I hope they preserve and revitalize Monarch Road. It's this obscure side street that's now abandoned and cut off from the city's grid of streets. Until recently, it was listed on Google Maps, and you can still see it as the 'upside down L' in this aerial view.

It was once the location of the Campbell Flour Company's offices and mill buildings, so it's a historic street for the Junction. The water tower in this photo was located at the end of Monarch Road.

Taken yesterday:
P1070500.JPG
P1070501.JPG
P1070502.JPG
P1070504.JPG

Attachments

• P1070500.JPG
    P1070500.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,106
  • P1070501.JPG
    P1070501.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,027
  • P1070502.JPG
    P1070502.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,008
  • P1070504.JPG
    P1070504.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,087
Considering the the heritage destruction, driver-centric site plan, large expanses of pavement, and low density, it doesn't get much worse than this from an urbanistic standpoint. It continues the lousy big box retail-driven redevelopment of the Stockyards area, even as some progress was made in the area recently to move away from this sort of suburban junk.

Last edited:
So, from a week ago today. It's an Organic Garage grocery store which will be opening behind the LA Fitness location.

DSC09440.jpg
DSC09441.jpg

Someday these big boxes and parking lots will be redeveloped.

Attachments

• DSC09440.jpg
    DSC09440.jpg
    298.3 KB · Views: 866
  • DSC09441.jpg
    DSC09441.jpg
    328.2 KB · Views: 830
Some day, but not in our life time. You still got the one up the street that been sitting there for a decade waiting to get off the ground.

Very disappointed to what took place for this site and it keeps people in their cars as well causing more gridlock for the area.

Last edited:
It would be interesting if this LA Fitness location offers free towels like the Don Mills location or a hot tub like the one in Burlington (or even both).

I visit LA Fitness every other day.

Always seemed like a temporary development, though the Organic Garage store is quite nice - was a heritage building used for it, or did they just do a convincing job of making it look like an old warehouse?

I'm not familiar with Diamond Corp - are they something to be wary of?

Always seemed like a temporary development, though the Organic Garage store is quite nice - was a heritage building used for it, or did they just do a convincing job of making it look like an old warehouse?

I'm not familiar with Diamond Corp - are they something to be wary of?

I believe when the silos were still around, there was a building in that spot. But it was just a generic grey/beige non-descript warehouse or industrial facility.

Diamond Corp can be a bit hit or miss. They tend to go in as a joint partner in many projects. Some of their more direct input ones include Reunion Crossing at St. Clair W & Old Weston, which looks decent in renderings. But they also have a G+C designed project along Broadview coming up. Both projects are joint ventures in the Diamond Kilmer partnership.

Diamond Corp is the driving force behind making The Well a thing, and lots of other massive stuff. Let's not underplay them.

Back