The question that still remains to be answered is: Why more t han 6 months to complete podium consisting of only 4 floors. In earlier posts, it was stated that it would take more than 6 months to finish the podium.
From what I've seen, generally podiums are more complex then the typical floors on the rest of the building. They tend to be larger and often each floor is a different layout. There's commonly different uses for the podiums other than residential too so different provisions are sometimes made. Once you get past the more complex parts of the building the floorplate usually doesn't deviate that much, so things move more quickly. 2 weeks per floor is pretty typical.

From what I've seen, generally podiums are more complex then the typical floors on the rest of the building. They tend to be larger and often each floor is a different layout. There's commonly different uses for the podiums other than residential too so different provisions are sometimes made. Once you get past the more complex parts of the building the floorplate usually doesn't deviate that much, so things move more quickly. 2 weeks per floor is pretty typical.

Thanks for the insight, Cassius.

2 1/2 metres... thick? Really? Not feet?

I went back to my original post about this and here it is below. Unless I misheard the guy, it's 2 1/2 metres. But I'm not a construction guy - is that not realistic?

'While at the site today I had a long talk with a senior member of the construction team and gleaned the following tidbits of info. They are scheduled to reach ground level in 5 to 6 months on the east side of the ramp. The west side of the ramp depicted in image #1 is woefully behind schedule. Target date for the third crane is Dec. 1. The whole project is scheduled for completion in 2014. One of the cranes on the east side of the ramp may be removed once they hit floor 55. Things should move quickly until they reach the podium when things will slow, especially on level P5 where there is a two and half metre thick slab of concrete to deal with. In image #2 the red arrow depicts where the TTC entrance will be. The blue arrow points to the yellow fence. This is where level P1 will be, the first level of retail. This level will house 176 mini stores like the type you find in Pacific Mall.'

Last edited:
They're forming up for the second floor at the NE corner of the site. Shouldn't be long before we can really start to get a feel for how the building is going to impact Yonge and the immediate environs.

Perhaps the Mall in the podium of Aura will be designated an emergency fallout shelter... With 9 feet of concrete above your head I think you're safe from most crap. Except those pesky meteors.

:p

I went back to my original post about this and here it is below. Unless I misheard the guy, it's 2 1/2 metres. But I'm not a construction guy - is that not realistic?

I'm not a construction guy either, but that would be a solid 8-foot slab of concrete, almost an entire floor's worth of solid concrete. Seems more apt for sheltering nuclear centrifuges from bunker-buster bombs, or perhaps sheltering your submarine pens from allied air-raids.

I can't see it being 2.5 metres, but they build rollercoasters and another amusement park rides with really thick concrete pads to support the pressure as well, so maybe it will be. I guess time will tell!

Hang on guys. Are we talking about level P5, the deepest level of parking? If so, it's already been built. I don't remember seeing 8 feet of concrete being poured.
Guess I'm totally confused.

Back