News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

But I digress. I don't have any special access to this Mayor and my guesses are as good as the rumours going around City Hall's corridors. Tory seems to have been going back and forth on this subject, coming close to committing to the Olympics as recently as this weekend when he said that he wanted Nathan Phillips Square to play host to a significant sports celebration.

I (and maybe others) thought you were providing more than guesses.

I'm told that we'll hear an answer from Tory either during the long weekend if his staff wants to bury it or on Tuesday morning if he has widespread support. Either way, it looks like we're bidding.

I'm not jumping to conclusions. It's what I was told to expect. An announcement during the long weekend if Tory wants to bury it and the Olympics wouldn't be talked about again or a Tuesday morning announcement if we're bidding and he wants to make the news and start building excitement for the bid. It's black and white. The Tuesday morning press conference was called right on cue. We're bidding.

With a brand new administration, it's taken me almost a year to gain new contacts. I'm sure you'll understand that I'll provide news to UrbanToronto without outing who's tipping it. You're free to question whether those tips are trustworthy or not. Go back a few pages and you'll find that I laid out the timeline which is now coming to fruition.
:)

I (and maybe others) thought you were providing more than guesses.

:)

Call them educated guesses. I do speak to people close to the action but John Tory doesn't personally call me before he makes his decisions. And even if he did, he'd probably change his mind 7 times right before issuing the statement. ;)

Screen shot 2015-09-14 at 9.48.53 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen shot 2015-09-14 at 9.48.53 PM.png
    Screen shot 2015-09-14 at 9.48.53 PM.png
    28.8 KB · Views: 472
It would kinda weird to announce a bid at this point. Public opinion is at best mixed, there is no info on plans or costs or ... anything really. So if a bid were to go ahead, the scenarios would be:

1) making up plans as we go along
2) plans that were cooked up with no public input being sprung upon us

Neither inspires confidence.

The headline now reads "Toronto will not bid for 2024 Summer Olympics"

Good. Without consultation, public by-in, council debate and strong senior government support, putting in a bid would have been a terrible mistake.

CBC now also saying they have "confirmed" no bid.

This feels like the moment Toronto has truly become a world class city; telling a bunch of billionaires to take their silly spectacle and GTFO because we don't want them, or need them.

The illusion that the OG is anything other than a for-massive-profit professional sporting event is completely dead.

Athletes participating in the OG and not being paid should be an outrage to anyone but the most right wing willfully-ignorant Conservative voter.

Last edited:
This feels like the moment Toronto has truly become a world class city...

Nah, this feels like nothing but the ongoing status quo of civic lethargy. The Fordite gravy-troopers and left-wing special-interest nazis must be giving each other handys of joy this morning....ew!

Yes, it was an ill-timed bid that stood little chance. We all knew it, despite the conspiracy theories being spread around. Fear, cynicism and political gridlock have won the day. We should be proud that we've preserved a status quo that will build us a subway to Scarborough without nary a blink. Says it all.

So to wind down on a positive note a reminder of the days of Miller and Peterson, when Toronto was a city of ambition and action:

http://www.thestar.com/sports/pan_am_games/2009/11/06/toronto_wins_2015_pan_am_games.html

Of course I agree with decision but Tory's speech was so annoying. I hate the assumption that everyone in the city has Major Feels about the Pan Ams or big events in general. A lot of us don't care at all.

Back