News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

I actually foresee this, too. But with the SRT being replaced. Maybe someone else had this thought, too. But as history shows us, Toronto will get a left with a disjointed, unfinished mess once again. So my bet is the original underground LRT between Keele and Laird, and a completed S(L)RT. I'd prefer ROW than nothing connecting the two projects, but that fate is up to the transit gods.

But at least it will be a disjointed mess at two ends instead of one, which will mean that any pro-transit (or even transit natural) mayoral candidate will see the value in finishing the project.

But I think Metrolinx will come through on this one. The Crosstown is their centrepiece, and they don't to see their centrepiece left unfinished, or left dying on the table. It may not be the best solution, but I think they'll come up with something workable.

And I think things will get a lot clearer in the next couple of months. If Ford's Sheppard Subway dies in Council, then Metrolinx and the Province can proceed without needing any "input" from Ford, as his opinion will be basically redundant.

This means that Metrolinx can do what they want with the eastern section, which would likely mean some type of grade separation other than tunnelling.

"some type of grade separation other than tunnelling."

Exactly what I'm looking for. Frees-up funding for other projects (or extending west of Keele), and keeps it as RT.

"some type of grade separation other than tunnelling."

Exactly what I'm looking for. Frees-up funding for other projects (or extending west of Keele), and keeps it as RT.

Bingo. But that would require some creative thinking, something I think that at this point only Metrolinx is prepared to do. If Ford's Sheppard Subway gets shot down, his grip on the TTC will be much looser, giving Metrolinx a bigger role in planning projects.

I still don't see why Sheppard matters at all to the Eglinton X-town. As far as I'm concerned, Sheppard was dead right from the day it was announced, but the Eglinton X-town including the Eastern buried portion actually seems like a viable plan.

And I think things will get a lot clearer in the next couple of months. If Ford's Sheppard Subway dies in Council, then Metrolinx and the Province can proceed without needing any "input" from Ford, as his opinion will be basically redundant.

This means that Metrolinx can do what they want with the eastern section, which would likely mean some type of grade separation other than tunnelling.

I really can't see them doing anything like that without complete buy-in from the city government.

Seeing as how the south-eastern part of Keele/Trethewey/Eglinton intersection has been fenced for a while, is it possibly the location for the Keele North/Trethewey station entrance?

I really can't see them doing anything like that without complete buy-in from the city government.

I agree. Metrolinx isn't about to do a wholesale takeover of the portions of the TTC. Agreements are in place, and they'll just need to be ironed out a bit. It remains to be seen whether "some other kind of grade separation" will satisfy Ford if it means keeping the line rather than burying it (dead, not tunnelled)

Can Metronlix still go with the Original plan exentding the LRT to Hwy2 and then Extend the Bloor Danforth line the the STC/Sheppard East Gweed?

Personally, I doubt it. The B-D extension to STC hasn't really been studied. 2-3 years ago it would have been possible, but now not so much. Continue with the Eglinton-Scarborough through plan, but go for a non-tunelled grade separation option on Eglinton East.

I agree. Metrolinx isn't about to do a wholesale takeover of the portions of the TTC. Agreements are in place, and they'll just need to be ironed out a bit. It remains to be seen whether "some other kind of grade separation" will satisfy Ford if it means keeping the line rather than burying it (dead, not tunnelled)

I think that when Ford's Sheppard Subway gets shot down, he'll hold little weight in the whole transit planning debate. He had his shot to make an impact, and it's going to get shot down. Why should anyone have to sit through what he has to say on the subject?

The TTC may have a say, but I really don't think Ford will.

It remains to be seen whether "some other kind of grade separation" will satisfy Ford if it means keeping the line rather than burying it (dead, not tunnelled)

Ford likes Monorails - for Eglinton East, essentially anything that does not run in traffic would be accpetable to him and he could spin it as a win.

I think that the Province might delay funding the Eglinton East line. This would help their finances for the next few years, and the slowdown (in design as well) would open the door for the next Mayor, if not Ford, to still revert back to the old TC plan.

For Sheppard, I think Ford would know he's defeated before he goes to Council, and thus he would not go. He may be able to scape up some money to extend it a half a station, but he may decide to scrap it and try blaming the Province for not funding transit as they promised (i.e. either if they cut funding in the budget, or he would argue the savings from Eglinton where not given for use on Sheppard as promised - a weak arguement, but he may try).

I noticed when I have been driving along Eglinton west of Keele I no longer see anyone working there. I don't see anyone nor any machines. What is going on?

I think that when Ford's Sheppard Subway gets shot down, he'll hold little weight in the whole transit planning debate. He had his shot to make an impact, and it's going to get shot down. Why should anyone have to sit through what he has to say on the subject?

The TTC may have a say, but I really don't think Ford will.

Even if defeated by the Council majority vote, the mayor's office holds certain powers to make the actual construction harder and slower. The builder, be it TTC or Metrolinx, will have to interact with other City departments, such as roads, zoning, utilities etc. If the mayor makes them seek excuses not to act promptly, and in addition takes forever to analyse any complaints from the residents, it is a recipe for any project to be late and over budget.

I hope that we won't have that problem come the end of 2014, but until then, the mayor needs to be kept content if not happy.

Even if defeated by the Council majority vote, the mayor's office holds certain powers to make the actual construction harder and slower. The builder, be it TTC or Metrolinx, will have to interact with other City departments, such as roads, zoning, utilities etc. If the mayor makes them seek excuses not to act promptly, and in addition takes forever to analyse any complaints from the residents, it is a recipe for any project to be late and over budget.

I'm not sure how this is any different than the OMB overriding what the cities wishes are. Once approved by the province the city is expected to be co-operative.

Aside from that, the Mayors office holds political power only. The province can do anything, including replace the mayor, if they want. If the Province, City Council, papers (like the star and globe), and organizations like the Board of Trade are on one side and the mayor is on the other; then removing those powers from the mayors office would happen pretty quickly.

I hope that we won't have that problem come the end of 2014, but until then, the mayor needs to be kept content if not happy.

Realistically, Eglinton East will still be in the planning/engineering phase and will have either just gone for or just gotten the EA approved by the time the 2014 election comes around. Any construction taking place on Eglinton East will be taking place long after (hopefully) Ford is gone.

I agree that he can potentially make life more difficult for some transit projects, but Eglinton East isn't one of them.

Back