News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

For someone from Toronto, Chicago's big highlights (skyscrapers and arts programming and sporting events) are basically the same as Toronto. They're fine, but not anything worth going all touristy ga-ga over.

I should think one needn't go touristy ga-ga to either appreciate the quality of individual projects in Chicago or see them as profoundly different from Toronto at almost every level of detail, program and aesthetic.

Chicago might not be among the top 10 worldwide, but there are others that would easily put it in the top 5 in North America. On my list it would rank 3rd behind NYC & Vancouver just ahead of Seattle & San Fran. And are you implying Chicago has nothing on Toronto? I'm a huge fan of Toronto and I'll defend it anytime anywhere but Toronto has nothing on Chicago when it comes to the downtown core. Where Toronto puts Chicago to shame is outside the core.

On my list, SF, NYC, Washington, Seattle and Boston are ahead of Chicago. LA is a push. Heck, I had more fun in Las Vegas. I've done Michigan Avenue. I've done the river tour. I've walked around and looked up at the skyscrapers. I've checked out some art galleries, the blues clubs. I haven't done the museums or aquarium, and I spent no time at Millenium Park.

Unlike San Francisco or Manhattan or DC or Boston, my experience in Chicago has been that it's a lot like Toronto, but minus the fun parts. Maybe it's just that I was there on business, but the place left me cold. And, despite enjoying this forum, I'm not really a building geek, so going on a river architectural tour to see a Mies (like TD), an Art Deco exchange (ditto), etc. was a bit of a yawn, frankly. Beer was cold and free, though.

I'll take a walk from Georgetown up to the National Cathedral and Cleveland Park, or a stroll through Chelsea/Soho, or climbing the hills of SF, rather than walking down Michigan. It was opulent, but I couldn't care less about shopping.

And, yes, maybe I'm biased towards Toronto, but I'll take my rollerblade down the Beach and back versus the Lake Shore in Chicago.

The Tribune building is pretty awesome, though.

BTW -- I didn't say NA -- I said US. You'd have to add Montreal, Vancouver, and Toronto ahead of Chicago in my books, which almost pushes it out of my top ten. I'd need to see Miami, San Antonio, maybe Philly again... but Chi-town I find boring.

I should think one needn't go touristy ga-ga to either appreciate the quality of individual projects in Chicago or see them as profoundly different from Toronto at almost every level of detail, program and aesthetic.

Really? Pick three and tell me how much better in 'level of detail, program and aesthetic' they are, because other than three adjectives strung together, I'm not sure how that works. Are you talking buildings? How does 'program' relate to the other two then?

Really? Pick three and tell me how much better in 'level of detail, program and aesthetic' they are, because other than three adjectives strung together, I'm not sure how that works. Are you talking buildings? How does 'program' relate to the other two then?

"detail" = architectural materials
"program" = use, particularly as the building relates to public access
"aesthetic" = general style

And I am not saying "better" I am saying "high quality" and different.

The Tribune Building, the Sears Tower and the Robie House all being three of numerous Chicago buildings that have no ready counterpart in Toronto from any of the above three points.

I'd stress that I actually dislike the Tribune Building for its triumphalist message, but as an example of its type as regards form and construction it is pretty much unmatched.

I'd stress that I actually dislike the Tribune Building for its triumphalist message, but as an example of its type as regards form and construction it is pretty much unmatched.

I cede the field, LM. You & I are talking apples and oranges. I'll take Toronto any day, but I'm talking livability and fun to hang out in, not architecture.

Now, I've never lived in Chicago, but I've been there a number of times (mostly to the core on biz) and I'd say Chicago, IMHO, doesn't even compare to Toronto well, much less 'the greatest cities in the world.' Chicago wouldn't even make my top ten best cities in the US. (Hmmm... check that... wouldn't make my top 5, anyway.) For someone from Toronto, Chicago's big highlights (skyscrapers and arts programming and sporting events) are basically the same as Toronto. They're fine, but not anything worth going all touristy ga-ga over.

I was in Chicago in August and I went pretty touristy ga-ga over it.. :p

The downtown is basically what I wish Toronto was.

I cede the field, LM. You & I are talking apples and oranges. I'll take Toronto any day, but I'm talking livability and fun to hang out in, not architecture.

"Apples and oranges" are exactly the point I was trying to make.

BTW, if you haven't visited the museums, parks and attractions that are Chicago's chief claim to fame, I don't know how you can decide that it's basically the same as Toronto "minus the fun stuff." More like: "it's full of stuff that doesn't interest me personally."

Architecture, a world renowned Art Institute, designer shopping, a dining scene that only rivals NYC, is what i call fun!! I had a blast in Chicago, it's a nice alternative to NYC.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm a huge fan of Toronto and I'll defend it anytime anywhere but Toronto has nothing on Chicago when it comes to the downtown core. Where Toronto puts Chicago to shame is outside the core.

couldn't have said it any better myself. Downtown-wise, Chicago owns... Suburb-wise, the GTA is much nicer/desirable.

Ladies Mile;564633More like: "it's full of stuff that doesn't interest me personally."[/QUOTE said:
Sure. The way this all started was someone saying Chicago was 'objectively' top 5 on the planet, and I replied, no, that's an opinion, and my opinion is that Chicago is more boring than Toronto.

Okay, Riverdale, I can understand how Toronto might be more fun than Chicago, but Seattle? Seattle? Seattle is a pleasant city with a nice, compact downtown, a fantastic public market and a few cool inner city neighbourhoods but, by almost any measure, Chicago blows it away. Chicago's downtown is bigger, more bustling and much more architecturally significant, while its inner city neighbourhoods are far more varied and numerous than those of Seattle. As a visitor, you can pretty much exhaust everything Seattle has to offer in less than 24 hours; you can't say the same about Chicago (or Toronto). I'm not sure which categories you're using to compare Seattle to Chicago, but unless it has to do with interesting natural surroundings and a penchant for rain, I don't see how anyone would rate Seattle higher than Chicago.

couldn't have said it any better myself. Downtown-wise, Chicago owns... Suburb-wise, the GTA is much nicer/desirable.

I know Torontonians have a ver broad definition of downtown but when i say outside the core i'm still referring to Toronto (ie: the beaches, danforth, west queen west, bloor west, college west and so on).

Okay, Riverdale, I can understand how Toronto might be more fun than Chicago, but Seattle? Seattle? Seattle is a pleasant city with a nice, compact downtown, a fantastic public market and a few cool inner city neighbourhoods but, by almost any measure, Chicago blows it away. Chicago's downtown is bigger, more bustling and much more architecturally significant, while its inner city neighbourhoods are far more varied and numerous than those of Seattle. As a visitor, you can pretty much exhaust everything Seattle has to offer in less than 24 hours; you can't say the same about Chicago (or Toronto). I'm not sure which categories you're using to compare Seattle to Chicago, but unless it has to do with interesting natural surroundings and a penchant for rain, I don't see how anyone would rate Seattle higher than Chicago.

Well it depends on the person. Seattle has one of the best if not the best music scene in the US.
Washington has great historic building and such a rich history, though i still prefer Seattle, heck even Portland over it.

Do you mean that the Yonge/Gould building wasn't historic, or simply that people from Chicago wouldn't care about it?

Embarrassing typo--thanks for spotting it. I meant that Chicagoans would be shocked at its being deemed *not* historic. (I went back and corrected it.)

Back