News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

are they comparing it to cut/cover or dual tunnel?

Cut and cover. Dual tunnel should have little effect on the surface expect the occasion of a building a fire exit or ventilation shaft.

Usually cut and cover is the prefer method for station building and dual tunnel to connect stations together. Sheppard subway was built in this manner.

One of the advantages of dual tunnel i can remember was, if the train derail or something happen, it wouldn't affect the other train in the next tunnel over.

Wow, I was hoping by now there would be more information about the future of Kennedy. None of the 3 open houses (SRT, MLRT, and ELRT) have really addressed the overall plan.

Wow, I was hoping by now there would be more information about the future of Kennedy. None of the 3 open houses (SRT, MLRT, and ELRT) have really addressed the overall plan.

I think the reason Kennedy wasn't address is because their still deciding if the SRT should become a LRT which would delay on how the station would look like if they decide to go with LRT or ART systems.

The same goes with Eglinton-Crosstown, it may have died down, but mumblings of ART trains for Eglinton are possible. causing even more delays on what todo with Keennedy station.

eglintonlrt.jpg
Disappointments with choice of technology aside, I knew that I'd nail the coloring of the new LRTs!

Disappointments with technology discussed now, how much is Eglinton's price tag right now? $4 billion? I don't see why they don't just do the investment and do it "subway" the whole way. I can't imagine that it would be more than 2 times as much as LRT if they Elevated it at each end. Then, travel times would be even shorter, many more people would ride it or choose to get off at it than Bloor-Danforth, and it will have a higher capacity for the people and development it will attract.

*sigh*

Disappointments with technology discussed now, how much is Eglinton's price tag right now? $4 billion? I don't see why they don't just do the investment and do it "subway" the whole way. I can't imagine that it would be more than 2 times as much as LRT if they Elevated it at each end. Then, travel times would be even shorter, many more people would ride it or choose to get off at it than Bloor-Danforth, and it will have a higher capacity for the people and development it will attract.

*sigh*

Agreed.:)

But i keep thinking to myself. Has anyone thought of the level of passenger demand from people who are out of town and use the "LRT" to get into the city from the airport?

Why use the LRT, if you can use Blue22?

If it gets off the ground, from the last few reports going around the idea was pretty much dead. Who would pay $22 for the ride and then connect back up to the subway at union? Then again why have a airport connection at all for the LRT?

One of the ideas floating out there for Eglinton stop at the airport was that it would use the reserved space that was built for Blue22.

There will be an airport express train - that much is clear.

How much it will cost and what colour the trains are might still be up for debate.

There will be an airport express train - that much is clear.

How much it will cost and what colour the trains are might still be up for debate.

The ticket price when the idea was launch a few years ago was $22 because it would be privately run.

Besides people would use the TTC to get around town from the airport instead of using a train that has to connect in with union then pay again to connect to the TTC.

If it does launch i don't see it running for long.

I don't know about that. People won't necessarily be using the Air-Rail Link, only to hop onto the subway. I think a lot of business travelers and downtown residents would welcome a reliable, express trip to the airport/downtown.

Of course this wouldn't void the ELRT's connection with the airport.

Agreed.:)

But i keep thinking to myself. Has anyone thought of the level of passenger demand from people who are out of town and use the "LRT" to get into the city from the airport?
Wait, are you proposing it will be overcapacity due to this?

Last edited:
I don't know about that. People won't necessarily be using the Air-Rail Link, only to hop onto the subway. I think a lot of business travelers and downtown residents would welcome a reliable, express trip to the airport/downtown.

Of course this wouldn't void the ELRT's connection with the airport.

Blue22 was announce years ago before Transit City, and at the time it seem like a good idea because there wasn't any plan transit lines going to the airport. But with Eglinton connecting to the airport i think Blue22 idea is losing speed.

It could be another reason why Metrolinx has been pushing ICTS/ART on the Eglinton line, because in their mind they can have Eglinton service the airport and kill off Blue22. And in order to do that, they need something bigger than a LRT but smaller than a subway. And here is where bombardier comes in with a solution to save the day. :rolleyes:

Wait, are you proposing it will be overcapacity due to this?

It could be. I don't think the TTC or Metolinx has taken into account out of town visitors that may use a subway over a taxi or rent-a-car.

Blue22 will be important. It'll provide those living downtown an easy way to get to the Airport, as well as businesspeople coming from out of town an easy way to get to the Core, where they will most likely be traveling to. Eglinton will provide Airport service to... everyone else. I think that that link alone has the ridership to justify a subway, especially once (if) our public transit becomes used more and more by everyone.

Blue22 will be important. It'll provide those living downtown an easy way to get to the Airport, as well as businesspeople coming from out of town an easy way to get to the Core, where they will most likely be traveling to.

Echo ^^ post 891

Blue22 was announce years ago before Transit City, and at the time it seem like a good idea because there wasn't any plan transit lines going to the airport.

The Eglinton Bus, and the Airport Rocket don't count?

But with Eglinton connecting to the airport i think Blue22 idea is losing speed.

They're both set for funding as part of the MoveOntario2020 plan from McGuinty.

It could be another reason why Metrolinx has been pushing ICTS/ART on the Eglinton line, because in their mind they can have Eglinton service the airport and kill off Blue22. And in order to do that, they need something bigger than a LRT but smaller than a subway.

That's likely due to capacity issues.

Last edited:
Blue22 will be important. It'll provide those living downtown an easy way to get to the Airport, as well as businesspeople coming from out of town an easy way to get to the Core, where they will most likely be traveling to. Eglinton will provide Airport service to... everyone else. I think that that link alone has the ridership to justify a subway, especially once (if) our public transit becomes used more and more by everyone.
I think a light rail line connecting the airport to downtown would attract more airport riders than a light rail line from the airport along Eglinton.

Back