40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Looks like she does have to put on the red light

Ha!

I am so glad that Chow got demolished.

Good riddance.

Same here.

With Trudeau's and Wynne's majority governments, there should be no excuses in getting a lot of great things done here in Toronto!

I really do hope that Trudeau works with all of the provinces more.

Andrew Cash, Craig Scott and Peggy Nash only lost by about 1,000 votes each. I would have liked a few local NDP MPs to have won to hold the Liberals to account on urban issues.

I would have liked a few local NDP MPs to have won - Cash, Scott and Craig only lost by about 1,000 votes - to hold the Liberals to account on urban issues.

Unfortunately, given the policies advanced by and performance of Horwath and Mulcair, I am not sure if they are in much of a position to hold anyone to account on urban issues. The Liberals with have to be held to account on their own accord, and face the music in 4 years time.

AoD

Andrew Cash, Craig Scott and Peggy Nash only lost by about 1,000 votes each. I would have liked a few local NDP MPs to have won to hold the Liberals to account on urban issues.

Andrew Cash did surprisingly well, given the overall NDP fortunes last night and the fact that Davenport is a traditional Liberal riding (since the 1960s!). The fact that the Liberals were kept to a margin of victory of 1435 votes is a testament to Cash's performance as MP.

Parkdale-High Park has traditionally alternated between the NDP and Liberals, with the winning candidate often propelled by the strength or weakness of the national parties in any given election. Last night, the close race was pretty typical for that riding, and evokes the close finishes between Nash and Sarmite Bulte, and even Peggy Nash and Gerrard Kennedy (although the margin was tighter last night). In that riding, the more things change, the more they remain the same.

I don't know if the close races in Davenport and Parkdale High-Park mean that there is a long-term trend whereby the demographics in both ridings are leaning more towards the NDP (more so in Davenport), or merely that the NDP had two popular MPs whose personal popularity perhaps eclipsed the performance of their own party in this election cycle.

As for Craig Scott, to say that he "only lost" Toronto-Danforth by 1270 votes is hardly a positive statement for the NDP. Toronto-Danforth is Jack Layton's old riding, the riding where the NDP first tried door-to-door canvassing and get-out-the-vote tactics in the 1960s, and the one riding they were supposed to be able to hold no matter how disastrous a night they had in the rest of downtown Toronto. Losing by just 1270 votes is a tremendous loss for the NDP, and harkens back to the bad old days of the 1994 election. While there might be some reason for long-term optimism in Davenport and Parkdale-High Park, there is no silver lining for the NDP in Toronto-Danforth. Losing something you were never supposed to lose, but by a close margin, is no consolation. Also, Julie Dabrusin is a good candidate, well known in Riverdale, and might end up becoming a popular MP.

Turns out Toronto Centre, Spadina-Fort York and University-Spadina were not close at all.

Last edited:
Time for me to get out of the prediction business. These results make Andrea Horwath look good.

Note that there was another stunning upset in Danforth in 1988 when Dennis Mills beat Lynn McDonald. But it is definitely the riding with the strongest NDP history in Toronto.

Re: P-HP and Davenport. Peggy Nash and Andrew Cash received virtually the same number of votes as in 2011, but higher turnout put the Liberals over the top.

Agreed. It's only day one and Adam Vaughan has wasted no time in declaring that the island airport expansion is dead.

While they don't tell you this, the Port Authority staff were very much caught off-guard by the jets proposal and generally didn't like being bullied into supporting it. They won't be sad to hear this news; it makes their runway expansion job for safety purposes much easier.

They are a little wary that Adam might want to dissolve the Port Authority (move airport to GTAA and other activities to the cities control). I don't think that would come to pass but I can certainly see the Port Authorities mandate changing from strictly economic to one that includes neighbourhood benefits (say a 50 cent per ticket fee that goes toward neighbourhood improvement).

Last edited:
So do you guys think that Adam Vaughan is looking at a cabinet seat?
Hard to say. Trudeau is seeking gender parity in his cabinet, and he has to look out for regional interests. Plus, there are a lot of high profile and experienced male cabinet ministers-in-waiting in the GTA.

The Star seems to thinks so, other mainstream media not so much. I think he has an outside chance, given that he isn't new and was fairly chummy with Trudeau early on. He also has a fairly high profile. However, Trudeau is saying that it will be a slimmed down cabinet, which may reduce Adam's chances.

Hard to say. Trudeau is seeking gender parity in his cabinet, and he has to look out for regional interests. Plus, there are a lot of high profile and experienced male cabinet ministers-in-waiting in the GTA.
He'll probably need to pad the cabinet with female secretaries of state to make the numbers work.

Back