News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

It's a much needed improvement. I think slatted seats, or depending on the seat type, seats with drainage holes should be implemented in all outdoor seating surfaces.

For instance, at Wonderland I was sitting at those standard outdoor food court chairs after a rainfall, and thought how simple and genius it'd be to punch out several small holes in the recessed centre of the seat to combat pooling. I should patent the idea, and make a pretty penny off of it.

More transit shelters coming, slowly

dbe0ff0e4f0bab9016e5452665ca.jpeg

JACK LAKEY/TORONTO STAR FILE PHOTO
It took a while, but shelter at Market and The Esplanade did get a bench.

Jack Lakey
STAFF REPORTER

There's a new transit shelter coming to a windswept TTC stop near you, but it'll take a lot longer to arrive than the next bus or streetcar.

We get lots of emails and calls about transit shelters, so we called Kyp Perikleous, who's in charge of Toronto's street furniture division, which is responsible for the 4,000 shelters on city streets.

The city began a 20-year contract with Astral Media in 2007 to provide 5,000 new shelters, said Perikleous.

Astral is also responsible for maintaining existing shelters, but the city owns them.

In exchange, Astral sells advertising space on about 50 per cent of the shelters and must share revenues with the city, which is guaranteed $428 million over the 20-year deal, he said.

Of the 4,000 shelters, about 1,000 are the modern ones that were put up as part of the previous contract and do not need replacing.

Astral is obliged to replace the other 3,000 over 20 years, Perikleous said, adding the remaining 2,000 will be installed at locations with no shelter, which will eventually increase Toronto's inventory of shelters to 6,000.

The focus in the early years of the contract is to replace older shelters, said Perikleous.

That means only 30 to 40 shelters will be installed at new locations over the next five or six years, but once most of the old shelters have been replaced, the number of new locations could increase to 100 or more annually, he said.

The process begins with a request, often made to the TTC, when it's actually the responsibility of the city's transportation services to decide where they go, he said.

"We do a feasibility study to see if there's enough space for a shelter, and to make sure there's a TTC stop. Believe it or not, we get requests (for shelters) where there is no TTC stop.

"We make sure it doesn't pose any sight line obstruction and we also make sure the below-grade utilities allow for it.

"Then my staff will sketch the area so we can prepare a site map, to scale, cross-reference it with all the below-grade utilities, ensure we can provide a power source."

The city also tries to ensure new installations are co-ordinated with any construction planned for the area, said Perikleous.

"If the street is to be reconstructed in a year, or if there's a BIA improvement construction, it may delay the process for installation," which occasionally frustrates people, but is more efficient, he said.

And every new shelter will have a bench.

Source

I've seen many of the new shelters, InfoTOgo posts and corkboards but I've yet to see any of the multi publication newspaper boxes, litter bins, bike racks, benches or public WC's. Is there a schedule for rolling these out?

I'm specially looking forward to the end of the metallic litter bins with icky doors that you must push with your hands.

EDIT: I stopped being lazy and searched the city's website. I found this:

Installing New Street Furniture
Installation of the new street furniture on Toronto’s streets will begin this summer and continue over the next 20 years. The elements are of high quality in both design and materials, and for the first time, Toronto will have compatible street furniture elements designed to work together that are functional, adaptable, incorporate sustainability features and will address the City’s varied urban form and scale. By following the “Vibrant Streets” placement guidelines, the street furniture will be installed on the City’s sidewalks and boulevards in a manner that enhances its function and accessibility, and respects the needs of pedestrians of all types.

Over the next 20 years? WTF? lol

Last edited:
They actually have quite a few of the new benches scattered throughout Toronto now!

Downtown there are a lot of them in the east end i.e. around Dundas and Parliment.

Also, there's 1) right at Yonge and Eglinton (On eglinton east (past Yonge by about 1 block), south side.

They were looking pretty good to me, at first they come off a little bit plasticy but if you look more closely they're not bad.

I wouldn't say amazing by any stretch though.

I wrote this in the street sign thread before, but here in Cantral etobicoke, they are putting those benches all over the place. I suspect by the end of this year, there will be one at every bus stop that doesn't have a shelter in this area.

Should the name of this topic be changed? It's not been a proposal for a long time now.

This man has transit users covered
20-year street furniture rollout is hitting its stride under the eye of city veteran Kyp Perikleous

Kenneth Kidd
FEATURE WRITER

Kyp Perikleous is standing in a transit shelter on the southwest corner of King and York Sts., the kind of place that has, after a fashion, become his natural habitat.

"It's a little bit taller," says the man overseeing the city's new street furniture program. "There's blue banding so it highlights (the name of) the cross street."

