News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.7K     0 

Woodhouse Brewing Taking Over Former Lot 30 Brewers Location in Toronto

Woodhouse Brewing is planning to open its brewpub at 303 Lansdowne Ave. in October following renovations which are currently underway.

Sad story about Lot 30 closing, since it was my local craft brewery, but not entirely surprising. I was a regular customer since it opened as Lansdowne Brewery back in 2015, and it seemed to always have an undercurrent of mis-management. I mean, that must be the case given that Toronto has tons of craft breweries and yet it's only one I've ever heard of that went out of business. How do you screw that up?? I was getting increasingly frustrated going there over the last year.

Anyways, I'm relieved that at least another craft brewery will be opening in its place. I was already dreading the potential spectre of yet another fucking ramen/sushi/Asian fusion restaurant opening.

Winners Announced for Golden Tap Awards & Ontario Brewing Awards 2019

BY CBN
ON SEPTEMBER 13, 2019 AT 11:00 AM

Sad story about Lot 30 closing, since it was my local craft brewery, but not entirely surprising. I was a regular customer since it opened as Lansdowne Brewery back in 2015, and it seemed to always have an undercurrent of mis-management. I mean, that must be the case given that Toronto has tons of craft breweries and yet it's only one I've ever heard of that went out of business. How do you screw that up?? I was getting increasingly frustrated going there over the last year.

Anyways, I'm relieved that at least another craft brewery will be opening in its place. I was already dreading the potential spectre of yet another fucking ramen/sushi/Asian fusion restaurant opening.

I've found that property to be in a disadvantage location-wise. Sort of at a tough spot for customer flow where both Dundas W and College terminates before crossing the bridge. Pedestrian traffic and retail already gradually tapers off as it moves further west towards Lansdowne. The patio view fronting Lansdowne, and getting flanked by a small car dealership and strip mall, isn't much to look at.

Although from what I recall, the original Lansdowne Brewery did a slightly better job at managing it than the later Lot 30 group. I do hope Woodhouse have better luck and success in the future.

Last edited:
I've found that property to be in a disadvantage location-wise. Sort of at tough spot for customer flow where both Dundas W and College terminates before crossing the bridge. Pedestrian traffic and retail already gradually tapers off as it moves further west towards Lansdowne. The patio view fronting Lansdowne, and getting flanked by a small car dealership and strip mall, isn't much to look at.

Although from what I recall, the original Lansdowne Brewery did a slightly better job at managing it than the later Lot 30 group. I do hope Woodhouse have better luck and success in the future.

It is a bit awkward, but it's still at the confluence of 3 very busy transit lines and numerous trendy areas. Being such a well connected neighbourhood, I think it has a high redevelopment potential, and it's only a matter of time before developers take notice. Obvious ideal condo sites are the car wash, the scuzzy Tim Horton's plaza, the triangular wedge across the street with the gas station, the used car lot, and most of all, the massive No Frills site. I'm surprised there haven't been a slew of proposals already.

It is a bit awkward, but it's still at the confluence of 3 very busy transit lines and numerous trendy areas. Being such a well connected neighbourhood, I think it has a high redevelopment potential, and it's only a matter of time before developers take notice. Obvious ideal condo sites are the car wash, the scuzzy Tim Horton's plaza, the triangular wedge across the street with the gas station, the used car lot, and most of all, the massive No Frills site. I'm surprised there haven't been a slew of proposals already.

Would be nice to get that area kick started. Enigma Lofts just north of the park is now completed, but the Lansdowne/Dundas/College pocket is ripe for redevelopment. My guess is the car wash could be the first to go. Perhaps something similar in scale as the Howard Park condos closer to Roncy.

Would be nice to get that area kick started. Enigma Lofts just north of the park is now completed, but the Lansdowne/Dundas/College pocket is ripe for redevelopment. My guess is the car wash could be the first to go. Perhaps something similar in scale as the Howard Park condos closer to Roncy.

Absolutely. I despise that car wash. If I were head of a major development firm, I'd be snapping up as many properties in this immediate area as possible.

It was actually the same mangement for both venues, there was a falling out due to different opinions plus all the red tape that led to the rebranding. I was a regular and chatted with the manger often. However, after the closing of Lot 30 I cam eacross a lot of discourse saying that management at this location across both venues was pretty bad.

That said, Woodhouse has been a prominent entity in the Toronto craft brew scene, and having an own location with that name behind it should hopefully thrive.

It was actually the same mangement for both venues, there was a falling out due to different opinions plus all the red tape that led to the rebranding. I was a regular and chatted with the manger often. However, after the closing of Lot 30 I cam eacross a lot of discourse saying that management at this location across both venues was pretty bad.

That said, Woodhouse has been a prominent entity in the Toronto craft brew scene, and having an own location with that name behind it should hopefully thrive.

Care to elaborate on what you heard? I was a regular with my family consistently over 4 years, so I'm very curious what you've heard.

Care to elaborate on what you heard? I was a regular with my family consistently over 4 years, so I'm very curious what you've heard.

Unfortuantely no exact details, just some of the staff airing out a few grievances on various social media platforms.

Generic/mainstream maybe, but I enjoyed C'est What on Front St. and Three Brewers in Richmond Hill in my time.

Generic/mainstream maybe, but I enjoyed C'est What on Front St.....

C'est What is a legit place. It's especially good for binge drinking or alcoholism. Just wander on down and get lost in the cellar. :) (I'm not even being a dick, me and my mates have spent many a winter's day cooped up in some pub for the better part of a day.....6-8 hours....record being 10, when you've had 3 full meals in the pub and haven't left).

Woodhouse Brewpub at 301 Lansdowne is now open.

Is it worth checking out? I rarely go north of King Street and I don't really like drinking anymore so it's gotta be worth the trip to "here be dragons" land.

Is it worth checking out? I rarely go north of King Street and I don't really like drinking anymore so it's gotta be worth the trip to "here be dragons" land.

Not entirely sure yet - I just popped my head in last night for a few minutes to have a quick look around. No bottle shop yet as they're waiting for their permit, and they didn't seem to have any special brews up and running yet aside from the ones they sell in the LCBO. Didn't see the menu, but an acquaintance said the chicken wings are very good. The space is just ok - seems like they're trying to copy the look of Bellwoods or Blood Brothers or Kensington Brewery by painting everything white except the wood tables, long bar, and shelving. The really nice vintage re-purposed wood paneling and rustic brickwork that Lot 30 had painstakingly installed has been ruined by being painted all white. All the tasteful, well curated artwork is gone. All the comfy booths are gone. There are a few large, obnoxious TV's that one can't escape, though I suppose "that's what the people want". I thought the dark interior and décor when it was Lot 30 was far more intricate, well put together and cozy. Now it just feels quite stark in comparison, almost like a warehouse. They've built a tall wooden fence around the front patio along Lansdowne like a box, so now you can't see the street anymore. So appearance wise, the place has endured a major, insensitive downgrade. Lot 30 spent a lot of money to make the space look great using expensive materials and clearly the touch of a seasoned interior designer, and now Woodhouse has spent a lot less money making the place look cheap and sparse. The vibe has transitioned from a quirky, artsy hipster brewpub to something uncomfortably close (but stopping just short) to a sports bar.

So no, not worth a trip, especially ALL THE WAY FROM KING STREET.

Last edited:

Back