It would seem my post was not clear-- there WILL be trees with the same black metal grates that are used outside College Park. The sidewalk is very wide and there is certainly room for trees there. Hopefully they will take.

I think we all agree that trees are very very very very important. With all these condos going up in Toronto, the city has to impose all developers to pay extreme attention to their landscaping. That's all. We have to be green. Having said that just read a travel article in new york times stating how green Toronto was. So go figure!!

Seriously? Ever take the ferry to the islands, or cycle out to the end of the Leslie Street Spit and look back at the city? Aside from the core downtown towers, all you can see is trees, thousands of them. It's hard to believe there's a city of millions when it looks like a Forrest, it's one of the things I love about living here. I think we probably have the most green space out of any other city our size in the world! That being said, it's always nice to see a little green, but there are realistic expectations, until start vertical farming, which I'm sure will happen sooner then we think! With the climate destroying crops, vertical farming will be the way to go!

I was in Vancouver and I was blown away by the amount of trees over there along the streets. Big, green, healthy. Granted it rains a lot there. But it looks like its very well thought out. Robson st was nothing special, but the trees made it so welcoming and pretty. I'm telling u guys, trees make or break the look of a street. They r absolutely imperative. We need them everywhere.

Couldn't agree more vatche. Look at the Rue Caulaincourt in Paris. We can only dream.

ruecaulaincourt.jpg

That's exactly what I'm talking about. It's a beautiful picture not because of the architecture but because of the trees in an urban setting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote:
THERE’S something happening in Toronto. While so many cities lament the global economic crisis and the dulling effects of globalization, boutiques and restaurants seem to open every week in Toronto, and immigrant neighborhoods still feel linguistically, gastronomically, gloriously, distinct. The cultural diversity and urbanity seem limitless. But it’s hardly an urban jungle. Toronto is filled with lush, insistent greenery and an abundance of parks. It’s hard to imagine a better city to explore in summer.

Here's the article in the ny times

Good luck finding commercial street like this in Toronto. While we may have a great number of trees in our inner-city residential streets - commercial/retail streets have the saddest trees I've ever seen - half dead (or entirely dead), spindly, stunted - depressing.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a beautiful picture not because of the architecture but because of the trees in an urban setting.

I am fairly certain it is both - plus the scale of the buildings in relation to its' settings. I'd be curious to know what sort of arrangement they have for the soil - in Toronto, one of the main problems is that the "trench" doesn't provide sufficient soil for the tree to grow and mature.

Speaking of trees - the microclimate for the area right across Yonge from Aura gets unpleasant at certain time in the morning - the reflection from the glass creates a very localized heating.

AoD

Last edited:
yes, insufficient soil is a problem, but i think bark damage from bikes is a huge factor. We need proper/sufficient bike parking, and tree guards to protect the trunks from damage - especially when they are young.

I'm in Seattle right now. Even though it's a very green city, it is nothing like Vancouver. Vancouver is much better planned, hands down. So the sad climate but better tree lined streets. Montreal has better tree lined streets than Toronto. I think when they built these streets they maybe didn't cut the trees down??? I don't know.

One Floor Per Week

From Aura's Blog page:

http://auracondos.blogspot.ca/

Recently, we toured the construction site with project site super, Brian MacLean who provided us with the latest construction updates on Aura.

20-07-12+Progress+Photos+%23104+-+View+of+Tower+from+Yonge+St.jpg

Currently, Aura's 32nd floor is being poured. The quick progress can be attributed to the use of two systems to pour concrete. The first uses a pumping system that pumps the concrete from the ground level up to the floor that will be poured. As construction progresses upwards, the pump system also moves upwards. The use of cranes lifting buckets to the required floor also helps to speed up the process of pouring concrete for columns. With both systems in place, from start to finish, it takes one week to complete a floor which is pretty impressive considering the enormity of Aura's floor plate size.

27-07-12+Progress+Photos+%2523105+-+L32+Overview+Pour%25232+and+Pour%25233.jpg

Inside the residential tower, the lower and upper floors are at a different stage of construction. The lower floors are well underway with most of the drywall, and tiling installed including primer on walls. Drywall in suites higher up will begin shortly.

20-07-12+Progress+Photos+%2523104+-+L8+Primed+Suites.jpg

On the retail podium level, the 2nd floor premises for Bed Bath & Beyond, the North American retail giant is quickly taking shape. Workers are installing drywall to the exterior walls, and completing the Bed, Bath & Beyond interior offices and lobby. The open concept interior of this large retail space boasts 15-16 foot ceilings that allow for an abundance of product shelving. Workers are installing shelving brackets throughout the space, so shelving heights and shelving placement can be tailored for merchandising products. In the next few weeks custom flooring with a polished finish will be completed.

20-07-12+Progress+Photos+%23104+-+L3+BBB.jpg

20-07-12+Progress+Photos+%23104+-+L3+BBB+Offices.jpg

All of the retail shops on the subway retail level are now complete with finishing touches to the the food court happening this week. In the next couple of months retailers will be moving in to custom outfit their stores and prepare for their much anticipated public opening later this fall.

27-07-12+Progress+Photos+%2523105+-+Food+Court+%25282%2529.jpg

Holy crap, I had no idea the underground part looked so completed! I thought that last photograph was a rendering for a few moments.

Great update!

When you describe this as subway level retail, I assume you mean from College Park. What will happen to the foodcourt in College Park proper? It's sort of shabby and so I assume traffic will shift down to Aura.

Frankly I'm puzzled why the grocery store on the subway level hasn't expanded to accomodate future residents. Having a Sobeys upstairs competing is strange.

Ha sanyone heard of plans to upgrade College Park's retail?

When you describe this as subway level retail, I assume you mean from College Park. What will happen to the foodcourt in College Park proper? It's sort of shabby and so I assume traffic will shift down to Aura.

Frankly I'm puzzled why the grocery store on the subway level hasn't expanded to accomodate future residents. Having a Sobeys upstairs competing is strange.

Ha sanyone heard of plans to upgrade College Park's retail?

The retail portion of College Park is already vastly different from what it was 20 years ago. Expanding Metro would require a complete reconfiguration of that floor.

777 Bay St., where Sobeys is located, is owned by Canderel, whereas the older part of College Park is owned by GWL Realty Advisors.

Back