The area in front of 120 Bloor East (north side, between Park Rd., & Church St.) is almost done, just a few slabs to be completed along the east side of the building on Bloor St.

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

Trees west of Yonge Street are coming soon! (can't wait!)

Still no sign of trees west of Yonge Street but it looks like the flower beds are prepped and ready, so hopefully in the next week or two they will start to arrive. Tulips are popping up by the hundreds in the beds east of Yonge.

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

There are plenty of bike lockups and many areas to sit west of Yonge on the north side of Bloor Street, very few areas on the south side for some reason. Perhaps they are yet to come.

The east half of 120 Bloor St. has begun installing the granite sidewalk slabs. The west half in front of the building was completed late last fall.

Bloor is still a mess
It's been three summers of mess and still the Mink Mile's $20-million facelift isn't done

TORONTO - During a visit to the newly refurbished Bloor St. for an eye appointment last Friday morning, I was appalled to see that nothing — absolutely nothing — has been done to complete that street’s long drawn-out transformation project.

Last I was told, on April 11 by Gord MacMillan, the city’s director of design and construction, 88 trees were to be planted starting the week after we spoke to replace the orange construction cones that have sat since last summer in the stretch from Avenue Rd. to Yonge St.

He also informed me at the time the entire $20-million project — which went $4.4 million over budget and left the tony shops on Bloor St. fighting for customers through dust and debris for three summers — would wrap up by the end of May.

Instead, the street looks far worse than it did a month ago.

None of the orange cones — with banners promising a greener Bloor and 100-plus new “rooftop condos” for birds — have been replaced with actual trees.

But the line of planter boxes along the granite sidewalk now have dirt heaped up beside them with orange construction fencing around the box locations. Many of the empty planter boxes have been used as trash receptacles for used coffee cups and newspapers.

Outside Tiffany’s I even noticed an old broom lying on the sidewalk beside one of the planter box locations.

What an absolute eyesore.

More....http://www.torontosun.com/2011/04/29/levy-bloor-is-still-a-mess

Is that a joke ?

Speeking of which they've started planing some flowers now - and it looks like they're getting ready for the trees.

But the line of planter boxes along the granite sidewalk now have dirt heaped up beside them with orange construction fencing around the box locations. Many of the empty planter boxes have been used as trash receptacles for used coffee cups and newspapers.

Outside Tiffany’s I even noticed an old broom lying on the sidewalk beside one of the planter box locations.

What an absolute eyesore.

More....http://www.torontosun.com/2011/04/29/levy-bloor-is-still-a-mess

The Sun is, as usual, all confused and busy starting rumour! The piles of earth are clearly connected to the planting that taal reports on and the broom is probably to brush up any spilled earth. What a group of idiots.!

The weather has not exactly been conducive to planting anything for the past couple of weeks. Don't let that fact stand in the way of an overblown newsbit.

Heaps of soil and gardening tools next to planters?! This project is clearly a spectacular failure.

AG: whyyy do you keep posting Sun articles? I'll admit they're usually pretty funny.

Speeking of which they've started planing some flowers now - and it looks like they're getting ready for the trees.

There's about two or three thousand mostly yellow, but a few red, pansies planted around the perimetre of the flower beds east of Yonge Street with hundreds of tulips springing up in the middle. It's very dramatic.
No sign of trees yet west of Yonge, surely this will happen within the next week or so or they are going to miss the boat on the best time to plant them.

trees

do we have any reason to believe that these trees will be able to survive surrounded by so much concrete? I don't see anything different in the photos than in other areas where trees wither and die...

I guess you didn't watch them construct the whole thing then.

There are special watering pipes and so forth below the sidewalk which differentiates it from other efforts. Although, as has been observed its all for naught since soil and shovels have been spotted. Tragic.

As per the most recent Bloor-Yorkville BIA newsletter, the street will be closed on June 19 for a big street party/grand unveiling.
So I assume they'll be finished by the end of May.

Can't wait to see those trees go in! :)

Back