News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.9K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 40K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 5.1K     0 

It would be an existing structure at that point in the future and likely not subject to full new rules

The change (adding tracks, tunnels, etc.) would almost certainly be considered a substantial modification. Recall that you can't even know the depth of the DRL at this point. "Roughed in" effectively means a couple of slurry walls.

There won't be a provision for the DRL in the Science Centre design unless drastic changes are made to the existing Project Agreement. It's not in the scope right now. The station is at almost 50% design and construction isn't that far off, so I'd imagine we're well past the time when it could be integrated with a DRL station.

There won't be a provision for the DRL in the Science Centre design unless drastic changes are made to the existing Project Agreement. It's not in the scope right now. The station is at almost 50% design and construction isn't that far off, so I'd imagine we're well past the time when it could be integrated with a DRL station.

As regrettable as it maybe, it's probably not that big a deal - it will be a rather minor engineering challenge in a far more challenging DRL project (my brain aches just thinking about the downtown portion and how difficult it'd be relative to this). Even Eglinton in Crosstown would be more complicated.

AoD

Science Centre station will be a relatively shallow cut and cover station. There should be plenty of room to easily slide the DRL underneath and find some way to connect the two lines.

Science Centre station will be a relatively shallow cut and cover station. There should be plenty of room to easily slide the DRL underneath and find some way to connect the two lines.

Except that a DRL underneath would mean they'll have to dig down again. Better to put in a rough-in (like an unfinished basement) station box with just the concrete walls, ceilings, and floors when they dig out the station box for the Crosstown station.

When Metrolinx tried to drop useless stops such as Ferrand and Leslie, these politicians and loud mouth residents fought for these stops which will be hardly used to be reinstated.

When Metrolinx tried to drop useless stops such as Ferrand and Leslie, these politicians and loud mouth residents fought for these stops which will be hardly used to be reinstated.
can't they still drop them. Any costs, would just be sunk costs but still be worth it in the end as the line would cost less and be faster with fewer stops. These councillors know they can vote for anything and never worry about the costs, whether it will affect them getting elected, etc. Boundaries need to be re-worked so some can lose their spots and then term limits

Motion for grade separation study at Kipling, Martin Grove and Eglinton Flats Passed 42-1

Motion for Eglinton extension to Mississauga and Pearson with negotiations for cost sharing passed unanimously

Cost sharing by Pearson I hope cause this doesn't do much for most people in Mississauga, unless it actually runs to at least Square One (hopefully in a few years all the way to Winston Churchill), however I'm sure the city doesn't want the TTC cannibalizing it's ridership. The Crosstown should've been operated by Metrolinx.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cost sharing by Pearson I hope cause this doesn't do much for most people in Mississauga, unless it actually runs to at least Square One (hopefully in a few years all the way to Winston Churchill), however I'm sure the city doesn't want the TTC cannibalizing it's ridership. The Crosstown should've been operated by Metrolinx.

Except that Toronto Pearson Airport is mostly within the frontiers of the City of Mississauga, except for a very, very small portion which is within the City of Toronto. So Mississauga has to give its blessings.

Motion for grade separation study at Kipling, Martin Grove and Eglinton Flats Passed 42-1

Motion for Eglinton extension to Mississauga and Pearson with negotiations for cost sharing passed unanimously
It doesn't end there.

Councillor Campbell's motion to look at more grade separation at Islington and Royal York passed 32-11.

Except that Toronto Pearson Airport is mostly within the frontiers of the City of Mississauga, except for a very, very small portion which is within the City of Toronto. So Mississauga has to give its blessings.

Blessings are fine, but this isn't the same as York region demanding a subway extension to Vaughan or to Richmond Hill. This is something that the city of Toronto wants to do that provides very little benefit to most people in Mississauga. If the TTC wants to build it that's fine with me just don't expect the City of Mississauga to put up any money.

Blessings are fine, but this isn't the same as York region demanding a subway extension to Vaughan or to Richmond Hill. This is something that the city of Toronto wants to do that provides very little benefit to most people in Mississauga. If the TTC wants to build it that's fine with me just don't expect the City of Mississauga to put up any money.

I agree, it isn't really reasonable - unlike say the Kipling Terminal. Now if they want to do something specific to accommodate the interchange with the transitway, then yes, that portion of the works should be partly funded by Mississauga.

AoD

I wouldn't expect the City of Mississauga to put up any money. The City of Toronto shouldn't have to pay for all of it either though; this is largely the jurisdiction of GTAA and the Government of Canada.
If they can ride those stations between the airport and Renforth Gateway with a Miway fare, they should chip in some funds if the City of Toronto is chipping in some too. As things stand right now, we don't know who's funding the Eglinton West extension. Only the current crosstown is being fully funded by the Government of Ontario.

Back