News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

Silverthorn should be called Trethewey.

Fairbank should be called Vaughan Road. Note that I added the word "Road" at the end, just like how the high school on that street is called Vaughan Road Academy, not Vaughan Academy.

Forest Hill could keep its name (since it is close to Old Forest Hill Road anyways) or it can be called Bathurst Central (just in case Line 4 is extended westward).

Leaside should be called Bayview South.

Science Centre can keep its name.

Aga Khan should be called Don Valley Parkway.

Aga Khan is the title of the head of the Ismailis; Aga Khan Museum and Ismaili Cultural Centre is the location near Ference and Eg. I generally don't care for using locations as station names despite precedent (Osgood, St Patrick, etc), but if they do want to name stations for nearby landmarks, I'd suggest something like Aga Khan Centre (not to be confused with Aga Khan Metropolitan Centre).

It's nice to finally see these, this is what I was asking for months/years ago when I asked what the stations would look like.

Honestly, I think best way to name a station is by naming them by the intersection if the street name is already taken, such as "Dufferin-Eglinton". I get why Metrolinx would want to name stations by the area (after all, they operate GO), but naming them by the intersection would improve way finding.

Sheesh. I can't believe how few people knew where 'Fairbank' is. Haven't you folks ever had to buy building materials ?

I like the idea of a hyphenated district-crossstreet name eg. Fairbank-Dufferin.

The districts will be a learning experience for many but the convention builds character for the city. So long as the geographic hint is included it will still be helpful. Yes, St Andrew should be St Andrew-King. Some districts may be a bit arbitrary and synthetic - I had never heard anyone refer to 'Corktown' until the last couple of years (but then, until the last couple of years there was no reason to go there ). Let's just not allow faux-historical names like 'Kip District'.

- Paul

I have no problem with Science Centre for a name. People who live there and take transit daily will learn after 5 minutes that that is the name of their station. Out of towers would have a harder time taking transit to the Science Centre if it's not named that. So I think that is a logical trade off.

I have no problem with Science Centre for a name. People who live there and take transit daily will learn after 5 minutes that that is the name of their station. Out of towers would have a harder time taking transit to the Science Centre if it's not named that. So I think that is a logical trade off.
The only issue I have, is that various DRL and LRT plans have put a stop at St. Dennis and Don Mills road, right in front of the Science Centre, that would be better called Science Centre. Though if we are fine to rename the station in the future if necessary it works.

Most people don't seem to learn the neighbourhoods of the city outside of their own area. Even the most famous neighbourhoods like the Annex would stump many people from outside the downtown core though they're important to the city's character. No one learns this stuff except people who are good with geography and local neighbourhood residents.

With that said, people would learn if they had to think "Fairbank = Dufferin and Eglinton". It's a good way to promote neighbourhoods and business improvement areas. Ultimately, it also makes the city more interesting and valuable if people think of it as a group of functioning and varied neighbourhoods rather than random white space arranged on a grid of streets. But it would also be good to put the major street name on station signage like on the University Line for people who don't often use the system.

As for "Aga Khan & Eglinton", it needs to be shortened. How about...KHAN!!
Nah! That's what most Trekkies or Trekkers will think about coming to mind, when they hear that stop announcement.

Most people don't seem to learn the neighbourhoods of the city outside of their own area. Even the most famous neighbourhoods like the Annex would stump many people from outside the downtown core though they're important to the city's character. No one learns this stuff except people who are good with geography and local neighbourhood residents.

With that said, people would learn if they had to think "Fairbank = Dufferin and Eglinton". It's a good way to promote neighbourhoods and business improvement areas. Ultimately, it also makes the city more interesting and valuable if people think of it as a group of functioning and varied neighbourhoods rather than random white space arranged on a grid of streets. But it would also be good to put the major street name on station signage like on the University Line for people who don't often use the system.
I must agree with appending the name of the major cross street after then neighbourhood or landmark for the Eglinton Crosstown. It would make it much easier to identify which major street serves that station.

I can live with most of the names but the one that bugs me is Aga Khan. Historically one does not name places after living people (the exception being royalty). You could argue that the station is named after the first Aga Khan I (Hasan Ali Shah c.1818) or II or III, but without the some sort of distinction one assumes that the names of both the museum and the LRT station apply to the current person using that name (Prince Shah Karim Al Husseini Aga Khan IV). The problem with naming things after living people is sometimes people who are held in high esteem now fall from grace and create an embarrassment later. It also sets a bad precedent. Other living people will want things named after themselves (e.g. the Rob Ford Scarborough-to-Etobicoke mostly underground transit line - formerly known as the Eglinton Crosstown).

Back