The design vaguely mirrors Charlie a block away on the other side of the street with it's 6th floor terrace and tall exposed colonnade. Though the colours and general design doesn't seem that cohesive here.

tux_condos_by_great_gulffullrendering.jpg

there is a very real chance that this project does not get approved. risky to start selling now. could end up like that TAS disaster on Bloor West a few years back.

I dont think so, you are comparing apples and oranges here with Giraffe and Tux.......yes they both have the bit of extra density, but Tux is proposed in an area with similar heights and density...and sure does not have the negativity that was created by the area neighbourhood residents, and TTC.
Two different beasts:) bet this one gets approved and chopped to 34s-36s

Last edited:
Again, your exclusive obsession with height is misplaced. The issue with this proposal hasn't been it's 40 floors.

Ahh come on gristle... stop it with your problem with heights and density...we do live in Toronto,

no but you're not understanding what he's saying - he's saying that the height is fine. and he's right - height isn't the issue here. the issue is setbacks from adjacent property lines.

that's why i say there's a chance this one gets shut down entirely. nevermind chopping 1, 2 or 10 storeys.

Ahh come on gristle... stop it with your problem with heights and density...we do live in Toronto,

You really don't get it, do you? I live in this area of the city. I have no issue with density or even height for that matter. The issue has to do with how the buildings are situated and with their impact on the immediate neighbourhood. That's somewhat more nuanced than your narrow focus on the number of floors.

You really don't get it, do you? I live in this area of the city. I have no issue with density or even height for that matter. The issue has to do with how the buildings are situated and with their impact on the immediate neighbourhood. That's somewhat more nuanced than your narrow focus on the number of floors.

What, did you finally move east of Spadina, and are now more tolerante to heights.....I know very well they are in a bind with space here...but come-on, who are you kidding... there have been many other similar situations in the hood that have gone through the same approval process with success....
The old saying, "if you give it to one you must give it to the other"

I'm not fond of how the city wants every high rise in the area to stand a part, much like detached Victorian homes. I think we should have wall-to-wall 10-20s streetwall here with little setback to create a truly "big city" feel. If you want more space, buy along Dundas West etc.

I think we should have wall-to-wall 10-20s streetwall here with little setback to create a truly "big city" feel.

I disagree. "Big" cities aren't just places that have tall buildings flanking important streets. I personally really enjoy the mix of tall/low-rise buildings in Toronto and think that's what contributes to the experience of being in Toronto. If Yonge Street was just flanked by tall condos/office towers, it'd just look like Bay. Ugh.

The design vaguely mirrors Charlie a block away on the other side of the street with it's 6th floor terrace and tall exposed colonnade. Though the colours and general design doesn't seem that cohesive here.

tux_condos_by_great_gulffullrendering.jpg

What's not cohesive about this? The black and copper set each other off alternately from bottom all the way to the top, while the lighter-coloured portion of the elevation along King looks like a way to lighten the visual impact of the structure. That all seems well-thought-out and cohesive me to. And I think the black and copper set each other off very nicely.

What, did you finally move east of Spadina, and are now more tolerante to heights.....I know very well they are in a bind with space here...but come-on, who are you kidding... there have been many other similar situations in the hood that have gone through the same approval process with success....
The old saying, "if you give it to one you must give it to the other"

It's clear that you need things explained to you more than twice, so you can dig around my prior posts on this subject to get the information that you either lack or just ignore.

Suffice to say, because of poor OMB decisions which destroyed the secondary plan for the area, there is now a working tall building guideline for the eastern precinct of of the King-Spadina neighbourhood that sees towers gradually drop in height from the vicinity of Festival Tower towards Queen and Spadina. This guideline, which has existed for quite a while, is a piece of information you clear do not understand, or are ignorant of. It also explains exactly why other proposals have gone through the approval process without opposition. Moreover, the gradual drop in height also explains why there will not be a uniform height with respect to the buildings going up - something you have erroneously complained about on this forum. The guidelines have been actively promoted by the councillor and by city planning, and have been generally adopted by developers operating in the area. For better of for worse, people in the area have come to accept them, but still work hard to mitigate the negative effects. The situation differs in the western precinct of K-S, where there still is an active effort to hold heights to levels considerably lower than what is seen on the other side of Spadina.

By the way, I've lived both east and west of Spadina in this area. And how about you AG, have you lived in, or do you live, in this neighbourhood?

Last edited:
By the way, I've lived both east and west of Spadina in this area. And how about you AG, have you lived in, or do you live, in this neighbourhood?

Work but never lived in that neighbourhood, but definitely would love to invest in a condo there, im living in South Parkdale where its a bit less stressful

Work but never lived in that neighbourhood, but definitely would love to invest in a condo there, im living in South Parkdale where its a bit less stressful

Not sure if you know that the Tux Condos is launching to the Platinum Agents on Tuesday, April 17th. Most of us here do know that key to getting the best unit at a lowest price with Platinum discounts is to get in early. By looking at the history of this developer's past condo projects I believe it will be another Great Gulf's sold out project.

Back