Glass-walled save for one side reserved for advertising, the new shelter's interior features a little two-seater bench along with a map of the TTC system.

On the outside, there's a small, black rubber board, where locals can post notices about neighbourhood events or, more commonly elsewhere, yard sales, lost dogs and the like.

Perikleous, formally the city's manager of traffic planning and right-of-way management, is now overseeing the installation of a lot of shelters – a scheduled 400 per year through 2018, the pace slowing thereafter.

In all, the 20-year program will see nearly 26,000 new pieces of street furniture spread across the city, from shelters and benches to newspaper stands and recycling bins. But, given some design and manufacturing delays in 2008, the rollout will only start hitting its stride this year. Within the next couple of weeks, for instance, all of the current benches will disappear from city streets to be replaced by a new, standard model.

Which also means that any complaints about the furniture's design or where it is and isn't tends to end up "on our lap," says Perikleous. "You can never satisfy everyone."

This could pass as the motto of the whole program, or at least its initial stages, which didn't proceed without controversy.

Two of the biggest players in the street furniture business – Cemusa (now doing New York City) and JCDecaux North America (Chicago) – both opted out of the bidding, saying the risks were too high and the prospects of making a profit just too slim.

The eventual winning entry, from Astral Media using furniture by Toronto designer Jeremy Kramer, didn't lack for critics, which might be inevitable for any design that has to combine esthetics with sometimes subtle day-to-day functions. The clear glass and the armrest dividing the bench in shelters, for instance, are meant to discourage the homeless from sleeping there.

But the jury remains out on whether a single design is right for the entire city, given that roughly two-thirds of Toronto was built after World War II. Should Queen St. downtown get the same treatment as Brimley Rd. in Scarborough?

What is clear is that the city's streetscape desperately needed a makeover. There are several generations of shelters out there, more than a dozen styles of benches, and all manner of recycling and trash bins, many with advertising.

Under the current program, Astral will pay for all of the new furniture but only be allowed to sell ads on the shelters on commercial streets.

"You're not going to see all these competing ads cluster in a corner," says Perikleous. "That's what we're trying to clean up."

The deal will see the city will get a guaranteed $428 million in payments spread over 20 years, possibly more, should ad revenues exceed targets. Astral is responsible for maintenance, and at the end of the contract, the city gains ownership of the furniture.

Perikleous came to the program in 2005 from right-of-way management, where he had, among other things, written a new front-yard parking bylaw to consolidate the mishmash of rules used by the pre-amalgamation municipalities.

A 22-year veteran with the city, Perikleous joined up after receiving a diploma from the Toronto School of Business and spending two student summers with the city as a parking meter collector and then payroll clerk. "I started as a summer student and kind of never left."

Nor is this his first brush with shelters. In 2001, Perikleous was in charge of rolling out the first 600 shelters designed by Kramer – not for Astral, but for a predecessor company, CBS Outdoor, whose contract expired in 2007.

Now he's overseeing roughly two dozen staffers, since it turns out that placing street furniture is trickier than you might think. City staff must measure each potential site, take photographs, and prepare a scale drawing at the soon-to-be standard rate of 50 a week.

The rules are fairly exacting. Shelters on commercial streets, for instance, have to be within reach of an underground source of power. And every shelter has to be 0.6 metres (including the curb) away from the road, but still leave a pedestrian "clearway" on the sidewalk between 1.525 and 2.1 metres.

That's why one version of the new shelters doesn't include side walls – to accommodate both pedestrians and commuters where space is too tight.

The rules won't stop complaints.

"People are passionate about their areas," says Perikleous. "You have to understand where they're coming from."

Source

I've started seeing the new garbage bins. They're much smaller than they appeared in photos. About half the size of the current metallic bins.

West Queen West has a couple as does King St. I've also seen some of the new benches across from CAMH.

omg the new bins look like rubbish! Seriously, they look flimsy, tacky design, and generally fit in with uncolourful toronto the grey (urban shocker may approve;)....)

Spotted@Dundas West and Bloor: already tagged!

dsc01476.jpg

Looks like the panel gaps/build quality of a 1975 GM or Lada product!

Last edited:
I saw 2 of those rubbish! on St Clair yesterday and they have been place in the last week.

One is over by Dufferin St and the other is in the construction zone for Phase II work of all things.

Did one put this in the wrong spot?

Why do it now when the sidewalk will be torn up in May-July?

That design is an embarrassment. Clearly, the importance of design aesthetics is still ignored in this city. Forget all these megaprojects by starchitects... we need to clean up the streets of Toronto first.

I've seen these around too and was shocked when I saw them in person. Another opportunity for improvement down the drain.

Back