News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.2K     0 

It does not seem to have changed that much from the last update, at least 2 weeks ago (not sure about the exact date).

Last edited:
Metrolinx was being decidedly ambitious when it decided to get everything done by 2020, and, apparently corners were cut. Not knowing which hole you're supposed to be filling with cement is failing a pretty basic test for a contractor. And they want *all* the stations built *at one time*, instead of in stages, as TTC suggested they should? Oh, boy.

It is telling that Jack Collins is not confirming that the project will be finished in 2020. 2022, here we come.

The sewer mistake is obviously a valid issue, but the reduced lanes & construction is something we need to tolerate if we ever want to build underground transit.

From my perspective, it's necessary. Our transit system needs to catch up and be expanded. We need more transit tunnels & stations built, both for this and other lines, and therefore we need to make it through the years of construction. I'll be personally experiencing this when the construction reaches central Eglinton.

From my perspective, it's necessary. Our transit system needs to catch up and be expanded. We need more transit tunnels & stations built, both for this and other lines, and therefore we need to make it through the years of construction. I'll be personally experiencing this when the construction reaches central Eglinton.

I took the article to be in a lot of ways, minus the contractor sewer flub, to be about whining local businesses who fought to get LRT construction in their neighborhood but now think suddenly it was a terrible idea. traffic lanes will be reduced. Metrolinx has taken careful cause to stage the pilings work to allow some traffic .get over it people its for the greater good in the end.

Well, the good citizens of Oakwood and Eglinton demanded a station, so they're going to get the ensuing mess that results when you build a station box.

Of course, had they just figured out that walking 400 meters to Eglinton West station isn't the end of the world, saves tens of millions of dollars in construction costs and time delays, and makes travel for everyone else about a minute faster, they wouldn't be in this predicament.

Karma.

Well, the good citizens of Oakwood and Eglinton demanded a station, so they're going to get the ensuing mess that results when you build a station box.

Of course, had they just figured out that walking 400 meters to Eglinton West station isn't the end of the world, saves tens of millions of dollars in construction costs and time delays, and makes travel for everyone else about a minute faster, they wouldn't be in this predicament.

Karma.

That's a very strange way of looking at it. They will be getting a transit station, so which actually a very good thing for the residents of Oakwood and Eglinton, not some punishment as you have implied.

As a resident who lives near Eglinton, I view the new transit line as a good thing for us and the transit system in general, and will likely raise property values along it. I'm totally fine with the construction because it will be well worth it. I want an LRT station near my home, and the construction that comes with it, I don't see it as a "predicament".

One big problem Eglinton Avenue has is the lack of alternative routes around the construction. When they were building the initial Yonge Subway, Yonge Street was completely closed off to ALL vehicles, including the streetcars, during installation and removal of the decking. However, they at least were able to detour the traffic at least one, two, or a few short block to Bay Street, Victoria Street, and Church Street. Eglinton Avenue East and West does not have that "luxury".

s0574_fl0008_id49235.jpg

s0574_fl0008_id49237.jpg

s0574_fl0033_id49542.jpg

s0574_fl0004_id49169.jpg

s0574_fl0005_id49171.jpg

s0574_fl0027_id49480.jpg

At least this time the decking is only over the stations and not the rest.

Last edited:
That's a very strange way of looking at it. They will be getting a transit station, so which actually a very good thing for the residents of Oakwood and Eglinton, not some punishment as you have implied.

As a resident who lives near Eglinton, I view the new transit line as a good thing for us and the transit system in general, and will likely raise property values along it. I'm totally fine with the construction because it will be well worth it. I want an LRT station near my home, and the construction that comes with it, I don't see it as a "predicament".

Well, the punishment for the rest of us is that a station at Oakwood (and Chaplin, etc.) will only attract a few thousand walk on passengers but will cost tens of millions to build. It will also increase travel times for the vast majority of EC users. I'm not against the line, I'm against what I think are unnecessary stations. Then again, that ship sailed a long time ago, so me arguing about it on an internet discussion board is sort of moot.

The "karma" is that the residents who demanded this stop in their own interests now get to face the fact that you can't build a subway station without dealing with the dust, noise and disruption that subway construction actually entails.

Well, the punishment for the rest of us is that a station at Oakwood (and Chaplin, etc.) will only attract a few thousand walk on passengers but will cost tens of millions to build. It will also increase travel times for the vast majority of EC users. I'm not against the line, I'm against what I think are unnecessary stations. Then again, that ship sailed a long time ago, so me arguing about it on an internet discussion board is sort of moot.

The "karma" is that the residents who demanded this stop in their own interests now get to face the fact that you can't build a subway station without dealing with the dust, noise and disruption that subway construction actually entails.

Well, there will be tons of construction to go around for everyone near Eglinton for the next 6 years whether there's a stop near by or further down, so, I guess, enjoy the "revenge" lol. :)

With that sort of thinking, maybe we should get rid of and abandon any existing subway station that you don't use.

Maybe start with the stations with the lowest station usage. Use this link to download the PDF. What would be your cut-off point of no return?

Summerhill 5,880
Glencairn 6,140
Old Mill 5,790
Chester 6,760
Bessarion 2,550
Leslie 5,880
?

Last edited:
With that sort of thinking, maybe we should get rid of and abandon any existing subway station that you don't use.

Maybe start with the stations with the lowest station usage. Use this link to download the PDF. What would be your cut-off point of no return?

?

I would close the Sheppard line on evenings and weekends. The lack of riders I see there is cringeworthy.

?

I wouldn't abandon any existing stations, but if we were building these stations from scratch I wouldn't build any of them except Leslie because of its connection to a bus line along an arterial road.

Then again, I wouldn't have built the Sheppard line as a subway at all.

Back