bieber). Don't get me wrong, I respect his success and anybody who think's there's no talent in that is delusional. I just don't feel it is the right approach for this gig. Give the spotlight to the home team artists, not the visitors! We may be blasé about them but other countries have mad respect our musicians.

Know who else performed at the closing ceremonies of the last Pan Am games? Nickelback. Not Mexican. And Ricky Martin. Also not Mexican.

Why 'other than' Drake??... Drake! Did they ask him? Metric? Broken Social Scene? Deadmau5? K'naan? Barenaked Ladies? Rush? The Hip? Neil Young? A concert featuring any number of these performers would have been a huge event.

Maybe Metric and possibly Broken Social Scene, but I don't see Deadmau5 or K'naan(his best stuff is own by FIFA and Coke-cola) and Barenaked Ladies, Rush, The (Tragically) Hip and Neil Young are out of the organizers targeted demographic. Besides, isn't the ban on Barenaked Ladies at city sponsored events and city hall still in effect? I remember reading not too long ago that they still can't play anywhere near city hall.

I think it's safe to say that you are full of it, and that you have some kind of anti-Star bias. What utter BS!

Alright, alright. Settle down. If me "bashing" the Toronto Star was that personal to you, I surrender and give up. o_O

I think this would have gone over better had Drake been the Toronto headliner, and promised a "secret guest", who would turn out to be Kanye. Maybe create some speculation and buzz for a few days, then have it leak that Kanye would be performing the day before.

Like him or not, though, I bet the athletes are looking forward to seeing him. And people wouldn't be tuning in if it were Rush, or The Barenaked Ladies, let's get real.

Back