News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.8K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5K     0 

I think a light rail line connecting the airport to downtown would attract more airport riders than a light rail line from the airport along Eglinton.
Huh? I'm not sure what you're talking about exactly, but I was pointing out how Eglinton and the Blue22 aren't really replacements of each other in terms of an Airport link. An Eglinton Subway/LRT would attract a totally different rider base than Blue22 would, and vice-versa. Eglinton might not attract as many riders as Blue22, but it will attract riders that would find Blue22 inconvenient to their needs.

Yonge-Eglinton to Pearson will be 48 minutes with LRT... The slides say the existing bus takes 70 minutes and 3 transfers, but if you go late night you can actually get there in 45 minutes without a transfer on the 307 Eglinton West (no tunnel required ;) )

so I guess a 'cross-town' trip on the LRT from Kennedy to Pearson will take one hour 18 minutes (or 78 minutes)

Last edited:
Blue22 will be important. It'll provide those living downtown an easy way to get to the Airport, as well as businesspeople coming from out of town an easy way to get to the Core, where they will most likely be traveling to. Eglinton will provide Airport service to... everyone else. I think that that link alone has the ridership to justify a subway, especially once (if) our public transit becomes used more and more by everyone.

If your in management and your going downtown from the airport more likely you take a limo or privet car service. If your a employee going downtown from the airport your more likely to take the cheapest ride (eg TTC @ $2.75)

Even though they put funding towards Blue22 they can still cancel the project. Its not in stone yet.

Then again it could be all a nice big cash grab that the province can get instead of the TTC.

The Eglinton Bus, and the Airport Rocket don't count?

No, no they don't :rolleyes:

The line colours seem an interesting choice. Light blue for Eglinton, purple for Don Mills, light green for Jane, brown for Scarborough/Malvern. I wonder if this if official, or just artistic licence.

I find the 850 m stop spacing in the tunnel to be satisfactory, especially if it operates at subway-speed. To me, speed is everything. It's unfortunate the above-ground part will have so many stops, but I guess it's unavoidable. There doesn't really seem to be any unnecessary stops that I noticed. *IF* the Eglinton LRT gives us a comparable ride to the subway, then I'll be satisfied (on this line at least).

Doesn't change my dissatisfaction with the Sheppard corridor and how've they've missed the bus on that entirely.

Hmm, I checked a couple though. Mount Pleasant to Bayview is about 1,100 metres and Bayview to Brentcliffe is 1,400 metres! I'm surprised there isn't at least one at Laird!
Stations at Brentcliffe AND Laird would be overkill IMO, but Laird makes more sense to me than Brentcliffe. Maybe they figured Brentcliffe would be a cheaper.

The North York & Scarborough stops seem fine, but could one or two of the stops between Jane and Martin Grove possibly be eliminated?

I am guessing that they will probably designate some routes for trucks, tractor-trailers, etc. They would done use cross routes and right turns to access their destination.

Not quite analogous, but Ottawa for example does not allow trucks on parkways. It has designated roads for all truck traffic. I could see Toronto doing something similar.
Banning trucks on Eglinton East would be a tough sell.

Downtown to airport would be equally as unattractive if it involved an Eglinton subway. It's only a 5-10 minute improvement over the LRT scenario.

Stations at Brentcliffe AND Laird would be overkill IMO, but Laird makes more sense to me than Brentcliffe.
Agreed, Laird is about 400 metres from Brentcliffe, so that would reduce Bayview to Laird from 1,400 metres to 1,000 metres and make Laird to Leslie 1,300 metres instead of 900 metres; except there is nothing ... and I mean nothing, between Brentcliffe to Leslie.

I don't know about you guys, but I like The crosstown...

My biggest worry were the red lights (Spadina, St.Clair)

Seeing how they want to make sure the LRT is not going to be penalized by the red lights and they are willing to add new roads and reconfigure so intersections, It's a good project.

If the travel times are accurate, its a great project for Toronto

PS:Sheppard east is completely BS

Thanks for the link.
Slide 15 - simple underground stations, no fare barriers?
I think the idea is to have the same fare methodology at all locations, instead of having some stations be onboard POP and other stations have fare barriers.

Speculation a bit, what we *might* see is the underground stations having fare card readers at the station entrances so that you can swipe as you enter the station instead of having to swipe on the vehicle. This wouldn't affect enforcement and would speed up station stops a bit.

I wonder if there would be fare checks between the LRT and the two subway stations it connects with, to avoid a direct escalation of a POP zone to a fare controlled zone? Otherwise, one could see substantial numbers of people walking one stop east or west of the subway station, boarding the LRT without swiping, and then getting on the subway for free. The chances of being caught in an enforcement blitz for the minute that you'd be on the vehicle would be minimal, so I'd certainly think some would try it.

I'd think that in the short-term they'd probably just take the short-term hit; besides, if they think that it is being abused, it's pretty easy to do the occasional inspection of everyone getting off the LRT at a subway station. Wouldn't have to do that very often to get the idea across!

I'd think in the long-term, you'll end up with even the subway lines being POP, as some other cities already do. If you can't show proof you've paid on a train, then you get fined. However, you have to get the fare card widely implemented first, so that everyone is either using a fare card, some kind of pass, or paying cash; and the rare person who pays cash receives a transfer/receipt as they pay. But that'd be a decade or so away ...

Took rough measurements of the LRT underground stations, and they seem to be the same length of the HRT subway stations, 150m or 500 ft. The outside stop platforms are shorter at about 90m long.

The report says they will be starting with 2 car LFLRV trains. The outside stop platforms will be designed initially for 3 car LFLRV trains, when needed.

A 2 car LFLRV train is about 60m long, or equal to 5 standard length buses or almost 4 CLRV's. The outside stop platforms will initially have room for 3 car LFLRV trains, allowing 3 cars to use without additional construction. A 3 car LFLRV train is about 90m long, or equal to 7.5 buses or almost 6 CLRV's.

5 LFLRV's could fit into the underground stations. A 5 car LFLRV trains is close to 150m long, or equal to 12.5 buses or almost 10 CLRV's.

Measurements not exact.

Last edited:
I wondered from the drawing if they've done them, or at least roughed them in as full subway stations. Hmm, so will this be designed so that the tunnel can be upgraded without much pain at some date in the distant future? Someone might appreciate that in 2050 or so.

Took rough measurements of the LRT underground stations, and they seem to be the same length of the HRT subway stations, 150m or 500 ft. The outside stop platforms are shorter at about 90m long.

The report says they will be starting with 2 car LFLRV trains. The outside stop platforms will be designed initially for 3 car LFLRV trains, when needed.

A 2 car LFLRV train is about 60m long, or equal to 5 standard length buses or almost 4 CLRV's. The outside stop platforms will initially have room for 3 car LFLRV trains, allowing 3 cars to use without additional construction. A 3 car LFLRV train is about 90m long, or equal to 7.5 buses or almost 6 CLRV's.

5 LFLRV's could fit into the underground stations. A 5 car LFLRV trains is close to 150m long, or equal to 12.5 buses or almost 10 CLRV's.

Measurements not exact.

The graphic for LRT stations is of a station box which includes 90m platform plus additional 30m at either end for service rooms, etc. Thus 150m.

Read the first few panels. These are not technical drawings.

Back