News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

Software update cc @Northern Light

Frankly, I wouldn't believe any date Metrolinx provided before TTC operators get into the system: Metrolinx has never prepared for an high-capacity opening day service before. I expect TTC to has a large list of concerns, though Metrolinx may choose to defer handling most of them.

Frankly, I wouldn't believe any date Metrolinx provided before TTC operators get into the system: Metrolinx has never prepared for an high-capacity opening day service before. I expect TTC to has a large list of concerns, though Metrolinx may choose to defer handling most of them.
Did you read the article? They are actively training TTC staff for operations.

The line is incredibly close. Construction is effectively 100% complete and it's just a matter of staffing the line up. I would be surprised if it doesn't open by end of year.

Any way to project how long it'll take to get between x and y stops? I think they posted a full line speed prediction but that's not helpful for partial trips

Any way to project how long it'll take to get between x and y stops? I think they posted a full line speed prediction but that's not helpful for partial trips
underground will average about 30-35km and above-ground will average about 20-25km/h. So ~14 minutes for Mount Dennis to Yonge St, for example, or 26 minutes for Kennedy to Yonge (this one aligns with the published travel times).

The line is incredibly close. Construction is effectively 100% complete and it's just a matter of staffing the line up. I would be surprised if it doesn't open by end of year.
INB4 Verster makes up some excuse to line up the completion together with phase 2... we all know he wants to get that 1 big photo op for the entire line opening at the same time.

Based on the article the only thing that seems to be standing in the way of an opening date is 95 fully trained TTC drivers and some minor teething issues that could easily be worked out while they are training the drivers. Once that's done the TTC can take over and the 3 months of simulated service begins before opening

Sigh, Yes I mistakenly said "TTC operators" when I meant "TTC operations". Operations including their inspection/maintenance teams too.

There's a big difference between being shown the controls in the cab and puttering back and forth on the track, and the maintenance team being allowed to take all their measuring devices through it. TTC did have full access at one point, then the contractor asked for them to be removed because they kept bringing up issues where TTC spec wasn't met, like rails being out of alignment by a few mm, but the Crosslinx tender wasn't that specific. Crosslinx was legally in the right to demand TTC removal and I've not seen anything from Metrolinx or Crosslinx about the issues TTC staff were bringing up. Were they resolved? Was it decided the contract didn't require it so they're still issues? Will there be work after Crosslinx releases the project to Metrolinx?

Crosslinx is responsible for maintenance but AFAIK they don't pay for bus substitution service when Eglinton Line needs repairs.

Last edited:
Sigh, Yes I mistakenly said "TTC operators" when I meant "TTC operations". Operations including their inspection/maintenance teams too.

There's a big difference between being shown the controls in the cab and puttering back and forth on the track, and the maintenance team being allowed to take all their measuring devices through it. TTC did have full access at one point, then the contractor asked for them to be removed because they kept bringing up issues where TTC spec wasn't met, like rails being out of alignment by a few mm, but the Crosslinx tender wasn't that specific. Crosslinx was legally in the right to demand TTC removal and I've not seen anything from Metrolinx or Crosslinx about the issues TTC staff were bringing up. Were they resolved? Was it decided the contract didn't require it so they're still issues? Will there be work after Crosslinx releases the project to Metrolinx?

Crosslinx is responsible for maintenance but AFAIK they don't pay for bus substitution service when Eglinton Line needs repairs.
The Flexities have an absolute minimum gauge of 1425mm between the rails. Typically the allowed tolerance during the construction phase is -0.00mm/+3.00mm to ensure service starts with an optimal track gauge. During the maintenance phase, however a tolerance of -5.0mm/+15.0mm is considered perfectly acceptable. It's entirely possible that the TTC staff may have mixed up the numbers or misread the specifications.

Based on the article the only thing that seems to be standing in the way of an opening date is 95 fully trained TTC drivers and some minor teething issues that could easily be worked out while they are training the drivers. Once that's done the TTC can take over and the 3 months of simulated service begins before opening
Maybe it will end up opening in December after all

Training staff how to teach drivers is one thing, training drivers and having drivers able to run the line is a different story. Then there is the scheduling of service as well testing the service to make it is correct for opening day is another story. End of the day, 2025 will be opening day,

Close, but no cigars at this time

Given we were told we would have a 3 mo lead time from announcement to opening date, we're running out of time for this to open in 2024 (I'd be surprised if they launched it in December given holiday season, but who am I to say), which means if this isn't announced by August, see you spring 2025 (I can't see Metrolinx wanting to open this in Jan or Feb and risk snow but again, who am I to say)?

Given we were told we would have a 3 mo lead time from announcement to opening date, we're running out of time for this to open in 2024 (I'd be surprised if they launched it in December given holiday season, but who am I to say), which means if this isn't announced by August, see you spring 2025 (I can't see Metrolinx wanting to open this in Jan or Feb and risk snow but again, who am I to say)?
The TYSSE opened in mid-December 2017, so who knows. Obviously it didn't have a surface section, so not quite the same thing, but it's not unprecedented for a December opening to happen. I think if they can open it in December, they will, just to say they opened in 2024.

Back