News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Blatant examples please?

Well lets just start with the airport then.

"Lengthening the runway into the lake and further into the park on the Island."

There has not been a proposal to extend a runway into the park. This is shortly after he claimed Porter was going to pave over Lake Ontario.

"The residential community predates the airport"

It does not.

"The TPA promised sound barriers and a run up berm to deflect noise and respect residents. These have not come to fruition"

They spent $900k on barriers.

The list goes on. Whether it's hyperbole or lies, he just can't help himself, and I can't imagine the trouble he'll be for the Liberals if they let him have any slack on his leash.

Well lets just start with the airport then.

"Lengthening the runway into the lake and further into the park on the Island."

There has not been a proposal to extend a runway into the park. This is shortly after he claimed Porter was going to pave over Lake Ontario.

"The residential community predates the airport"

It does not.

"The TPA promised sound barriers and a run up berm to deflect noise and respect residents. These have not come to fruition"

They spent $900k on barriers.

The list goes on. Whether it's hyperbole or lies, he just can't help himself, and I can't imagine the trouble he'll be for the Liberals if they let him have any slack on his leash.

As far as I'm concerned, Vaughn can hyperbolize all he wants if it sinks the jets plan. Porter's extension for jets basically cut off the western gap.

And, wait, what? Wasn't the airport from WWII and the cottages from the 1900s when the airport was still a hotel and baseball field? What did I miss?

Last -- so, they did the barriers but not the berm, so Vaughn is lying? Exaggerations, sure, but it wasn't like falsely accusing Porter of paying off politicians or something.

You might not like the guy, but that's more than a bit of sophistry, IMHO, to call any of those lies.

Last edited:
I wasn't so much talking about the lack of best wishes to Dabrusin - I assumed that he at least called her on the night of the election. Good to know he also tweeted. I was referring to his snide comments on the work of the Liberal MPs, which is patently untrue, as well the general patronizing tone towards the electorate and the Liberals (the "Family Compact"!). He is dismissive of any aspects of the fight against Harper that we not done by him and his NDP colleagues, is effusive in his praise for his own efforts (I would have been okay with him praising his fellow NDP MPs, but he includes himself), and at times just makes things up (the Liberals and Tories are not united in opposing more proportional representation - Trudeau was clear that this would be the last election fought under FPTP). In other words, the voters were foolish, the Liberals are fools, and only we (me) were fighting save Canada. There is nothing horrifically wrong with it. It's just navel-gazing pettiness.

The NDP lost some great Toronto MPs this week. I never really counted Scott among them, and this kind of proves to me that I was likely correct.

Have to agree, my respect for Scott dropped significantly after reading this post-election statement.

As far as I'm concerned, Vaughn can hyperbolize all he wants if it sinks the jets plan. Porter's extension for jets basically cut off the western gap.
Facts, only when they are convenient to your personal beliefs! We should be muzzling scientist as well right?

Facts, only when they are convenient to your personal beliefs! We should be muzzling scientist as well right?

Yes. And Doberman puppies.

My point was that your selection of 'lies' by Mr. Vaughn don't sound, to me, as... that bad, and maybe not even.. y'know... 'lies', if you define 'lies' like I do, which is to say, 'untruths':

1. Since Ports Toronto won't actually, y'know, tell anyone what their plans are, anyone can scaremonger in whatever direction they want, but it's more than plausible that an extended runway might also needed to be widened, or at least the tree coverage knocked down for better sightlines. I doubt it, but then, I'm not scaremongering. But, I definitely think Ports Toronto can do better than not have ANY idea of what a preliminary design might be:

http://www.portstoronto.com/PortsTo...oronto-City-Ai/Preliminary-Runway-Design.aspx

2. According to Wikipedia's history of the island, the Hanlans were there from the 1880s and others before them as far back as the 1830s. If you're talking just about the residential community on Algonquin, that seems to have been laid out because the airport was built, to accommodate cottagers that were displaced:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toronto_Islands

So to say that 'the residential community does not predate the airport' would be technically true, only if you meant the specific community now there. Well parsed, though.

3. What Vaughn and the anti-airport types wanted was a berm that would have cost millions, but would have effectively cut noise. Putting $900k into sound barriers but millions into a tunnel is... not really what the anti-airport types would see as 'working hard to mitigate noise pollution.'

I get that Vaughn gets wwwaaayyy up lots of people's noses, but c'mon.

I thought you were supposed to have election signs down at this point. I still see a lot of them up.

They get fined, and fined hard for it.

Plenty of people make big post-election bucks by calling up campaign offices and offering to pick up the signs for the candidates.

The ones I saw today (and often see post-election) are the ones on people's lawns. The ones on public property do tend to be taken down pretty quickly.

Going home from work yesterday, I saw a bunch of NDP signs still up in the Don Valley area and in my area, a few CPC signs left.

Andrew Thomson's office disappeared the day after the election, being reverted to an art studio.

His signs were promptly removed as well.

Yeah, Thomson's low vote count was a bit shocking. He was one of their star candidates.

Back