I walked past this today. If it comforts anyone, I can say that it looks better in real life. (if this comforts no one, I can understand).

Considering the fact that most posters' opinions on here are more nuanced than the common folk, and that this often leads to their being more open minded than less (with important exceptions), I'd hate to think what the average Joe is thinking about this place when he walks by on the way to work each morning.

Considering the fact that most posters' opinions on here are more nuanced than the common folk, and that this often leads to their being more open minded than less (with important exceptions), I'd hate to think what the average Joe is thinking about this place when he walks by on the way to work each morning.

Average Joe: "another condo" (keeps on walking)

Actually, I doubt that they pay much attention to the surrounding buildings at all. I also believe that the typical poster at UT tends to be more negative than the average person regarding building design, since their expectations regarding new buildings are far higher than those of non-urbanists.

Yeah, I think Mongo's comment is much closer to reality. Typically for those who aren't as architecturally inclined as us urban development folk, opinions seem to be split into either the "ew that's ugly" or "ooo that's shiny" camps. Or they don't notice anything at all and just enjoy the city itself.

Perhaps ignorance is bliss.

Actually, I doubt that they pay much attention to the surrounding buildings at all. I also believe that the typical poster at UT tends to be more negative than the average person regarding building design, since their expectations regarding new buildings are far higher than those of non-urbanists.

I think that people who discuss architecture will pay more attention to detail, but people who aren't as interested in architecture will still notice their surroundings and use more vague comments. These comments, using words like "beautiful", "ugly", "boring", "cool", or "classy", will still likely be rooted in reality. They will be similar in tone, not more positive or negative than posters on UT, but probably more vague.

7984434535_64c5903af5_b.jpg

7984433267_fb8375cfe7_b.jpg

I don't think that it looks as bad as people make it out to be. Sure, the spandrel colour choice isn't all that great, but the shape of the tower is really attractive/sleek in my opinion.

Really? Couldn't they find an even bleaker appearance, it could be, as has already been suggested, used as a backdrop for a prison movie, I pray it looks better in person, but so far I'm not impressed, but, to be optimistic, I'll reserve my judgement until its complete. I haven't been this disappointed since the tumor, ops, I mean, the Crystal at the ROM.

Back