News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Can the boring machines be reused?
I have the same question since what happens if we do agree that we should do eglinton west to the airport. We would probably need to tunnel abit to just east of jane to start at the very least and then there is the section at martin grove.

Can the boring machines be reused?
They probably can be, but Caterpillar tunneling is completing its wind down after this project ends. Caterpillar had a buy-back on them, but doubt that will be exercised now. The Sheppard Subway TBMs ended up in Russia.

Historically, other manufacturers have refurbished competitors' machines, so a contractor could buy them and have someone else fix them, likely for a BRIC-country project. Turkey for example, is a huge market for used TBMs these days.

I think I remember reading before that they might bury 1 set and extract the other....or was that for something else............
my recollection is the west ones come out at the old bus terminal, the east ones stay buried.

They probably can be, but Caterpillar tunneling is completing its wind down after this project ends. Caterpillar had a buy-back on them, but doubt that will be exercised now. The Sheppard Subway TBMs ended up in Russia.

Historically, other manufacturers have refurbished competitors' machines, so a contractor could buy them and have someone else fix them, likely for a BRIC-country project. Turkey for example, is a huge market for used TBMs these days.

Is that due to the repair costs (and safety standards)? That it is cheaper for us to buy a new machine than the constant repairs on an older machine? Or do we buy shiny new things for the press release?

Is that due to the repair costs (and safety standards)? That it is cheaper for us to buy a new machine than the constant repairs on an older machine? Or do we buy shiny new things for the press release?

Speed is the main reason. TBMs have reliably gotten ~20% faster per decade (from memory, may not be exact) and more energy efficient at the same time. So, tunnelling costs drop by a similar about since manpower is one of the larger expenses.

If you've got a $500M tunnelling contract, a 10% price reduction pays for new TBMs (break-even) and you get your project finished 6 months earlier.

Official groundbreaking for the Keelesdale Station. See link.

keele_primaryentrance_0.png

Construction begins on first Eglinton Crosstown LRT station

Construction on the first Eglinton Crosstown LRT station began on Thursday, with Ontario Premier Kathleen Wynne and Toronto Mayor John Tory on hand for the ground-breaking ceremony.

Wynne, Tory and other officials were at Keele Street and Eglinton Avenue, the site of the new Keelesdale Station.

“Every dollar we spend on transit – here in Toronto and across Ontario – grows our economy, creates jobs and strengthens our cities and communities,” Wynne said in a statement.

“The Eglinton Crosstown LRT project is part of our record investment in infrastructure.”

Keelesdale Station will have three entrances as well as an off-street bus loop with four bus bays.

Construction on the Eglinton Crosstown LRT is scheduled to finish by 2021.

The new LRT line will have 25 stations and stops along Eglinton between Weston Road and Kennedy Station, and will also link to 54 bus routes, three TTC interchange subway stations and GO Transit, Queen’s Park said.

I can understand not having Mike Harris at the groundbreaking, but why wasn't Patrick Brown (Leader of the Ontario PC Party) not there?

I can understand not having Mike Harris at the groundbreaking, but why wasn't Patrick Brown (Leader of the Ontario PC Party) not there?

I don't see why he would be. The Opposition Leader has no affiliation with this project whatsoever. The Premier, the Mayor, and probably the MP, MPP, and Councillor at least have had some stake in the project.

You didn't see Tom Mulcair at any of the Economic Action Plan announcements.

Ummm...because this is a project funded by the provincial government and he is neither the premier nor a representative of the governing party???

I think construction has also begun on Don Mills Station. Crews have been dismantling billboards and Science Centre signage at the South-West corner, and construction fencing has gone up around the North-East corner. Lot's of heavy equipment on site and the landscaping is being torn up.

Are we gonna have a groundbreaking ceremony for every other station and surface stop too?

View attachment 69576
hurray, that's my stop. I do not see the MPP or councillor in that photo though. Guess we will need to get prepared for development along keele. The old court house on Keele (south of Lawrence ) is up for sale. Humber Hospital on Keele already sold.

I am still trying to understand why 5 years to construct. I thought it takes 3 years to build stations. At Metrolinx meeting last week they sais 25 years

Last edited:
hurray, that's my stop. I do not see the MPP or councillor in that photo though. Guess we will need to get prepared for development along keele. The old court house on Keele (south of Lawrence ) is up for sale. Humber Hospital on Keele already sold.

I am still trying to understand why 5 years to construct. I thought it takes 3 years to build stations. At Metrolinx meeting last week they sais 25 years

I think that 5 years is the opening date for the line, not the station itself. The station will probably be finished earlier, but it will likely sit empty until the line opens. I'd much rather have that than a York U scenario, where the line opening is held up by incomplete stations.

I think that 5 years is the opening date for the line, not the station itself. The station will probably be finished earlier, but it will likely sit empty until the line opens. I'd much rather have that than a York U scenario, where the line opening is held up by incomplete stations.
bur I thought the reason they waited to start construction is they wanted to construct all the stations at once. Well, all the tunnelling west of Bathurst is complete so why not start construction on those stations or at least up to Eglinton West (The Allen)?

Back