News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Disappointed with the decision but life goes on I guess.

A bid would have been rushed anyways. Probably better to wait for 2028 or a future games to really put in a strong bid.

I'm ambivalent; undeniably disappointed yet kind of relieved. I don't think there was sufficient support - private and public. We might have received some fantastic infrastructure upgrades but at what cost?

I'm ambivalent; undeniably disappointed yet kind of relieved. I don't think there was sufficient support - private and public. We might have received some fantastic infrastructure upgrades but at what cost?

Yup, maybe 2028 is a better time - infrastructure is less of an issue than the inability to build support.

AoD

Risk adverse pussies. This is why Toronto will never be great, adequate but not great.

Great cities take risks.

It's a long game. We can work on that as the old guard moves along. Look for the KWT crowd pushing Expo as an alternative (which is about as meaningless and impact-free an exercise as it gets).

AoD

It's a long game. We can work on that as the old guard moves along. Look for the KWT crowd pushing Expo as an alternative (which is about as meaningless and impact-free an exercise as it gets).

AoD
Expect that to fizzle and then a hard push for 2026 with Lake placid

It's time to move on and start planning the important city-building stuff--the Alan Thicke Museum and Dinner Theatre, the Christmas Cat Festival and the 40 foot bronze falafel...

LOL... gravy, gravy, gravy. Let's just stay focused on the real day to day issues, the potholes and jaywalkers. You know, aim real high!

This is why the Olympics should be fully privately funded. Let the people who want it pay for it.

Sounds like the nimby rallying call to me. Next you'll want to cut funding for the arts. What a lovely community you envision.

I agree with AoD. No need for pessimism today at all. This was just a temperature check that had little hope of succeeding. The PanAms were a massive success and achieved much for this city. What we need now are some passionate stake holders to build on this, to unite and generate more long term momentum for a future bid. The public is open to the idea, we just need more leadership on the issue. This foray was encouraging.

The NoTO crowd will be happy to return to their tar paper shacks and polish their shotguns for another four years. Those who think that a roughly equal amount of time, energy, and funding that would've supported city building through an Olympics will now be put to work for the city will soon realize the joke is on them. Start the discussion about which services will be cut in order to balance the city budget. If LA hosts 2024, forget a Canadian summer Olympics for 30 years. I blame the naysayers. There were very few yes voices on this forum or anywhere else. Congrats.

The NoTO crowd will be happy to return to their tar paper shacks and polish their shotguns for another four years. Those who think that a roughly equal amount of time, energy, and funding that would've supported city building through an Olympics will now be put to work for the city will soon realize the joke is on them. Start the discussion about which services will be cut in order to balance the city budget. If LA hosts 2024, forget a Canadian summer Olympics for 30 years. I blame the naysayers. There were very few yes voices on this forum or anywhere else. Congrats.
In other words, "everyone who disagrees with me is a total prick!"

Definitely disappointed about this! I hate when people say "good, can you imagine the chaos there would be in Toronto?" Well my answer is that in 2024, we would not have the same level of transit we have now, and we would obviously have made changes to our infrastructure for it. So ridiculous how small people think.

Reactions: BMO

Back