News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9.4K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.3K     0 

Does anyone believe Mlinx are stalling opening the Eglinton LRT to line up with the opening of the Finch LRT? From an operational standpoint, might make more sense to redo all system maps in one shot as opposed to multiple updates over a 6 - 12 month period.

If anything, I thought it'd be the other way 'round: stalling the opening of Finch to line up with Eglinton.

They are starting to clear the holding area in the back parking lot on the east side of Golden Mile Mall. Used to be filled with equipment and some parking for workers, but it is mostly empty now.

They've been clearing out most of the equipment in a lot of places along the line since mid summer.

Also a LOT more trains these days. Like, almost Line 1 Subway level of frequency (hopefully thats a sign of the frequency levels to expect when its open....)
They just started training on the second class of operators for Line 5 on Monday, @smallspy posted about it in the Finch West thread. The two lines will share an operator pool so I'm not going to be surprised if they start training the third class on the Line 6 trains first given the recent completion of construction there. I also wouldn't be surprised if they're also testing out another release of the train control software at the same time since they can do both at the same time given the changes to it are likely relatively small at this point.

The two TTC board periods of full system testing quoted by smallyspy meant that Sep 24th would've been the deadline for a 2024 opening.
Assuming they'd choose to open a new subway line a couple of days before Christmas. Which sounds like a recipe for disaster, given the extra staffing that might be necessary if things go south.

They just started training on the second class of operators for Line 5
start training the third class on the Line 6 trains
I do not like the route nomenclature. Line 5, without looking that up I have no ideas which one that is. What was wrong with Bloor-Danforth, University-Spadina, Sheppard, Eglinton LRT, etc? These names told us clearly what was what, and could be updated as their routes extended.

So Line 1 would become Ruggles-Yonge-University-Spadina-Allen-Sheppard-Keele-York-Jane

And Line 2 becomes Dundas-Bloor-Danforth-McCowan

Which would make the Ontario Line "Liberty New Street-Bathurst-Queen-Parliament-Pape-Leaside-Don Mills".

I don't see why "Line 5 Eglinton" or "Line 6 Finch West" is confusing.

🤣

I don't see why "Line 5 Eglinton" or "Line 6 Finch West" is confusing.
It’s the name not the number that addresses any confusing. Eglinton LRT, Finch West LRT is all we need. We all knew what the Scarborough RT was referring to; but Line 3? That tells us nothing. Skip the Line whatever #s.

I’m surprised that the TTC’s numerologists haven’t gone after the Waterfront East LRT. I suppose its streetcar rolling stock is a bridge too far even for them.

Last edited:
Next opportunity for the media to ask questions.

With that crowd, I'd assume that's for announcement that Line 5 will open in 3 months. January 5th?

It’s the name not the number that addresses any confusing. Eglinton LRT, Finch West LRT is all we need. We all knew what the Scarborough RT was referring to, but Line 3? That tells us nothing. Skip the Line whatever #s.

I’m surprised that the TTC’s numerologists haven’t gone after the Waterfront East LRT. I suppose its streetcar rolling stock is a bridge too far even for them.
I guess you haven't heard about Line 10 then? :)

The issue is how to do the signage in intermodal stations. It's just simpler to have the coloured line numbers - especially as Line 1 and Line 2 don't have simple names. Particularly at the stations where there's 3 lines intersecting.

Should we remove all the numbers from bus routes and streetcar routes?

Last edited:
Next opportunity for the media to ask questions.

Considering the location is East York, I assume it would be related to the Ontario Line / TOC. Perhaps MSF related or far fetched is the contract execution for Elevated Portion that will be running through that area (this isn't expected till January tho). Doubt it is for the Eglinton LRT or else it would have leaked by now imo

Considering the location is East York, I assume it would be related to the Ontario Line / TOC. Perhaps MSF related or far fetched is the contract execution for Elevated Portion that will be running through that area (this isn't expected till January tho). Doubt it is for the Eglinton LRT or else it would have leaked by now imo
Theyve done 2 groundbreakings for pape and king/bathurst so MSF kinda makes sense?

Back