News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Metrolinx did propose going underground beneath the Don all the way to Don Mills until a handful of condo owners complained to Jaye Robinson about the loss of a Leslie stop and the plan was somehow scrapped. Once that happened, the Leslie stop should have been on the south side of the street in order to completely avoid car traffic, but we didn't get that either.

I find Seton Park to be the most appropriate new name for Science Centre Station. It would be one stop east of Sunnybrook Park (Line 5), and just north of Thorncliffe Park and Flemingdon Park on the future Line 3. The park runs behind the former Science Centre buildings. There's also a Seton Park Road, that intersects with Ferrand Drive twice on the SE corner. Sadly, this name wasn't shortlisted.

I wouldn't mind Celestica either.

I guess the one positive here is we avoided the situation where the OL's Flemingdon Park Station is closer to the Science Centre than Science Centre Station is.

I would propose moving the "Flemingdon Park" name to the Crosstown station, while changing the future OL station at Gateway to "Forks of the Don".

I would propose moving the "Flemingdon Park" name to the Crosstown station, while changing the future OL station at Gateway to "Forks of the Don".
The proposed Flemingdon Park station location is already near the north end of the Flemingdon Park area. The actual park being closer to Overlea than the proposed Flemingdon Park station location.

There's a lot of development in the area, particularly in the northeast sector of the Don Mills/Eglinton intersection. Is there anything from all that that lends itself to a decent name.

I didn't say the Crosstown does. That ship has sailed, there is nothing that can be done.

I'm talking about all the subway nonsense going about now. We are electing the most expensive transit option every time and fundamentally neglecting other corridors. Imagine if, instead of fantasies about extending the Sheppard line to Downsview Park and Pickering, we were instead talking about LRTs on Lawrence, York Mills, or Finch East. Upscaling those corridors and spreading out the demand city wide would be a hell of a lot more impressive urban planning strategy than overloading Eglinton and then crying that the capacity does not suffice. Not good enough.

Subways are the nuclear option. Why are there literally no other tools in our arsenal?
When was the last time you saw a subway line closed for years on end? Pretty much every week there is a streetcar line closed for several KM or a bus route with service cut.

For whatever reason subways are more immune to that

For whatever reason subways are more immune to that
I think the TTC just values them more.

My perception is that TTC management cares (in order) about subways, buses and last of all, streetcars. I thought it darkly amusing that Leary touted his achievements in surface ops just as we were seeing massive shutdowns of streetcar service, scathing reports on their maintenance and SOGR backlog, and moribund rules that make the service slower than it needs to be.

The entire TTC surface ops team needs to go, and people who actually care need to be put in place.

(And, yes - I know that surface ops include buses, but I think it’s less politically palatable today to kick buses to the curb.)

My perception is that TTC management cares (in order) about subways, buses and last of all, streetcars. I thought it darkly amusing that Leary touted his achievements in surface ops just as we were seeing massive shutdowns of streetcar service, scathing reports on their maintenance and SOGR backlog, and moribund rules that make the service slower than it needs to be.

The entire TTC surface ops team needs to go, and people who actually care need to be put in place.

(And, yes - I know that surface ops include buses, but I think it’s less politically palatable today to kick buses to the curb.)
I suspect that if we had an external audit of the bus network it would also reveal serious shortcomings similar to those revealed for streetcars and subways. In fairness, both subways and streetcars have far more 'infrastructure' that the TTC maintains (or should). Rails, power, tunnels, stations etc. The bus folk really only have the actual vehicles to worry about and they have lots of spares so if a high number are not working properly they have substitutes available. A bus that breaks down only inconveniences passengers on (or waiting for) that bus; if a streetcar or subway breaks down it blocks the tracks and inconveniences many more - even excluding passenger loads differ greatly.

It's not that it values them more, it's that it is the reality of using their resources efficiently.

Closing a subway line, even at off-peak hours, requires dozens to hundreds of buses, operators, supervisors, red vests, etc. Subways are just more efficient at moving vast numbers of people quickly, so therefore they do try their best to use them to the best of their ability.

And this is to say nothing about the negative perception of the riders going through the ordeal. Getting off a subway train, shuffling up or down stairs, crowding onto an already-crowded vehicle (or maybe waiting one or two or three before being able to squeeze onto one), enduring a slower ride to where you were headed to......it's a slog.

Because of all that, a subway closure is seen as a very last-ditch effort.

Dan

So no opening until at least October. First chance is December as I believe we only get updates every 2 (or 3) weeks.

January 2025 board (as if ...)?

Back