News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

The Mount Dennis alignment was proposed after the initial EA, because the Mount Dennis mobility hub was a new feature that didn't exist until the McGuinty government pared the line back to end there.

http://www.metrolinx.com/en/projectsandprograms/mobilityhubs/Mount_Dennis_Mobility_Hub_Study_EN.pdf

In this version, the LRT station is under the railway overpass and on the north side of Eglinton Avenue - yes, a side of road alignment..

There is no suggestion of how the line might proceed westwards, but the grades involved certainly suggest that a tunnel would be most practical.

EDIT: The drawings at

http://www.thecrosstown.ca/sites/de.../h-comparativetrafficassessmentmemorandum.pdf

show the line moving to the centerline of Eglinton under and west of the Weston Road intersection.

- Paul

Last edited:
Well Metrolinx is examining varying degrees of grade separation, and City staff have also confirmed that they are looking at side of road alignments, so we'll know soon enough. I suspect side of road might be possible in some locations, and in other locations it'll have to switch to the centre (which isn't unprecedented at all). I expect that it won't work, but we'll see. You never know until it's investigated

My bet is the only place they're contemplating side alignments for Crosstown West is from Mimico Creek (where Eglinton splits from the highway ramsp) westward to Renforth Gateway.

My bet is the only place they're contemplating side alignments for Crosstown West is from Mimico Creek (where Eglinton splits from the highway ramsp) westward to Renforth Gateway.
how is possible to go from side and then eventually centre. This would also make residents there unhappy. If its going underground after Black Creek it might as well stay underground until after Scarlett where it comes up. That section approaching Royal York is quite wide. At least it should make them happy except for the people that live pass Scarlett Rd to Kipling Ave I suppose

Going west. Eglinton Avenue will shift to the south at the old York Municipal Building, over the LRT portal. From the portal the tracks will be going OVER Black Creek Drive on the north side of Eglinton Avenue. After Black Creek Drive the tracks incline into the hill for the Mt. Dennis Station. Under the railway tracks, the tracks (and tail track) will be under Weston Road and continue under Eglington to a portal in the hill leading to Jane Street.
West Portal.jpg

The inclines will be able to be handled by light rail. They would be still steep for heavy rail.

Attachments

• West Portal.jpg
    West Portal.jpg
    358.1 KB · Views: 666
The same was as the 509 at Queens Quay and Spadina, I'd assume. Not sure why possibility would be an issue.

Heck, just have the LRT fly under the westbound lanes of traffic, so the track alignment can go from a north to centre alignment. Similar to what is being done for FWLRT at Highway 27.

The same was as the 509 at Queens Quay and Spadina, I'd assume. Not sure why possibility would be an issue.
But Spadina turns onto Queens Quay so i would think easier. What do you do when the line is straight? Slowly go diagonally from the centre to one side?

Ok I just saw the illustration above.

Last edited:
But Spadina turns onto Queens Quay so i would think easier. What do you do when the line is straight? Slowly go diagonally from the centre to one side?
What's Spadina got to do with the cross-over on Queens Quay? 509 is straight, it doesn't turn at Spadina. If there was absolutely no tracks on Spadina at all, it's still comparable.

If its going underground after Black Creek it might as well stay underground until after Scarlett where it comes up. That section approaching Royal York is quite wide. At least it should make them happy except for the people that live pass Scarlett Rd to Kipling Ave I suppose

There's a fifty foot drop between Weston Road and Jane. Then the Humber and Scarlett, then a very long climb up to Royal York. Your proposal would mean over a mile of tunnel under a wide road through some empty flats and past a river, with two subway-style stations, followed by a half-mile ramp to get back to the surface. It might make sense to elevate it like the section over Black Creek, but a tunnel would be insane.

how is possible to go from side and then eventually centre. This would also make residents there unhappy. If its going underground after Black Creek it might as well stay underground until after Scarlett where it comes up. That section approaching Royal York is quite wide. At least it should make them happy except for the people that live pass Scarlett Rd to Kipling Ave I suppose

The people living in park would be happy? There is zero housing between the western portal (west of Weston Rd) to Humber river. Check it out on Google maps. It's completely park land between Scarlett and the portal.

I don't think it's wise to spend that much money on Crosstown West. Buses run rather empty with lots of room on the entire corridor. From Jane to Royal York, there is only the Plant World, a high rise access west of Scarlett and Emmett that would allow cars to make a left. It's perfectly fine in the middle of the road. Tunneling under the Humber River would result in significantly higher cost for no real purpose. They could do below grade at Jane and block off Emmett. Cars from eastbound could go north on Jane. Scarlett is more tricky. Tunneling would need to be really deep and elevation would need to start beyond east of the river. Royal York intersection has lower usage. It's Islington, Kipling and Martin Grove that really needs the grade separation.

With the Jane LRT as a possible, the current plans is for a grand union between the Jane LRT and the Eglington Crosstown LRT. Whether or not they will actually build the grand union tracks when they construct the Crosstown West (use the tracks as a siding), or just put in a rough-in for it, we'll see.

Having the grand union as a surface intersection would be way, way cheaper than going underground. More likely they would go for a partial union.

220px-Grand_union_diagram.svg.png

I like the elevated option across the flats at Jane because

a) It mitigates the grade problem
b) it avoids the traffic issues at the Jane intersection
c) It minimises impact on the recreational lands in the valley
c) It's a short logical and low-risk place to try some elevated construction in the city, to demonstrate the quality and cost-effectiveness of this method. If we don't try a little of things, we will have endless debates on a hypothetical level with most people not having direct experience with what is being discussed. A real life example is worth a thousand pictures.

As noted, tunneling under the river beds is an utter non-starter.

- Paul

What's Spadina got to do with the cross-over on Queens Quay? 509 is straight, it doesn't turn at Spadina. If there was absolutely no tracks on Spadina at all, it's still comparable.
my goodness sorry, I got mixed up between the 2 and what I meant was the Queens Quay from Union Station is one thing but what I was implying was if the LRT was going westbound on Eglinton, in the centre of the street, grade separated from traffic, then somehow needs to veer to the right and end up on the northside. How would you handle the cars that were in that lane and now there is an LRT? (I was thinking streetcar on St Clair in centre and then has to move over to the side of the road). They would need to cross the tracks now. But as I then saw the illustration and that the LRT is to go over whatever you call it as it approaches Black Creek and goes into the hill of that underpass it makes sense that it ends up on the northside.

But if the plan is it will be in the centre after leaving Weston Road another overpass for the LRT to get on is needed further north or wherever to elevate LRT, That's the only way

Last edited:
There's a fifty foot drop between Weston Road and Jane. Then the Humber and Scarlett, then a very long climb up to Royal York. Your proposal would mean over a mile of tunnel under a wide road through some empty flats and past a river, with two subway-style stations, followed by a half-mile ramp to get back to the surface. It might make sense to elevate it like the section over Black Creek, but a tunnel would be insane.
I had no idea, Boy that street is challenging. Perhaps it needs to be explained better at community meeting and shown graphically on boards people can actually see or on a large monitor. I think once its explained it will make sense

The people living in park would be happy? There is zero housing between the western portal (west of Weston Rd) to Humber river. Check it out on Google maps. It's completely park land between Scarlett and the portal.

on.
I am well aware of that as I took that stretch taking my son to school. I meant houses on streets off Scarlett Ed north of Eglinton and south of Eglinton

Back