Actually, it seems to be exactly the case for many drivers, too. Walking a distance for many drivers seems completely unacceptable and thus some even park illegally not to or avoid driving to areas where they might have to walk five minutes from where they parked. It may be different on Bloor where there is no curb parking, but even there many buildings have underground parking.

It's hard to think of cyclists as lazy. Having a bicycle in front of the building you're going into makes it easier to keep an eye on it. Though some cyclists simply don't want to look around, the fact is that more parking is necessary in this busy area.

Absolutely, it is the case with drivers, as well as cyclists. But cars get ticketed. Bikes don't. Most underground lot sin Yorkville have bike parking there too. Having a bike in front of the building you are going into makes it easier to keep an eye on, but when you are 20 stories up, there is not much you can do. Besides, aren't bikes uaually locked?

Since you need clearance of a certain distance for bike posts, i doubt there is much room left on the street what with all the planters, benches, litter recaptacles, etc... but there is certainly a significant amount more than there was, pre-construction!

Was just buying a suit and talking to the man in the shop about this project. He told me he was also the Treasurer for the BYIA(?). An interesting fact he shared is that a fair bit of the Atlantic Granite paving stones are stored away not only for future repairs, but also to replace stonework in front of retailers who did not participate but who opt to later. Potential examples such as Ashleys, Colonnade etc.

So there is still hope!

Was just buying a suit and talking to the man in the shop about this project. He told me he was also the Treasurer for the BYIA(?). An interesting fact he shared is that a fair bit of the Atlantic Granite paving stones are stored away not only for future repairs, but also to replace stonework in front of retailers who did not participate but who opt to later. Potential examples such as Ashleys, Colonnade etc.

So there is still hope!

...and the Manulife Centre

Bloor St. just got a little cheerier with the new facade on Longo's.

longo11.jpg

I've been watching them do this since they started with the shiny black granite last week. I love having a Longo's in the nabe, it's a little pricey but some of their products are fabulous.

It looks like this is a Longo's specific project, don't hold your breath waiting for anything to happen with HBC.

Boy, that was long in coming to the point I forgot all about it.

Even at a higher price scale, it will service the area that hasn't one for years.

good infill

Much, much better than the bedding store that used to be there, and the messy, overpriced Jumbo Video prior to that.

During the "Celebrate Bloor" event in mid June, metal fences were placed around all the garden planters to protect them from the crowds. In preparing for the Pride parade (which would clearly attract many more people) poles were driven into the gardens and surrounded by a plastic netting type barrier. Needless to say it failed, many of the poles were knocked into the gardens along with the plastic netting and plants trampled plus all plants around the edges of the planter boxes were crushed. Friendly note to the Yorkville BIA next year: bring back the metal fences on Pride weekend!

On another matter, a restaurant or bar has opened in front of the main entrance to the Colonnade on Bloor. I presume the fountain is gone for good now.

Many of the trees on the east side of Yonge that haven't been doing too well have been marked with green spray paint, presumably to easily identify them for replacement. I noticed that many of the trees are literally shedding their bark, never seen that before. Perhaps they're diseased? One new tree that was planted right in front of Peridot Restaurant/The Spotted Dick in June has even begun to fail. Strange.

Don't plane trees shed their bark periodically?

Anyways, the trees east of Yonge aren't doing very well. West of Yonge, the trees seem to be doing mostly fine.

Back