Actually, that plan is no longer going to happen...but what will take its place will likely be better for the area (although likely not as impressive from an architectural perspective).

The park to the west will be, but a little further will remain parkland. To the east is currently undeveloped "brush" and certainly planned for future development.

Oh is that where Sheridan is going to put their campus? They still haven't announced their location. Although we're off topic...

Okay, back on topic. Chicago next to One Park:

Chicago_2009-09-03.jpg

townhouses taking shape at the base of Chicago....pic by Jasonzed at SSC....

09222009010.jpg

32 floors if I counted correctly - only a few weeks until it tops out.

It does look like the concrete on that floor is different and they're about to add the last 4 levels, which are slightly different in style.

Are they referring to all 4 of those top floors as penthouses?

I assume that thicker part is where they'll be adding on the faux Chicago style claddings.

If they really wanted to look Chicago, some criss-crossed structural design would have been more convincing.

I've been to Chicago at least a dozen times and this building does little to remind me of it... those arched windows exist in most bigger east coast or mid west US cities - but the X shaped structural cues, doubled up floors, and spires on all 4 corners - that would have been more uniquely related to Chicago.

OnterieCenter-Aug08-004a.jpg

77WestWacker-001.jpg

900NorthMichigan-006.jpg

JohnHancockCenter-Aug08-002a.jpg

Ah well... I'm not a fan of retro wannabes at all, but they could have done worse than Chicago or One Park. They look more out of place to me than Absolute will, but I'm probably in the minority on that one.

Back