I see no evidence of "hatred of tall buildings" in any of the last few posts. If anything your apparent knee-jerk comment appears to be the one aimed at cutting off the conversation. Note that no one was demanding a shorter building.

My "knee-jerk" comment was a direct allusion to alklay's "knee-jerk" characterization of Automation Gallery as having a "fetish for tall buildings." I saw no evidence of a "fetish for tall buildings" in Auotmation Gallery's post so I made a similarly "knee-jerk" accusation to draw the comparison and thereby highlight the silliness of the original accusation by alklay. In short...

thats_the_joke.jpg

I should probably refrain from attempting to use satire as a literary technique. It almost never goes over well.

Last edited:
Fetish for tall buildings? Is preferring something around 250 metres on the 1 Bloor site a "fetish for tall buildings"? The lot he was talking about is just as viable a location for a major tower as 1 Bloor is, perhaps more given that it is so close to the CBD and other major towers. Were you pleased when they shortened Bay-Adelaide, or Trump, or 300 Front? Or perhaps you'd be happy if they just capped the height of all new developments in the city to 4 storeys? After all, nothing over 4 storeys adds to the livability of a city right? This hatred of tall buildings is amusing to watch, especially on a forum like this.

So your comments are a joke.

This, i think, is one of the cooler projects around town.... i really love the concept of having a park resting on the site of the tower! It'll be a great addition and look great when you're coming down from the CN Tower/Rogers centre! :D

so pumped for this groundbreaking/construction :D!!!

Front street west will be seeing a lot more construction activity with this project and the one at Spadina going up, plus other towers rising near by on King and Wellington. Since Tridel has deep pockets and has recently been building before selling (Regent park?), I wonder how much of this project has sold.

Great to see these empty spaces finally being built up. I wonder how many of the recent projects going forward has to do with the surge of buying before HST (as well as low rates).

Front street west will be seeing a lot more construction activity with this project and the one at Spadina going up, plus other towers rising near by on King and Wellington. Since Tridel has deep pockets and has recently been building before selling (Regent park?), I wonder how much of this project has sold.

Great to see these empty spaces finally being built up. I wonder how many of the recent projects going forward has to do with the surge of buying before HST (as well as low rates).

Generally purchase and sale agreements signed after June 18, 2009 had HST included in the purchase price (although psychologically many consumers seem to have HST as July 1 in their heads). The low rates, international investors looking for somewhere 'safe' (i.e. Canada) to park their money and to some extent new mortgage rules brought in by Flaherty on April 20th have inflated sales the first half of this year (some sales have just moved up a few months to take advantage of current conditions – so we’ve in some ways stolen sales from later in the year to boost numbers the past couple of months). Most analysts and builders are expecting a slow down in sales activity in the second half of the year.

Also Tridel doesn't typically build prior to obtaining project financing based on solid sales volumes. They do not 'pre-build'. Daniels generally doesn't on large multi-unit projects - Daniels does however pre-built for their "first-home" projects which are generally towns and stacked towns build at low prices, no real upgrades and little-to-no marketing - their target market is first-time home buyers on tight budgets. They've done a few of these projects scattered in different areas of the 'burbs and inner 'burbs. Regent Park has a different financial model then your typical high-rise project and isn't really comparable to most projects. While One Cole was built prior to sales, most other 'market' projects by this developer are heavily pre-sold prior to construction commencing.

Last edited:

Back