News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.9K     0 

Never got a response from Mike Layton or his campaign. I shot this over:

Meh, in the end, the clueless dippers will still end up voting for him.
When that union army comes running through Trinity Spadina...

They'll get what they deserve

I'm not saying I won't vote for Layton, but the first job of a councillor is to maintain 2 way communication. They're our liaison to City Hall. If during the campaign, we don't get responses to our attempted communication with a candidate, how do we expect they will make it any easier once they're representing us?

I'm pissed right now but I'll cool off and wait for a debate to hear the issues and the policies of each candidate towards them.

I don't live in this ward - I wish I lived in a competitive ward - but Sean McCormick's platform is a little bit odd. He has "Fully roll out NextBus" as a major plank but it's already been rolled out and working for months now.

In any case, I'm jealous. It'd be nice to have a choice. All I've got is Pam McConnell.

Sean McCormick's platform is a little bit odd. He has "Fully roll out NextBus" as a major plank but it's already been rolled out and working for months now.

NextBus is in beta on streetcars only so far, but since Sean specifically referred to streetcars when proposing NextBus, it sure looks like he does not know that one of his platform planks has already been implemented.

Sean also wants the City to build the Liberty Village Pedestrian Bridge, which has already been confirmed and is well into the admittedly-tedious EA process.

the clueless dippers will still end up voting for him (Mike Layton)

Mike Layton has endorsements from Pants, Chow, Layton Sr. and Rosario Marchese, which is no surprise. But NDPers Winnie Ng and Tam Goossen endorsed Karen Sun, who is pointedly running as an independent. Also, the Labour Council has not endorsed a candidate in Ward 19. Kelly Grant asks, "Perhaps the Labour Council is torn between Jack’s son and Karen Sun?"

Mike Layton has endorsements from Pants, Chow, Layton Sr. and Rosario Marchese, which is no surprise. But NDPers Winnie Ng and Tam Goossen endorsed Karen Sun, who is pointedly running as an independent. Also, the Labour Council has not endorsed a candidate in Ward 19. Kelly Grant asks, "Perhaps the Labour Council is torn between Jack’s son and Karen Sun?"

I'm sure my mom and dad would endorse me if I i was to run for council....

I'm pissed right now but I'll cool off and wait for a debate to hear the issues and the policies of each candidate towards them.

Who are you kidding... he can ignore you the rest of the campaign, and you'lll still vote for him. Looks like it will be a battle for NDP supremacy

Last edited:
I just attended a Ward19 all candidates meeting.

Sean McCormack is the most polished of the bunch but he came across as less than genuine and not well versed in city politics. Karen Sun was chosen by most of the candidates as the hardest working person on the campaign. Mike Layton knows City Hall inside and out and had a good answer for any issue thrown at him. The room was pretty hostile towards him because he represents a continuation of Pantalone and most people there seemed to have been burned by his policies on Ossington and some broken promises over the years. The comic relief came from Ted Footman who really told it like it is. He's the regular guy who knows all the issues in the ward and has creative and down to earth solutions for them.

Right now, I'm inclined to support Karen Sun and and the same appeared to be for most of the people in the room. She received the loudest applause. I think people need to start taking her seriously. So far, it's looked like Mike Layton vs Sean McCormack.

Right now, I'm inclined to support Karen Sun and and the same appeared to be for most of the people in the room. She received the loudest applause. I think people need to start taking her seriously.

I was at the debate too, and I'm inclined to agree. I'm 95% sure Karen Sun will get my vote.

The funniest part of the whole night was when Mike Layton, with a straight face, denied having any party affiliation. The audience nearly laughed and booed him off the stage! Layton has also been telling everyone that he is not running on his family connections. And then he introduces them to Olivia Chow.

I was surprised when the audience booed Layton's endorsement of Joe Pantalone. Did that seem like a Ford/Smitherman crowd to you, MetroMan?

I was the nervous guy moderating that debate and, I agree, Karen was impressive. In terms of the anti-Pants sentiment, a lot of people have issues with him for a whole host of reasons. I remember there being a few too many claps at the mentioned of Ford's name. Hopefully the latter was as a result of certain candidates' supporters.

Glad UT people came out!

Having moved into Ward 28, I'm wondering who to vote for. Pam McConnell isn't such a bad councillor, but I can't help but think that it's time for some fresh blood. Any opinions?

Back