News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Also if NY state (plus NJ) can support 4 teams than surely Ontario can support an additional one, maybe two.

I agree....not only can the City of Toronto most likely suport another team, but i just can't see how an NHL expansion team wouldn't work out in a boom-town like Mississauga (pop, 800.000) and also considering being so close to two other major centres (Toronto and Hamilton.):confused:

Nobody is taking this serious, but we might actually have a second NHL team before we land an NFL franchise team here in Toronto. You never know:cool:

Rookie councillor pushes for second NHL team in Toronto

With the Vancouver Canucks currently battling Boston for Lord Stanley's coveted Cup, and a pro team heading to Winnipeg, the hockey buzz in Canada is as strong as it's been for quite some time.

Riding the momentum, one rookie councillor hopes the NHL will consider sending another team north of the border - to Toronto.

Eglinton-Lawrence Coun. Josh Colle convinced the city's Economic Development Committee to agree to ask football-loving Mayor Rob Ford to write a letter to the NHL, expressing interest in a second Toronto hockey franchise.

"We've seen the good news in Winnipeg," Colle told a throng of reporters. "And if you're going to come to the GTA, if you're going to come to southern Ontario, I want it to be Toronto."

"If we do something well here you've go to attract other businesses that do the same thing," he said, referring to the monetary success of the Leafs. "To me that makes a lot of sense."

New York has thrived with both the Rangers, Islanders, but Counc. Michael Thompson didn't seem too enthusiastic about following the Big Apple's lead.

"I think the congestion, all the traffic and things that we get complaints about now, to add to that I think would be a real problem," he argued.

When asked if he had similar concerns about a possible NFL franchise heading to Toronto, his position softened.

"That's a different question all together. If people want to bring the NFL to Toronto it's not the same as bringing another hockey team that plays in the same league, they are two different types of organizations, two different games."

A University of Toronto report, titled “The New Economics of the NHL,†found that Toronto can support two teams, and would still generate higher revenue than the average U.S. sunbelt franchise.

But what would the team be called? When CityNews reporter Francis D'Souza asked Torontonians their opinion, one name kept popping up, "The Toronto Beavers".

Council will decide in their next meeting whether to push forward with the proposal.
http://www.citytv.com/toronto/cityn...ncillor-pushes-for-second-nhl-team-in-toronto

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...franchise-gets-cool-reception/article2045448/

way to dodge the question Michael Thompson.... so let me see if I get this right.... another NHL team, that draws about 20,000 means traffic and congestion, even though a new team arena could be built at say Downsview close to GO and subway but an NFL club, who's preferred location is beside a freeway off ramp and draws 80,000+ won't lead to congestion??? who elects these idiots?

He is right though. 18-20,000 people spread over 41 games (plus 4 pre-season plus 2 to 16 in the playoffs) will have a much greater impact than 8 (+2, plus up to 3) football games per year. I think it's fair to say that Sunday morning is the least congested time of the entire week. I'd much prefer coming up with ways to get 80,000 people to a stadium a few times/year when no one else is on the road than trying to get 20,000 people somewhere around rush hour in the middle of winter. I don't know if that's what he's thinking, but that's how I view it.

way to dodge the question Michael Thompson.... so let me see if I get this right.... another NHL team, that draws about 20,000 means traffic and congestion, even though a new team arena could be built at say Downsview close to GO and subway but an NFL club, who's preferred location is beside a freeway off ramp and draws 80,000+ won't lead to congestion??? who elects these idiots?
80k Once a week versus 20k 4 times a week? Come On. At the worse the NHL would be the same, and at normal levels during like jn points out there would at least 100k coming in and out of the city for Leafs 2.

You obviously have never been to say, a bills game? crazy traffic at 8am till well after 7pm, for a 1pm game....

Either way it's a terrible reason to rule one or the other out.

Obviously you know very little about me. My Dad is a Bills season ticket holder (going on 25 years now actually). The fact is, Ralph Wilson Stadium is probably as poorly positioned as you could possibly put a stadium. You're basically talking only one way in and one way out with 4kms of 4 lane roads just to get to the highway and very little traffic flow management. It's basically the prime example of what not to do with a stadium.

Also, I agree it's a dumb reason to rule out one or another. I never suggested I agreed with that. What I was suggesting is that NHL games would have a greater impact on congestion than NFL games would.

Obviously you know very little about me. My Dad is a Bills season ticket holder (going on 25 years now actually). The fact is, Ralph Wilson Stadium is probably as poorly positioned as you could possibly put a stadium. You're basically talking only one way in and one way out with 4kms of 4 lane roads just to get to the highway and very little traffic flow management. It's basically the prime example of what not to do with a stadium.

Also, I agree it's a dumb reason to rule out one or another. I never suggested I agreed with that. What I was suggesting is that NHL games would have a greater impact on congestion than NFL games would.

Ok fair, Ralph Wilson is THE worst stadium in the NFL, but having been to numerous stadiums in other places, IE; Lambeau, Gilette, old meadowlands and the old VET & Lincoln field in Philly... it's always horrible trying to get out of an NFL game, the only place I didn't find it that bad is the superdome in N.O. but I was staying downtown so doesn't really count. The NFL model is to have a stadium surrounded by a sea of parking lots beside a highway... that is not the model for NHL arenas.

Professional athletes like movie stars are grossly overpaid to begin with. That's why you need to take out a mortgage to go to a Leaf or Blue Jay game and enjoy a beer and hotdog. Sure the tickets may be more reasonable...in the beginning. But hockey is a business and how long do you think the cheap tickets will last before they have to start paying the players inflated salaries? I don't think we can support another team. Accessibility is another issue. Everything is downtown, not for the people who live here but for the tourist. I'm surprised the Raptors have lasted this long.

That's why you need to take out a mortgage to go to a Leaf or Blue Jay game and enjoy a beer and hotdog.
Tickets for Blue Jays games still start at $11. I don't recall beer and a hot dog being outrageous last time I was there ... if you need to mortgage your house for this, then your going to find even Marlies tickets too expensive!

Tickets for Blue Jays games still start at $11. I don't recall beer and a hot dog being outrageous last time I was there ... if you need to mortgage your house for this, then your going to find even Marlies tickets too expensive!

he meant outrageous pricing for teams people actually want to see. i.e. raptors, leafs, and soon TFC.

the jays are affordable of you want to sit in the nose bleeds and watch the game on the jumbotron... not so much when you want to be in the lowerdeck.... still cheaper than trying to get good seats at Fenway, Yankee stadium, etc.

he meant outrageous pricing for teams people actually want to see. i.e. raptors, leafs, and soon TFC.
Only one team on that list meets the standard of outrageous pricing AND people actually wanting to see them play. Every other Toronto team is fighting for second place.

he meant outrageous pricing for teams people actually want to see
Well he mentioned Blue Jays.

I'm not sure I even think the $34 Maple Leaf tickets are that expensive ... though the $14 ticket fee is pushing it ... though I guess that's typical these days.

Back