March 01-11: parts are at grade level now
5490768552_966e2c2911_b.jpg

5490776286_5afcd078e2_b.jpg

5490795240_3819bcff68_b.jpg

5490196479_4d2b835b95_b.jpg

More photos
[video=youtube;XflYJPWsp4M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XflYJPWsp4M[/video]

looks like the tower portion is officially at ground level. this is surreal! i've been dreaming of this!

Great job

Exciting.

^Oh, the richest and most powerful city in the Western World - if not the planet - has more impressive development plans than Toronto? You don't say!

Sir you should give more credit to T.O. We have been ranked the fourth most livable city with continued pop growth projections.

Last edited by a moderator:
^ Er, just to be clear: Toronto can't compete with New York City. Why should we? It's big apples and small oranges. Nice mandarins, say. New York is New York, and one of its joys is that it's singular. There's only ever going to be one.

In fact, part of the reason that we changed our name back from York to Toronto back in 1834 was because people were tired of the place being dismissively referred to as "Little York." True story! It was in a book somewhere. And it's nice that one particular magazine ranked us as "liveable," even though several other rankings didn't. Alas, it's hard not to have continued pop growth. Who doesn't? Buffalo?

All of which is just to say: Man, I wish we had architecture here like they did there. But wondering when Toronto is going to compare to New York is like asking when Sudbury is going to compare to Toronto.

(Though they do have an extremely large smokestack there, which is a good start. No, seriously: Check this out!)

Toronto is kind of halfway between Sudbury and New York, isn't it? I mean, the corner of Yonge and Gerrard will soon be NYC-scaled, but half a kilometer away, the corner of Sherbourne and Gerrard is definitely Sudbury-scaled.

The good thing is we're moving closer to NYC than Sudbury. At the current rate of building it will probably take another 50-100 years to get anywhere near Manhattan (plus recessions and real estate crashes), but we're heading in the right direction.

just passed by the site earlier today for the closing sale at de boer's. relatively speaking, the project is moving quickly. can't believe it's already at ground level.

Back