News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.6K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

I think 2025 is likely. A year from now is essentially June 2024. That‘s not long enough for things to work their way through the courts. So, add another six to seven months and then we‘re into Jan-Feb 2025. But you don’t want to launch a new system in the snow…. so that’s April-May 2025.
I stick to my prediction above. Full system opening in April-May 2025.

I would be curious as to how many of the deficiencies were identified at some point in the past, and what efforts were made between then and now to obtain agreement that they require correction, and how that discussion went.
Some things only emerge when the product is commissioned - but things like water intrusion must have been known pretty much since the outset (heck, UT’era were commenting on them when the first construction phase images were released!)
One wonders is Metrolinx’ “call the lawyera at the first sign of trouble” stance has backfired.
Fleet availability issues are pretty hard to understand when the MF is stuffed with vehicles. Of course, if the signalling has bugs, the fleet is stuck at base - maybe that’s the lack of availability.

- Paul

We like to pile on Verster, but how much is really his fault? I'm not well versed in his role, but from my perspective:

He's not building the line, Crosslinx is.
He's not even responsible for selecting Crosslinx or negotiating their contract, that was before his time.

And lack of communication and openness comes from being muzzled by the minster of transportation as well as possibly being only able to say so much due to the ongoing litigation between Metrolinx and Crosslinx.

We like to pile on Verster, but how much is really his fault? I'm not well versed in his role, but from my perspective:

He's not even responsible for selecting Crosslinx or negotiating their contract, that was before his time.

And lack of communication and openness comes from being muzzled by the minster of transportation as well as possibly being only able to say so much due to the ongoing litigation between Metrolinx and Crosslinx.
I held back from this yesterday, but it does sound like he’s approaching this with tact and humility; not embarrassment. It’s not always about knowing when your wrong- we all know. But the fact that he sees a path forward, and that he will stake his career on righting this wrong, inspires confidence that he can at least steer this ship to port. I am getting the sentiment that, given the delays, Metrolinx’s sole imperative is to deliver the product they promised. That will be one of superb quality no matter how late.

I also imagine a certain number of typically-post-opening issues have managed to be identified now given the huge scope of problems, so I can see them wanting to let this cook to perfection if they’re already late anyway. It seems Mx took the high road and didn’t want to leave any stones unturned. Their philosophy is clearly becoming ’better to deliver a quality product late than a shit one early’ (and no, I’m not taking about the fundamental design of the line- merely it’s efficacy upon opening).

I agree but people have been sacked for less. Why do you think general managers of sports teams are fired after teams lose, same reason. "Burn the witch" and all that. People want to see consequences, they dont care if they are appropriate consequences.

I held back from this yesterday, but it does sound like he’s approaching this with tact and humility; not embarrassment. It’s not always about knowing when your wrong- we all know. But the fact that he sees a path forward, and that he will stake his career on righting this wrong, inspires confidence that he can at least steer this ship to port. I am getting the sentiment that, given the delays, Metrolinx’s sole imperative is to deliver the product they promised. That will be one of superb quality no matter how late.

I also imagine a certain number of typically-post-opening issues have managed to be identified now given the huge scope of problems, so I can see them wanting to let this cook to perfection if they’re already late anyway. It seems Mx took the high road and didn’t want to leave any stone unturned. Their philosophy is clearly becoming ’better to deliver a quality product late than a shit one early’ (and no, I’m not taking about the fundamental design of the line- merely it’s efficacy upon opening).

I agree but people have been sacked for less. Why do you think general managers of sports teams are fired after teams lose, same reason. "Burn the witch" and all that. People want to see consequences, they dont care if they are appropriate consequences.
I would note though General Managers of sports teams are often not actually fired, but simply "relieved of their duties" and then paid to sit at home and do nothing until their contract actually ends.

In this case his contract was up, and they could have simply said "goodbye, Phil" at no cost, which brings us to the important part: was there an honest review and evaluation of his work to see if he was doing a good job, and if there was potentially someone better out there?
Did they actually go and look and have casual conversations with alternative candidates for the job to see if they were available and willing to take it on? Or was it just "well he's already here so it's easiest just to keep him..."

The future looks certain. They can keep saying this for all their updates, we'll just get Finch West, Hurontario, GO RER 100% electrified, Bowmanville Extension, Ontario Line, SSE, Eglinton West just operating from Renforth-Mt Dennis, the ION extension to Cambridge, Line 1 extensions to RHC and Wonderland then both sides to Newmarket, Via HFR across the nation, all day trains to Hamilton, maybe GTA 6, flying cars, 10G celluar data, an actual North American dedicated intercontinental rail system, and all day 15 min GO spaceships to Mars before they announce a true date for when the Crosstown will eventually open.

Last edited:

Back