News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Is Bolton's challenger, Sims a Conservative or Liberal?

Michael Sims' campaign platform lists these planks:

• No more school closings - if there aren't enough students, then use the spaces for daycares, senior centres, and other community uses
  • Integrate immigrants better
  • Use more Open Source technologies and materials
  • Good governance - smarter spending, accountability, etc.
  • Reward good teachers
  • Keep public schools public - no privatization
  • Environmentalism
  • Move faster on all-day kindergarten
  • Reduce dropout rate
And his blog is pretty critical of what he describes as a lack of openness at the TDSB.

Anyway, the part about rewarding good teachers is often criticized by teachers' unions as right-wing and anti-teacher (and advocates for this policy often are), but more and more liberals are adopting this position. I guess environmentalism, immigration, anti-privatization, and all-day kindergarten is more left-wing, and everything else is general good government stuff. He seems pretty independent to me.

By the way, the TDSB is now investigating Chris Bolton for distributing the flyer, which did indeed list his campaign website. The Toronto Star reported on this today: Was Trustee Campaigning?

Well, isn't that one little happy family?

the Layton's, Chow, Pantalone, Marchese, and now Bolton as an extended family.

All under the entire 'NDP' 'umbrella'.

There is a word for that... it's called corruption, nepotism, and backdoor politics.

What a messy riding that is!

BUT... the politically clueless sheep will continue to vote NDP...

deserve everything they get!

This is all balony. Why wouldn't a candidate support other candidates running for different levels of office if they believe in the same ideals? Somehow it's corruption if it happens with the NDP in Trinity Spadina, but the Liberals and Tories doing everywhere else in the city is ok? Sounds like quite a double standard to me.

This is all balony. Why wouldn't a candidate support other candidates running for different levels of office if they believe in the same ideals? Somehow it's corruption if it happens with the NDP in Trinity Spadina, but the Liberals and Tories doing everywhere else in the city is ok? Sounds like quite a double standard to me.

This is not about people with shared ideals campaigning together.

Principal Maria Pantalone, who is Joe Pantalone's sister, inappropriately (it is alleged) sent children home with campaign literature belonging to Chris Bolton, who is campaigning with Mike Layton, who endorsed Joe Pantalone, who was in turn endorsed by Jack Layton, who is Mike's father, who is married to Olivia Chow, who is the MP for Trinity-Spadina, in which Ward 19 sits. The whole area is rife with family entanglements and conflicts of interest, and this should alarm anyone, regardless of their political values.

So, how should we answer a question like, "How can a principal plead guily to assaulting a child with human feces and still keep her job?" Normally, we might be prepared to accept the explanation that it was an extreme and exceptional incident that would never happen again. But now, is it so unfair for us to wonder if Maria Pantalone has a protector on the TDSB board, who is in turn protected by the local councillor (who is the principal's brother) and the local MP (who is the councillor's anointed successor's stepmom)?

These self-serving relationships are what create true double standards.

From today's Toronto Star:

On waste and getting wasted

Sportscaster Sean McCormick, candidate in Toronto Ward 19 (Trinity-Spadina), is holding a “Rocktoberfest†fundraiser on Saturday, Oct. 16. “The cost is just $35,†says the Facebook event page promoting the event, “which is eligible for a City of Toronto rebate delivered in the new year worth $27! The real cost to you: Just $8.75!†The event page continues: “Here’s the best part — UNLIMITED BEER at no additional cost for the entire night.â€

Opponent Karen Sun, an executive with a nonprofit, sent out a news release Friday criticizing him.

“This rebate is intended to encourage democratic participation, not to help candidates get their supporters drunk,†Sun said in the statement. “How can Ward 19 trust Mr. McCormick to be fiscally responsible when he’s asking taxpayers to buy drinks for his supporters?â€​

If 300 people show up to this Rocktoberfest party, the City will pay over $7,500 is campaign rebates, for what is clearly a promotional event and not a real fundraiser. Kyle Rae got slammed repeatedly for this sort of thing, but at least it was retirement party after almost two decades of service.

Does anybody know if this would pass an audit? I thought food/drinks served at a ticketed fundraiser count as campaign expenses, even if they are donated. And this is apparently Sean's second such party (the first was at Red Bull HQ, which does not surprise me). How can Sean afford to buy all these drinks and still stay under his $30,000 spending limit?

If you plug it, they will come
Free-Beer.jpg

Incidentally, another current vestige of NDP "team signing": the signs for Paula Fletcher and Trustee Cathy Dandy...

Incidentally, another current vestige of NDP "team signing": the signs for Paula Fletcher and Trustee Cathy Dandy...

...and the Greek alphabits lady who's bidding for Case Ootes' seat is also team-signing with Dandy.

Apparently, Sean McCormick's "Rocktoberfest" all-you-can-drink party will take place at The Underground Garage. Never been, but according to Toronto Life, this place has a stripper pole, and a bra and thong hanging from the ceiling. Good lord, why does anybody take this guy seriously?

And next door, the main challenger to Adam Vaughan, Mike Yen, seems to be some sort of fratboy version of Rob Ford.

Came home tonight to find a message on my voicemail. Basically it was about Coun. Mihevc. Apparently he's our "NDP councillor", and helped David Miller waste billions of "our" tax dollars, on the St Clair "Fiasco", and then accused him of wanting to do the same to Eg. (it's a subway tunnel though our ward). If you think Mihevc deserves re-election press 1. If you think it's time for a change press 2. Didn't endorse an alternative candidate.

I have no idea who this came from, though I can guess. I wish I had been home to take the call if it went to an operator. If it was a poll it wasn't exactly the most neutral one out there.

(edit) Ooh, I had forgotten that Joe had pulled the endorse-Smitherman-to-screw-the-buffoon trick today. We already knew Robbie was thinking about interfering with council races including ours but... Man, I really wish I had been home to pick that up.

*69 says 416-477-2684. Possibly a later telemarketer though.

According to Sue-Ann Levy - who obviously knows a thing or two about winning St. Paul's - Shimmy Posen is supposedly within 6 points of Mihevc. I don't believe it. Mihevc faced two high-profile challengers last time, and won with a solid majority.

Torontoist has a round-up of the Ward 19 council race.

People who are sensitive to cognitive dissonance should be careful when reading Sean McCormick's transit plan. He is in favour of subway expansion, but opposes Transit City because it would cost too much to operate (experts estimate that subways cost about three times as much to build and operate as light rail lines). He also opposes electrification of the Georgetown rail corridor. And although McCormick supports suburban subway expansion, calling it "fiscally responsible," he is opposed to the Downtown Relief Line, calling it "pie-in-the-sky."

^ Wow... And have you see the TEA Environment Questionaire?

Karlene Nation is opposed to EVERYTHING. She's against the Green Bin, she's against complete streets, she's even against policies that reduce the number of toxics in our society. WTF?

Ward19 has its share of coo coo's. I knew that. I didn't know that Nation and McCormick were going to be part of that group. Layton, Sun, Footman and Sawinson are the only credible candidates. I'm stuck between Sun and Layton.

Back