News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

They might grow a back bone since they must have been told by the liberals to be more accommodating since they were a minority. Now, that they're a majority, Metrolinx might feels that they can proceed according to their plan

Now that the Liberals have a majority, they can implement the will of the Liberals based on what the Liberals want, instead of the will of the Liberals based on what the Liberals need in order to get the majority of votes in the Legislature.

There was considerable objection from local citizens on this issue IIRC, so it's not 'councillors hijacking the line'.

That's Metrolinx listening to input from local consultation, and I fail to see how it will be major impediment from the Crosstown's overall operation. I don't think they would have gone ahead with accepting it if it was a truly bad idea.

What local citizens? The people of Leaside will never, ever use this stop.

That's Metrolinx listening to input from local consultation, and I fail to see how it will be major impediment from the Crosstown's overall operation. I don't think they would have gone ahead with accepting it if it was a truly bad idea.

The Leslie stop, by itself, is not an impediment.

The problem is that in order to preserve the Leslie stop, they reverted to the middle-of-the road alignment between the Laird portal and the Don Mills portal.

And that precludes running more frequent service between Yonge and Don Mills, where the demand should be much higher than east of Don Mills.

Technically, it is still possible to select the third option: above-ground, south of the road alignment between the Laird and Don Mills portal. It will cost some extra money (likely, new bridge over West Don). But other than that, all wins: higher frequency will be feasible; Leslie stop will be preserved for whoever wants it; investment in the launch shaft construction will not be wasted.

Unfortunately, I doubt that Metrolinx will reopen the issue, due to political and administrative hurdles. They will stick to the current plan, which is good in general but suboptimal in certain details.

Technically, it is still possible to select the third option: above-ground, south of the road alignment between the Laird and Don Mills portal. It will cost some extra money (likely, new bridge over West Don). But other than that, all wins: higher frequency will be feasible; Leslie stop will be preserved for whoever wants it; investment in the launch shaft construction will not be wasted.

Unfortunately, I doubt that Metrolinx will reopen the issue, due to political and administrative hurdles. They will stick to the current plan, which is good in general but suboptimal in certain details.

The LRT is bound to get overcrowded once it opens, probably much more so west of Don Mills Road. At some point I think that the area around Leslie/Eglinton will have to be rebuilt to fix this problem. Some sort of grade separated interchange would work best.

It may even be less expensive to build the south side alignment - because the pocket and cross-over tracks could be moved from Laird in the middle of road to the south side near Don Mills.
However, it has already been awarded so it will not be changed.

The LRT is bound to get overcrowded once it opens, probably much more so west of Don Mills Road. At some point I think that the area around Leslie/Eglinton will have to be rebuilt to fix this problem. Some sort of grade separated interchange would work best.

Unless usage is massivley larger than expected, the LRT won't be anywhere near the point of overcrowding when it opens.

But yes, I do agree that Leslie and Eglinton will need to be rebuilt eventually.

Wynne won.

It means that the Eglinton Crosstown LRT will be completed and the PCs can't do anything.

Wynne won.

It means that the Eglinton Crosstown LRT will be completed and the PCs can't do anything.

No doubt it will be built as planned. With the stupidest solution to getting from Laird to Don Mills that anyone could have imagined.

Well yeah, but at least there's some methodology to them. It's not like the experts stare at a maps all day and say "ehhhh I guess thing thing will move about 7,000 people. Yea that sounds about right to me"

Back