News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

I am ok with this as long as the same logic is used in other decisions. If so EGLINTON WEST SMARTTrack wont happen and a LRT extension will happen. If so a DRL will happen before random areas get Subways.

This is why the Olympics should be fully privately funded. Let the people who want it pay for it.
Alright.

You want bike lanes? Pay for them. You want subsidized housing? Pay for it. You want support for the arts? They should be self sufficient. No public money. You want transit? Only those who benefit should pay for it.

Your reasoning is as myopic as your position.

Huzzah!

The NoTO crowd will be happy to return to their tar paper shacks and polish their shotguns for another four years. Those who think that a roughly equal amount of time, energy, and funding that would've supported city building through an Olympics will now be put to work for the city will soon realize the joke is on them. Start the discussion about which services will be cut in order to balance the city budget. If LA hosts 2024, forget a Canadian summer Olympics for 30 years. I blame the naysayers. There were very few yes voices on this forum or anywhere else. Congrats.

Thank you for your congratulations. I hope you're correct about the 30 year timeline, so I don't have to have this discussion again until I"m 79.

Alright.

You want bike lanes? Pay for them. You want subsidized housing? Pay for it. You want support for the arts? They should be self sufficient. No public money. You want transit? Only those who benefit should pay for it.

Your reasoning is as myopic as your position.

Seriously, what's with Olympic boosters? An Olympics isn't equivalent to 'social justice' or 'infrastructure' or 'bike lanes' or 'subsidized housing' or 'the arts'. It's equivalent to other sports professional or quasi-professional, and should be paid for by the same people who pay for other professional sports -- the ticket buyers and TV watchers.

Start the discussion about which services will be cut in order to balance the city budget.

Because our mayor refuses to increase taxes, that's why. It's time for you to escape your fanciful Euphoria and come back to reality.

Seriously, what's with Olympic boosters? An Olympics isn't equivalent to 'social justice' or 'infrastructure' or 'bike lanes' or 'subsidized housing' or 'the arts'. It's equivalent to other sports professional or quasi-professional, and should be paid for by the same people who pay for other professional sports -- the ticket buyers and TV watchers.
They've gone full Godwin with pent up rage. They've been getting more and more agitated as it became clear fewer and fewer people bought their rhetoric. This has just pushed them over the edge.
Nah, this feels like nothing but the ongoing status quo of civic lethargy. The Fordite gravy-troopers and left-wing special-interest nazis must be giving each other handys of joy this morning....ew!
Clearly anyone who thinks blowing billions on velodromes and a few weeks of security theatre is wasteful is a nazi. Clearly.

Definitely disappointed about this! I hate when people say "good, can you imagine the chaos there would be in Toronto?" Well my answer is that in 2024, we would not have the same level of transit we have now, and we would obviously have made changes to our infrastructure for it. So ridiculous how small people think.
Virtually none of the opposition here or elsewhere I've seen was based on opposition to the short term disruptive effects of the Games themselves. By far the biggest concern was that the Olympics are a massive cost commitment with extremely questionable long term impacts.

If you're going to accuse people of being small minded you should at least read what they say.

Of course, but the question is would they win over Paris?

AoD
If they don't win over Paris it is either because Paris is the favourite city or/and Europe is the chosen continent (like I said before it is sorta Europe's turn).....either way, if Paris is unbeatable it just makes the decision not to bid so much better.

They've gone full Godwin with pent up rage. They've been getting more and more agitated as it became clear fewer and fewer people bought their rhetoric. This has just pushed them over the edge.

Clearly anyone who thinks blowing billions on velodromes and a few weeks of security theatre is wasteful is a nazi. Clearly.

Nice, this must be the first case of preemptively claiming Godwin and then calling someone a Nazi.

If they don't win over Paris it is either because Paris is the favourite city or/and Europe is the chosen continent (like I said before it is sorta Europe's turn).....either way, if Paris is unbeatable it just makes the decision not to bid so much better.

You know what, it would be interesting - I am not terribly convinced at LA's staying power over the strength of Paris per se, but who knows. That's more a indictment of US bid cities.

AoD

I'm calling it now: Toronto will get a summer Olympics when it is the only city in a developed democratic nation to bid. And all the other developed democratic nations will laugh at us for being such chumps.

I'm calling it now: Toronto will get a summer Olympics when it is the only city in a developed democratic nation to bid. And all the other developed democratic nations will laugh at us for being such chumps.
I suspect that one of Quebec City / Calgary / Toronto will win in 2026 and that will be it for us for a while

I suspect that one of Quebec City / Calgary / Toronto will win in 2026 and that will be it for us for a while
Calgary or Edmonton could use Lake Louise for a proper downhill. Depending on whether you were willing to not have a proper downhill, Kelowna and region might be able to hold a Winter Olys -- could Kicking Horse put in a downhill course? -- but it's a pretty small town. Quebec City, again, would need them to close their eyes on the men's downhill length. Toronto? Hahahahaha....

I think you're just trolling with this 'Winter Olympics in Toronto' thing. No one would ever conceive of it.

BTW -- this ski hill north of Beijing, is it in a proper mountain range? Can they hold a proper men's downhill?

Calgary or Edmonton could use Lake Louise for a proper downhill. Depending on whether you were willing to not have a proper downhill, Kelowna and region might be able to hold a Winter Olys -- could Kicking Horse put in a downhill course? -- but it's a pretty small town. Quebec City, again, would need them to close their eyes on the men's downhill length. Toronto? Hahahahaha....

I think you're just trolling with this 'Winter Olympics in Toronto' thing. No one would ever conceive of it.

BTW -- this ski hill north of Beijing, is it in a proper mountain range? Can they hold a proper men's downhill?
Not trolling at all. There will likely be a bid attempt.

Hold the alpine and sliding at Lake Placid or Calgary. Snowboarding etc can be north of the city. Everything else can be in existing facilities with the exception of an oval. Put the village in Portlands along with a Richmond style temp oval and you're basically done.

Stop. Please.
Tory announced today that he's forming a task force to look into it...

A number of cities have/are considering LP for alpine and sliding events, including Toronto, Quebec City, Boston and Lake Placid itself. If the IOC is serious about Agenda 2020 don't be surprised if it shows up in a few 2026 bids.

Last edited:

Back