News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Not only are the new litter bins look like cheap tupperware bins, they are also placed in many places way too far from the curb, becoming an obstacle.

Why can't we build garbage cans to look like garbage cans anymore?

How on earth do you open them in the winter? Good grief, your lucky if they've shovelled out the TOP of the garbage can, let alone the bottom!

Won't last long ...

I saw one in person!

Honestly ... they don't look THAT bad. Deffinetly better then the old hulking monsters we used to have ... although I've a little torn because the ones that are painted black are pretty nice ... this new stuff is a little plasticy. But honestly, see it in person before judging!

The bigger issue, as some have pointed out ... what happens in winter!!

I didn't try pushing the top in without the level.

If it's not that hard to push in (which I think is the case) then we'll be fine i.e. pushing one of the covers doesn't => you need as much force as when you step on the foot pedal.

Absolutely disgusting. When I saw this design get approved, I was disappointed immediately. How could this design win? It makes no sense... UGH!

One more thing ... it really really stands out in person :)

Hopefully that'll change when the newpaper boxes (if they still exist) get replaced a long with everything else. The contrast between the new bin and the old one is quite staggering.

A bit off topic ... they're really starting to install the new benches everywhere now. I'm not really sure what to think about them to be honest ... they're a bit bulky I find.

Shhh, they're not garbage cans, anymore. They're solid waste receptacles.

Just like you can't call a hospital a hospital any longer. It's a "Health Care Centre".

http://youtube.com/watch?v=8HAGc521SAo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h67k9eEw9AY&feature=related

Seriously though, they aren't the *worst* things out there. Save your indignation for other, more insidious blights on this city. Besides, in my neck of the woods, they placed two of these bins at the Yonge and Davisville intersection, where morons coming out of the Tim Hortons and Starbucks would leave cups all over the place while waiting for the Bayview and Yonge buses. I *lobbied* for bins to be placed there since I moved to the area last December. So as far as I'm concerned, if they do the job of capturing even half of that trash, then I don't really give a damn if they don't look like Tiffany boxes with flaps.

Sean, they were links to Carlin's riffs on euphemisms. Delete them if you want, as I only went on referrals I found by Googling, as DOJ blocks pretty much every site on the planet.

If the foot-lever works, I think I can forgive the relative fuglyness of the bin. There is quite frankly nothing more disconcerting than trying to put garbage through those awfully filthy covers. I don't know why they decided to use plastics - I suspect it's cheaper and the components are easier to mass produce and replace. Like trying to clean a graffiti-covered stainless bin; all you need to do in this case is pop out the old cover and put in a new one without worrying too much about cost.

Ditto fiendish's comment re: all is forgiven if it made people more willing to put garbage where they belong. Still think we need a bigger stick though.

AoD

they should have chose black instead of gray. this way they wouldn't suffer from permanent marker plague.

they should have chose black instead of gray. this way they wouldn't suffer from permanent marker plague.

Agreed... why is this city so afraid of black? Almost every other cosmopolitan city uses black lamposts, black utility poles, black transit shelters etc. Toronto is often ridiculed for having neighbourhoods of gray mediocrity (see Bay St condo corridor), soa flash of black here and there would at least in the slightest add some contrast to the streets.

If the foot-lever works, I think I can forgive the relative fuglyness of the bin. There is quite frankly nothing more disconcerting than trying to put garbage through those awfully filthy covers. I don't know why they decided to use plastics - I suspect it's cheaper and the components are easier to mass produce and replace. Like trying to clean a graffiti-covered stainless bin; all you need to do in this case is pop out the old cover and put in a new one without worrying too much about cost.

Ditto fiendish's comment re: all is forgiven if it made people more willing to put garbage where they belong. Still think we need a bigger stick though.

AoD

i'm a germaphobe so i love the foot pedal idea (if it works)! there is nothing more biologically dangerous than the lids on the current bins.

Back