News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Wow… we really are almost there. I’ve been lurking on this thread for at least a year now reading updates and discussions, and it really feels like the grand finale is close. Just, beyond exciting!

LOL its about time. Eglinton and lesie portal.
View attachment 572909

Modify the LRVs with a wedge plow, problem solved.

AoD

Wouldn't be a problem if we had constructed the line as a subway. Just saying. :cool:

View attachment 573297
The time for discussing how the line should have been built is 14 years gone. It's a waste of time to talk about. The only thing to talk about now is what steps can be taken to mitigate the shortcomings of the line in its present form.

The first question we should be asking ourselves is why is the line nearly flush with the roadway to begin with? Putting up a raised concrete or steel divider can't prevent access to the trackway in all circumstances, but could have prevented this particular incident.
I'm late to the party here, but isn't grass the best low-cost mitigation here? is this a section slated for grass, given the concrete isn't flush with the rails for emergency access?

I'm late to the party here, but isn't grass the best low-cost mitigation here? is this a section slated for grass, given the concrete isn't flush with the rails for emergency access?

I am not sure how grass would keep anyone from entering the tracks - considering even rumble strips didn't do so on Queen's Quay. What will truly get that job done is an unforgiving licensing system that keep people with no business on the road away from them.

AoD

I am not sure how grass would keep anyone from entering the tracks - considering even rumble strips didn't do so on Queen's Quay. What will truly get that job done is an unforgiving licensing system that keep people with no business on the road away from them.

AoD
I think a huge patch of green has the best chance of catching someone's eye rather than more concrete and steel measures in an already busy visual environment.

Grass is not in the cards for this section. In part because they can't due to the bridge immediately to the east, and in part because they seem to try and avoid it at the portals, probably due to how poorly it would do in such a shady area.

Dan

AoD
Politically I don't think you're ever going to be able to create meaningful barriers to idiots getting licenses. We have to design for the drivers we have, not the ones we wish the system would put on the road.

The rumble strips aren't enough as you can still drive over them, what's needed are car traps that have a ramp at the entrance so if you come to your senses you can back out. Paint it electric pink, make it reflective, do everything to try and give them a clue, but know that some are clueless. For those, make sure to disable them before they get too far down and need specialized cranes to remove. Design so that any tow truck can get them out of there quick and service can be restored, the hours long shutdowns of the Union loop for this are unacceptable.

I think the goal is mid-December because it's better optics for Metrolinx and the Ontario government to say it opened in 2024, even if it's just barely.

Between mid-December and January 2025 I'd prefer January because of that lol.
Late December also gives them a trial period with a lighter than normal passenger volume, so if there's some catastrophic service issues discovered they have a bit of time to throw resources at a quick fix before the passenger demand picks up again in January.
The risk-averse Metrolinx would probably like that. It would be like a natural soft open, especially with Christmas Day landing on Wednesday this year you have a lot of very low commuter days the rest of the week.

Last edited:

Back